Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 AM

424 posts, read 974,246 times

Advertisements

I need some advice and am getting very frustrated with the way my career is(n't) going. I've been in NYC for 3 years after graduating college and have been interning at a company in Midtown for a little over a year now. I stayed so long because I hoped it would turn into a real poisition. My boss told me no guarantee's after inquiring last week which was disappinting. Before this I was also at low paying internships and despite having sent resumes out for positions I haven't advanced much since I've arrived in my field. Living on $1,366 per month has pushed me to the edge even after lowering expenses and now I'm behind on rent... getting frustrated with myself and the sitiuation now. Not the path to go down.

Almost had a breaking point after on the subway this morning (for those who take the A who live above 145th Street now what I'm talking about) caused me to be 30 mins late- even though I left early.
As the minutes ticked by I thought it might be good to just quit since I'm not being compensated at a salary I can live a reasonable distance from where I work or even pay the rent for my room. Though, going from having barely any money to no money would be a nightmare. I really had to wrestle with myself not to hand in my two weeks notice since I'm not using skills from my degree in urban planning either (a field that has seemed to to evaporate after the crash

Thankfully, the lady I'm renting the room from is understanding once I revealed I was struggling.
Everyone I know who has a real job that pays a real salary has networked their way to that position; all well paying positions they got in about 6 months to one year and are all recent college graduates... they did it the smart and efficent way. Feeling like an idiot for mit developing my network here and am really paying for it (quite literally)

I really need to start networking but I don't have a kind of network that would get me an entry level position in my field or at least a related field. Applying for jobs on Craigslist and Indeed is proving to be useless since people filling these positions recieve hundreds resumes for every open position. And in NYC it's super competitive to even get an interview.

Appologies for the rant but am in serious need of advice of how to develop a network here to get me where I'd like to be professionally. I know others have/ are going through this now and can relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Go back to your college and talk to a careers person there. They have to have some sort of seminars or meet n greets with people in the field. Attend them. Talk to people. Ask if they wouldn't mind meeting up for lunch or coffee to talk about this great idea you have or something like that. Don't mention job. Once you start talking with the people in the field and they feel comfortable with you, don't ask them for a job, ask them if they know of anyone hiring.

Also, join a group of urban planners. There has to be one on meetup.com.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Living on $1,366 per month
Net, I hope! Still, ridiculously low, for NYC.
Have you sought a second, part-time job? Not necessarily in your field, but one that pays a few dollars and could lead to something.
Quote:
Everyone I know who has a real job that pays a real salary has networked their way to that position ... I really need to start networking
Can you utilize these people that you know? Are their backgrounds/goals similar to yours? Ask them if there's hiring at their employer, or if they have heard of opening elsewhere in the industry.
There's always the possibility that it's you. Friends/acquaintances aren't always willing to spell out your flaws, even if minor. You may have to ask, repeatedly, to get some frank input, even at the risk of losing a friend or two. Don't be upset, if the truth hurts. Change yourself, even a little bit. It may help.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
college =/= job

networking = job

Learn to network.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM

424 posts, read 974,246 times
Skinayyy, thanks going to take that advice with meetup.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
college =/= job

networking = job

Learn to network.
This is what I'm learning the hard way. I'd like to write my university for a refund right about now... "It's not what you know but who you know" is all my professors should have said. Though, my fault though for not being more savvy about jobs and the where the demand was shifting for degrees employers were seeking.

Almost ready to bartender nights since I'd nearly make my rent in one or two shifts. Bartending gigs at places that actually pay more than the rent are unfortunately hard to secure also, especially with no experience.

bigjake, after all this time- it's me. The economy is still bad but that doesn't mean it's impossible to find a real job. By now you'd think I'd actually have one. I'm looking to change myself a bit to come off as more socialable. People who tend to get ahead financially in NYC (from what I've seen) tend to be more extroverted and assertive. I'm a bit of an introvert and am inherently at a disadvantage. Seems this character trait is about to land me in the poor house

The 3 freinds who have well paying jobs that I can utliize work in medical physics, advertising, the other is investment analyst with Goldman. Unrelated fields but well connected industries so who knows; a search through their LinkedIn contacts might not hurt.

Last edited by ehanson; 05-08-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Wat field/industry are you currently working in such that it is hard to find a FT job after 3 years?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Wat field/industry are you currently working in such that it is hard to find a FT job after 3 years?
I think the issue is the lack of social networking with influential individuals in his field.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Also he says his degree is in Urban Planning. Not a growth field.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM

127 posts, read 183,709 times
I always keep looking for jobs and have a back-up plan because employers have no loyalty nowadays. In doing that, I've seen lots of job listings for dog-walkers, and since there are tons of real estate companies here, plenty of posts asking for help. It can be anything from office manager to admin assistant to marketer to agent. You don't need a license for some of these places, and with a background in urban planning, I'm sure you could be an asset. Worth a try? As far as temping, I've heard that Merlin Associates is very good. Many new grads recommend them. Give them a call.

I understand how difficult it is to network. It's not only introverts who have issues. I am an extremely extroverted person...so much so that every deli owner in a two-mile radius knows my name now and gives me free stuff, and the issue I run into with networking comes down to reciprocity. One time, when I was in need back home (working for a company that had one year of financial solvency left), I called up a guy who I had saved from getting fired on numerous occasions. We were both managers at the same company for three years. I had also helped him with his resume and hooked him up with my headhunter, not to mention, gave his name to a recruiter who called me up for a job better suited to him. We did go out for coffee (nothing of it, I just gave a run-down of other companies I was talking to). Then he ignored my email for six months, told me to call the recruiter I gave to HIM, and after that, suggested I should just give up and go on SSDI. The whole thing reeked of less than zero effort.

I wish I could say this type of response was rare for me, but I'm sadly afraid it is quite frequent and has made me less and less willing to help others. So I totally understand your predicament.

Meetups are said to be quite good here. Is there one for your profession or a related profession? What about art exhibits? Other social gatherings? Maybe focusing on making friends moreso than connections could help. It worked for my husband...

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
I need some advice and am getting very frustrated with the way my career is(n't) going. I've been in NYC for 3 years after graduating college and have been interning at a company in Midtown for a little over a year now. I stayed so long because I hoped it would turn into a real poisition. My boss told me no guarantee's after inquiring last week which was disappinting. Before this I was also at low paying internships and despite having sent resumes out for positions I haven't advanced much since I've arrived in my field. Living on $1,366 per month has pushed me to the edge even after lowering expenses and now I'm behind on rent... getting frustrated with myself and the sitiuation now. Not the path to go down.

Almost had a breaking point after on the subway this morning (for those who take the A who live above 145th Street now what I'm talking about) caused me to be 30 mins late- even though I left early.
As the minutes ticked by I thought it might be good to just quit since I'm not being compensated at a salary I can live a reasonable distance from where I work or even pay the rent for my room. Though, going from having barely any money to no money would be a nightmare. I really had to wrestle with myself not to hand in my two weeks notice since I'm not using skills from my degree in urban planning either (a field that has seemed to to evaporate after the crash

Thankfully, the lady I'm renting the room from is understanding once I revealed I was struggling.
Everyone I know who has a real job that pays a real salary has networked their way to that position; all well paying positions they got in about 6 months to one year and are all recent college graduates... they did it the smart and efficent way. Feeling like an idiot for mit developing my network here and am really paying for it (quite literally)

I really need to start networking but I don't have a kind of network that would get me an entry level position in my field or at least a related field. Applying for jobs on Craigslist and Indeed is proving to be useless since people filling these positions recieve hundreds resumes for every open position. And in NYC it's super competitive to even get an interview.

Appologies for the rant but am in serious need of advice of how to develop a network here to get me where I'd like to be professionally. I know others have/ are going through this now and can relate.
NYC has some of the fiercest job competitiveness in the whole entire country. If I'm mistaken I think 1/4 people in NYC has a 4 year degree and they all compete for professional jobs within their fields as well as outside their fields of study. What made the job competition worse here in NYC is density, to many out of towners who after they graduate college flock to NYC hoping they can make it buy renting an expensive apartment, taking part in gentrification scene and obtaining jobs that locals used to easily get on the fly. Even though I'm employed fulltime and make a decent wage/salary, I'm still not content. I just came back from an job interview in NJ for a managers position and not sure if I will get it. I learned to broaden my horizons and look for jobs elsewhere and no longer can depend on NYC for prospective employment unless if it is for a civil position. What college did you go to? Can you link up with your college Alumni like most Transplants do? that's how some gain employment is through their college alumni. I just hope everything for you works out. And by the way the A train is horrible. I had to take the A train to GWB bus terminal to get to Jersey for my interview, I was 30 minutes late myself and I took went on a tirade at 145th street station. Even though it runs 24 hours and 7 days week, service has become unbearable/crowded and it goes in hand with lack of decent waged jobs, and high rents, all three things that I hate about NYC now a days. In a few days I'm off to Texas for a bit to see what's out there.

College graduation is right around the corner, plenty of educated locals will probably seek employment outside of the city while tens and tens of thousands of migrants across the country will flood Williamsburg, Astoria, LIC, Park Slope, Bedstuy, Bushwick, Fort green, Greenpoint, Cobble HIll, Most of lower Manhattan, Harlem and a few hundred may settle in the South Bronx and the heights looking for a places to live that's close to the city that offers easy access to their professional jobs! Good luck Hanson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
college =/= job

networking = job

Learn to network.
very true, a very important for lesson for all people in NYC regardless of race, income, local or transplant or immigrant. Network is key to success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Also he says his degree is in Urban Planning. Not a growth field.
Not that its a growth field, personally NYC has enough urban planners already. If it was me I would check out DC or other cities who need Urban Planners. Not to say the op can land a job in NYC, with a degree like Urban Planning he should try to seek a civil servant job from the DOT.

Also op, did you incur any debts from attending college? how do you expect to pay back tuition without a job without ruining your credit score?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-08-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City