Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,952 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are taking our 18-year-old nephew, who has really never been out of Texas, to New York City for 8 days this summer. I've been to NYC many times, so I know the typical touristy things to show the two of them (husband has never been to NYC either), but what are some unique things that I may not know about that an 18-year-old boy would enjoy? We aren't afraid to venture out, and will be using public transportation instead of cabs most of the time.

A Yankees game/stadium tour is definitely on our agenda as he is a baseball player and the Texas Rangers will be in town (we are split on our loyalties there) and I'm thinking bicycle rentals in Central Park, as well as one of the cruises around Manhattan and the Roosevelt Island tram for its views. Any other thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated because we really want him to enjoy his trip and not feel like it's just an 'old person's' agenda! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,205 times
You can check out the Circle Line for views of the city

Does he like museums/art? He may enjoy MoMa if he does.

Go to Flushing and check out Chinatown

Bodies Exhibit at the South Street Seaport

Boys his age usually love sneakers/etc - there's a lot of stores in Times Square

Also check if there is any concert he may enjoy - maybe his favorite band is playing at one of the many venues

Our nephew (16) stayed with us last summer for a few weeks and he enjoyed these sorts of things. He's not from the US, but he had been to NYC before.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM

233 posts, read 720,457 times
How about the Chelsea Piers, Intrepid Museum, and taking the Staten Island Ferry for a ride.

There is a free Native American Indian Museum by the South Ferry station that I think would be cool for a kid. I've always wanted to go in there.... Maybe spend a day in lower Manhattan, take in the Ferry ride, go to the bodies exhibit, South Street Seaport, even Wall Street. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, that's always fun.

As far as museums, not sure 18 yo boys are that interested in museums, but the Museum of Natural History is cool.

How about take one of the water taxi's and have lunch at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

My 18 yo niece visits often, but like most girls, she's into shopping, and plenty of that around town....

Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
The Native American museum is good for a quick trip because it's free and it's pretty small so you can see the whole museum pretty fast.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Great ideas, everyone - thanks! The Museum of Natural History and the Intrepid are on our list, but none of us are into art so the other museums are out. I hadn't thought of the Bodies exhibit (I've always wanted to see that myself!) or a concert, so I will add them to the list. Chinatown is a definite - guarantee the kid has never seen anything like that in NE Texas!

Keep the ideas coming and thanks again!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
If he is from a rural area in Texas he may want to go shopping. A lot of kids his age want Apple gadgets or trendy clothes. However, if he is from another city then there isn't a whole lot he can get here that he can't find back home.

You could also take him to see a show on Broadway.

If its a sunny warm day then take him to Sheep's meadow in Central Park. Lots of nice views there that he may appreciate.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
For an 18-year-old boy:

---How about free kayaking on the Hudson River? You have to be able to swim, IIRC, but other than that they give you a vest and let you paddle around (in a limited area or course) for free. There are three locations all on the Hudson, and all are easy to get to via mass transit:

Downtown Boathouse

---Talk a walk through Williamsburg, NYC's current hipster central. Catch the 'L' train and get off at Bedford Ave. You're in the center of it. My young out-of-town relatives always love this, especially on a weekend night, though anytime is good. And similarly, they love walking through the E. Village down St. Mark's Place, 1st, 2nd Aves, Alphabet City, etc. Explain to them that is where "Rent" was set and they perk right up.

---Forget the Brooklyn Bridge. It's under construction and crowded beyond belief in summer tourist season. GO to Delancey Street and instead walk over the Williamsburg Bridge. Views are just as glorious, and when you're into Brooklyn you could walk up Bedford Ave into the aforementioned Willamsburg.

--If you have not done so, of course check out the new World Trade Center site and the 9/11 memorial downtown. It's best to get tickets ahead of time for $2 each.
National September 11 Memorial & Museum | Ticket Selection

--The bicyling in Central Park thing is good, but many of us here swear by biking on the Hudson River greenway bike path. It runs from the Battery north to the George Washington Bridge and is a terrific ride on a nice day. Rent a bike and do this. It's far less touristy than Central Park.

--And a trip to Coney Island, if for no other reason than to put this 18-year-old on the Cyclone, no longer the biggest, but still maybe the most famous roller coaster around. Other rides there too of course, though a lot of Coney Island is in transition from mass to class: How far along that's gotten I don't know.

-- There's also a great aquarium nearby, the New York Aquarium, New York Aquarium which is on the boardwalk in Brighton Beach. It actually has rather impressive shows in it, and opens after Memorial Day. Added attraction is that its in Brighton Beach, NYC's premier Russian neighborhood, so you could wander around there a bit.

And of course miles of beaches in this corner of Brooklyn. They can be crowded as hell -- and dirty too --on a hot weekend. These beaches are, after all, places for the huddled masses yearning to get a sea breeze. But even if you don't swim, you can wade, and the boy can tell his friends back in Texas that he TOUCHED the Atlantic!

Last edited by citylove101; 05-07-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
You could check to see if anything interesting is going on that week on Governors Island. It's a small island that just opened up to the public a few years ago after having been used only for military purposes. It is only open spring/summer. Free ferry service back and forth from Manhattan. You can rent bikes and check out the cannons and forts.

Governors Island

Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Great ideas, everyone - thanks! The Museum of Natural History and the Intrepid are on our list, but none of us are into art so the other museums are out. I hadn't thought of the Bodies exhibit (I've always wanted to see that myself!) or a concert, so I will add them to the list. Chinatown is a definite - guarantee the kid has never seen anything like that in NE Texas!

Keep the ideas coming and thanks again!
The only other museum in Manhattan I would suggest is the Museum of the City of NY as it gives the history of NYC and has unique exhibits such as old toys, a full sized fire engine, etc.

In Queens, there is the Museum of the Moving Image where one can learn how movies are made (as movies were being made in NYC before they started making them in Hollywood, California) and it could be interesting to an 18 year old boy.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
For an 18-year-old boy:

---How about free kayaking on the Hudson River? You have to be able to swim, IIRC, but other than that they give you a vest and let you paddle around (in a limited area or course) for free. There are three locations all on the Hudson, and all are easy to get to via mass transit:

Downtown Boathouse

---Talk a walk through Williamsburg, NYC's current hipster central. Catch the 'L' train and get off at Bedford Ave. You're in the center of it. My young out-of-town relatives always love this, especially on a weekend night, though anytime is good. And similarly, they love walking through the E. Village down St. Mark's Place, 1st, 2nd Aves, Alphabet City, etc. Explain to them that is where "Rent" was set and they perk right up.

---Forget the Brooklyn Bridge. It's under construction and crowded beyond belief in summer tourist season. GO to Delancey Street and instead walk over the Williamsburg Bridge. Views are just as glorious, and when you're into Brooklyn you could walk up Bedford Ave into the aforementioned Willamsburg.

--If you have not done so, of course check out the new World Trade Center site and the 9/11 memorial downtown. It's best to get tickets ahead of time for $2 each.
National September 11 Memorial & Museum | Ticket Selection

--The bicyling in Central Park thing is good, but many of us here swear by biking on the Hudson River greenway bike path. It runs from the Battery north to the George Washington Bridge and is a terrific ride on a nice day. Rent a bike and do this. It's far less touristy than Central Park.

--And a trip to Coney Island, if for no other reason than to put this 18-year-old on the Cyclone, no longer the biggest, but still maybe the most famous roller coaster around. Other rides there too of course, though a lot of Coney Island is in transition from mass to class: How far along that's gotten I don't know.

-- There's also a great aquarium nearby, the New York Aquarium, New York Aquarium which is on the boardwalk in Brighton Beach. It actually has rather impressive shows in it, and opens after Memorial Day. Added attraction is that its in Brighton Beach, NYC's premier Russian neighborhood, so you could wander around there a bit.

And of course miles of beaches in this corner of Brooklyn. They can be crowded as hell -- and dirty too --on a hot weekend. These beaches are, after all, places for the huddled masses yearning to get a sea breeze. But even if you don't swim, you can wade, and the boy can tell his friends back in Texas that he TOUCHED the Atlantic!
GREAT IDEAS!! I haven't been to Williamsburg, so we will definitely do that and Coney Island was suggested by a friend in Brooklyn -- I haven't done that either myself!

And the WTC site is a must, since my husband was college friends with Vic Saracini, the Captain of United flight 175 that hit the second tower. The last time I was in NYC was right after they opened the site up again, when it was nothing but a hole in the ground.

Keep the ideas coming - this is making me look so forward to the trip! (And I will DEFINITELY take him shopping!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City