Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,517 times

Advertisements

I see the "yes ma'am, sir" thing in my area but there are a lot of newcomers who don't really get that yet. But as soon as people become deeply attuned to American culture they say good morning and good evening in the elevator and on transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 10:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Majority of non NYers are blindly rude. You don't stand in the middle of the side walk with your entire family blocking traffic and expect people to walk onto the road around you. Alot of tourists don't have the concept they are sharing the sidewalk. Many southerners have this standing your ground mentality. Including driving in the streets.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Majority of non NYers are blindly rude. You don't stand in the middle of the side walk with your entire family blocking traffic and expect people to walk onto the road around you. Alot of tourists don't have the concept they are sharing the sidewalk. Many southerners have this standing your ground mentality. Including driving in the streets.

Exactly! They don't see it as people are having to navigate around a lot of people and then when they block the way, they make it even worse.

Yes, they do have this stand your ground mentality. I have become pretty concerned about some of what I see on the internet. People are so ready to shoot (and oftentimes black people are the ones they are talking about). This doesn't go to say that NYC isn't racist too.

If you are a pedestrian in Atlanta, it's like you never have the right-of-way.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:35 PM

20 posts, read 19,019 times
ill tell u 1 thing I have been living in nc for 8 years and ny drivers are the worst!!!lol I'm from the bx and everytime I come up to nyc to visit family its just crazy. the perception of ny being rude is just because you have to be aggressive in ny as opposed to being in the south. if not you will get taken advantage of in ny.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:53 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,161 times
This topic is loaded with more bad data than anything I have ever seen.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:32 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I'd say there are two different things going on.

One, like you say, native New Yorkers or just people who've lived here a long time tend to be direct and to the point, which is perceived as rude in some parts of the country.

Two, the city attracts extremely ambitious people who are trying to claw their way to the top of just about every field you can think of, and those people often actually are rude and mean.

I agree with you, I've lived here for ten years and I find New Yorkers to be very friendly.

The directness of NYers (both those born here and others who arrive from elsewhere but who have lived in the city for a long time) intimidates many. Directness defined as an ability to say what one thinks, and a lack of inhibitions in identifying one's ambitions.

NYC has a much stronger social safety net than most other parts of the USA, even the supposedly liberal San Francisco, so we certainly don't lack empathy.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

its not rudeness. Its the fact that they don't understand that in NYC one must behave on the sidewalk just as one behaves on the road. This is a dense walking city so they has to be flow in how people move around. To them the sidewalk is like a mall.

I however lack sympathy if someone from a city like London or Paris does this as those cities have the same issues and therefore similar sidewalk etiquette.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Mike View Post
I also think it can go the other way. Some people in New York stereotype people from other parts of the country as somehow less then for some reason. I think we all have a tendency to see ourselves as good and others as wrong.

I cannot deny that this is true. I have to frequently tell folks that you cannot be condescending to people and expect them to vote for the candidate that you prefer. To many "fly over country" is to be ignored, except that many live there.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
I don't get how people in NYC are more "direct" than other places. I know so many native New Yorkers who are passive aggressive.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:43 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The directness of NYers (both those born here and others who arrive from elsewhere but who have lived in the city for a long time) intimidates many. Directness defined as an ability to say what one thinks, and a lack of inhibitions in identifying one's ambitions.

NYC has a much stronger social safety net than most other parts of the USA, even the supposedly liberal San Francisco, so we certainly don't lack empathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I don't get how people in NYC are more "direct" than other places. I know so many native New Yorkers who are passive aggressive.

I've definitely seen this. I actually appreciate the directness. If someone doesn't like you, you know about it. It's better than having fake a** people around you all the time. They smile in your face but they're not nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City