Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Thank you for the advice all! I spent the weekend figuring out what I should do and how to cut costs even more than I am

Unforunately for me though I've hit the worst case scenerio-I'm unable to even afford to get to work tomorrow; only pocket change in the bank till payday which is thankfully Wed after paying bills. I don't even know if or how to explain this to my boss even though he's aware all the low wage workers are struggling... This is mind boggling and infuriating and goes beyond the walls of my workplace- I'm sure this happens at other companies which view 20 somethings as exploitable low cost labor. It's a systemic problem with corporate America... There is a major disconnect here.

What's the point of working at company that doesn't pay a liveable wage and workers can't even afford to get to work after paying bills; even after cost cutting? What a ridiculous situation!

I know I seem angry (because I am at myself for not being planning ahead a year ago) but it almost seems like the deck is stacked against millenials when it comes to employment.
I feel for you - that really sucks. Some employers are seriously taking advantage, and some use the recession as an excuse to treat people even worse. I hate to say it, but maybe you need to get some of your food from a food pantry so that you have enough left over for other expenses. Hopefully something better will come up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
you don't have family that has businesses, connections or anything?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I understand what the OP is going through. It is happening too much across this country- employers taking advantage of recent graduates through the form of unpaid or low-paying internships. The economy has been so bad up until recently that these companies have gotten away with it. It is very frustrating and I don't have any easy solutions for her. For me personally, I got tired of corporate life and went into business for myself. It has served me well and I make much more than I would have if I stayed. I may go back to it in a few years when I have more experience. But it is very, very difficult to be young with little experience in this city in such an environment. Even with an Ivy degree there seems to be quite a bit of struggle. You have to, at the very least, stop feeling sorry for yourself (which is a challenge because, yes, you have legitimately been taken advantage of most likely). Don't leave any stones unturned. Consider your off time a new full-time job until you find something that you feel compensates you fairly for your time and affords you better opportunity. Every moment of free time you don't put towards networking is another potential connection you didn't get access to. That is how you have to look at it at this point. Employers are always going to try and lowball you. You are a liability to their bottom line. It is YOUR job to negotiate a fairer compensation and if you don't you have not done YOUR job. I would also try to get a waitressing job. You'd be surprised how much you can make at the right place, even just part-time. I also agree that she should take advantage of food pantries until she's in a better position. Do whatever it takes to survive, and realize these situations are temporary. Be strong, work hard, and eventually things will get better. But don't blame your situation on other people. That's not what winners do.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-13-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,603 times
Check your mail....it's not much but it can be the beginning.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM

424 posts, read 973,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I understand what the OP is going through. It is happening too much across this country- employers taking advantage of recent graduates through the form of unpaid or low-paying internships. The economy has been so bad up until recently that these companies have gotten away with it. It is very frustrating and I don't have any easy solutions for her. For me personally, I got tired of corporate life and went into business for myself. It has served me well and I make much more than I would have if I stayed.
I remember your story when you were in the same position I was in NYC (or maybe that was another poster)

That's the solution it seems in the current corporate climate, if corporations aren't treating and/ or compensating you in a fair and equal manner it's time to not allow them to limit your income and make your own. Not everyone can do though I understand. Younger generations are some of the most entrepreneurial for a good reason it seems. Though, being a young entrepreneur in this city is not easy, need to have 3 months living expenses saved up IMO.

Agree 100% about not allowing yourself to become a victim and instead be proactive. I've learned how to cut down grocery expenses, from a former employee who turned me on to $1 stores. Even though it might be a systemic problem I'm still responsible for getting myself into it and can get myself out of it, since like you said it's only a temporary bump in the road.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Have you considered moving somewhere else? If you have a college education, you may be able to get a job that will pay for moving.

Find a place with a lower cost of living - which would be just about anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City