Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

The concept of NYers being rude only applies to Americans from other part of the country. Asians and Europeans are used to NYers' mannerism. In many parts of the world such Asia, middle east and Latin America, there's no concept of road sharing manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:27 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The concept of NYers being rude only applies to Americans from other part of the country. Asians and Europeans are used to NYers' mannerism. In many parts of the world such Asia, middle east and Latin America, there's no concept of road sharing manners.
There is no "NY mannerism". Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Old thread. Every New Yorker I have met has been friendly and welcoming. My first visit was 4 years ago.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungNativeNYer View Post
This applies to natives and those who moved from out of state and call NY their home.

I have found the majority of regular NYers are very down to earth, I am a 4th generation NYer, my family came here in the late 1800s and I am 23. I am Irish, Italian and German descent, and have been to all parts of NY, I am talking real neighborhoods(outer boroughs) not SoHo. Most people seem to be polite, helpful and respectful. I don't understand where this dumb stereotype comes from? Most Nyers are just real, we tell it how it is and I think that is more helpful than lying to somebody just to make them feel better. I think you would have been hard-pressed to find first responders(like my father who still suffers health issues from that), risking their lives to save people like what happened on 9/11/01 and Hurricane Sandy elsewhere in the country.
I agree. NYers are some of most kind-hearted people I have met.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
If tourists stop coming to NY, I would imagine it would hurt your economy. I am sure the family you speak of were tourists, and they were fascinated by your city. I love parts of New York City, but I don't love the attitude that your need to be somewhere trumps my need to see the city.
If people are late to work, they could be jeopardizing their jobs .. so yeah I would say that trumps your 'want' to see the city (it's not a 'need', it's a 'want').

Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, tourism is a good-sized part of the economy. My dear, I work at the World Trade Center. I look out my window and see thousands of tourists every day, walk through them hearing every language in the world being spoken. Trust me, they are not going to stop coming, and fortunately, the rude tourists are in the minority. Oh yes, we get not only the jerks who don't care that people have to go to work in the same place where they are having vacation, but we get even better ones, the kind that plant their fat behinds on the names of the 9/11 dead lining the memorial pools while they grin and take a selfie to send to their pals back in West Buttheadsville.

I'm sorry you don't love the attitude that my need to be somewhere trumps your need to see the city, but your being on vacation doesn't stop the fact that we've got to work for a living. If I drove to your hometown, then parked my car in the middle of the main street blocking traffic during the hours when people are going to work or school just so I could look at my surroundings, that would be OK? Would my need to see your hometown from the middle of the thoroughfare trump everyone else's need to get to work or school or the doctor? Of course not. It's the same thing.

Of course you want to see the city. Come. But have the courtesy to be aware of your surroundings and the fact that there are many, many people around you who need to get to work, or make deliveries, or be on time for a meeting. Again. Be aware of your surroundings, especially your fellow human beings and whether they need to get past you or enter a doorway or cross a street where you are located. You are interacting with a much larger community of people in limited space in a walking environment. It's the only way it works.
All of this. I really love your posts

Old 06-04-2019, 03:17 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Born in the rural west 1952 (NM) , raised in my informative years from a child of 6 yo to a young working adult of 25 in NYC (Queens), I know it's not really NYC. Attended CUNY then Left NYC after college and moved to LI.... then moved south in the late 70's. I've been a longtime resident of the south (TN and FL) and I believe I've got a perspective from all angles.

Questions lead to answers. Ever wonder who so many people leave NYC? There is no "single' answer, however I'd hard pressed to believe ... 'cause NYC is "good".

Rudeness is part of y'alls DNA. You don't even know it's there, you can't see it, can't feel it, no one else is offended because it's "normal" behavior for NYC. You can't change, and you won't change. It's just the way it is. The single most obnoxious rude comment we hear from NY'ers.... "um that's not how we do it up north".

Hey! *scre-w* you Dave.... beat you to it. Bless your hearts

OK... flame suit on

Old 06-05-2019, 09:34 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
All of this. I really love your posts
I am glad you do. I noticed in my post that it said, "I work at the World Trade Center", so I had to go back and see when the post was from. I retired from there a little more than three years ago!" (Still work PT in the area occasionally.)

Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am glad you do. I noticed in my post that it said, "I work at the World Trade Center", so I had to go back and see when the post was from. I retired from there a little more than three years ago!" (Still work PT in the area occasionally.)
Were you there during 9/11?

Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Born in the rural west 1952 (NM) , raised in my informative years from a child of 6 yo to a young working adult of 25 in NYC (Queens), I know it's not really NYC. Attended CUNY then Left NYC after college and moved to LI.... then moved south in the late 70's. I've been a longtime resident of the south (TN and FL) and I believe I've got a perspective from all angles.

Questions lead to answers. Ever wonder who so many people leave NYC? There is no "single' answer, however I'd hard pressed to believe ... 'cause NYC is "good".

Rudeness is part of y'alls DNA. You don't even know it's there, you can't see it, can't feel it, no one else is offended because it's "normal" behavior for NYC. You can't change, and you won't change. It's just the way it is. The single most obnoxious rude comment we hear from NY'ers.... "um that's not how we do it up north".

Hey! *scre-w* you Dave.... beat you to it. Bless your hearts

OK... flame suit on
NYers are not rude. We just have places to be, things to do, people to see and it's a fast-paced way of life. It's not that I don't want to talk to you as you're in line behind me in Starbucks, it's that I need my tea now b/c I have a meeting in 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City