Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times

Advertisements

From LIC specifically and you're going to midtown in the 50's then yes, you might only be stuck in someone's armpit for 5 minutes. But if you're going to the UWS or other area, it's more like a half hour or more.

5 minutes (or more) in someone's armpit isn't a good vacation experience At least it's not summertime yet when the train cars are chock full of ripeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
From LIC specifically and you're going to midtown in the 50's then yes, you might only be stuck in someone's armpit for 5 minutes. But if you're going to the UWS or other area, it's more like a half hour or more.

5 minutes (or more) in someone's armpit isn't a good vacation experience At least it's not summertime yet when the train cars are chock full of ripeness.
Yes, of course this is all true, but if they are staying at a hotel in Manhattan and need to take the subway to another part of Manhattan, say Midtown to the Upper West Side, they will still be stuck in someone's armpit for the same amount of time they would be if they are saying in LIC, minus the extra 5 minutes from Queens to Manhattan.

I suppose it is easier to take cabs everywhere if you are only in Manhattan, than to try to take a cab over the bridge from Queens and then get to your destination.

I would love to know what the real price difference is between a nice hotel in Manhattan vs a comparably nice hotel in LIC. It's hard to tell when you just look at the rates because they give such a wide range, and it also depends on dates.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes, of course this is all true, but if they are staying at a hotel in Manhattan and need to take the subway to another part of Manhattan, say Midtown to the Upper West Side, they will still be stuck in someone's armpit for the same amount of time they would be if they are saying in LIC, minus the extra 5 minutes from Queens to Manhattan.

I suppose it is easier to take cabs everywhere if you are only in Manhattan, than to try to take a cab over the bridge from Queens and then get to your destination.

I would love to know what the real price difference is between a nice hotel in Manhattan vs a comparably nice hotel in LIC. It's hard to tell when you just look at the rates because they give such a wide range, and it also depends on dates.
True true, subways are inevitable wherever you're staying but it's nice to keep commutes at a minimum if the Manhattan hotels aren't that much more than the ones in Queens.

If you're traveling alone there's no cost benefit to a cab, but if you're in town with friends or relatives then if you divide the cab fee per person it's actually not bad for short distances. Unless you get a stinky cab driver, I don't know what's worse, that or someone's armpit on the subway...

Old 03-23-2015, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Henna, the difference is substantial in price, ameneties and location. There was not one hotel that had such a small price difference of 20 or 3 dollars and I looked all over even in Harlem, which had th enext best rates after LIC. Most places were over 250 a night for a four night stay that is a lot. This did not include city tax and fees. I just spent two days checking for June. The cheapest i could find was a gross bedbug ridden place with a shared room or bath at 160 or so.And only two or three of those places. The nicer places were way above 300 400 bucks a night. Yuk why? And those places had lots of complaints abou bedbugs and other strange mishaps. The cheaper places are mostly hostels. sharing. Ummmmm No thank you. A metro card is only 30 bucks total for a whole week. I don't mind walking.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1teacher View Post
Henna, the difference is substantial in price, ameneties and location. There was not one hotel that had such a small price difference of 20 or 3 dollars and I looked all over even in Harlem, which had th enext best rates after LIC. Most places were over 250 a night for a four night stay that is a lot. This did not include city tax and fees. I just spent two days checking for June. The cheapest i could find was a gross bedbug ridden place with a shared room or bath at 160 or so.And only two or three of those places. The nicer places were way above 300 400 bucks a night. Yuk why? And those places had lots of complaints abou bedbugs and other strange mishaps. The cheaper places are mostly hostels. sharing. Ummmmm No thank you. A metro card is only 30 bucks total for a whole week. I don't mind walking.
When remodeling my house, my wife and I stayed at the Parc Hotel in flushing for $90(weekday)-$110 (weekends) a night includes complementary breakfast and free WiFi, best deal I have had so far (I did it during this winter season). 3 blocks away from the 7 train. The rooms are small, but clean and good quality bed. The staff speaks English and struggles speaking Chinese/mandarin which is ironic for anyone who been to flushing.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
I stayed at the Sheraton (in Flushing) that was decent. Other hotels in the flushing area is The One Hotel that's fairly new. It got good reviews on yelp. The One Boutique Hotel - Hotels - Queens, NY
Btw, I would recommend doing a search on yelp to gather information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: