Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
People really really really do get on the bus from places like Kentucky and head to the nearest shelter once they arrive. It's too much.
This is very true. It is because there are no shelters in a lot of places. In places like Kentucky they have section 8, and food stamps, but a person will need a job to show that they can pay for utilities before they can receive section 8. There is no cash assistance.

Another poster did ask why would someone want to move to the PJ's? Many applying for rent assistance in the Bronx that work but cannot pay $1200 or $1500 rent that are now applying for PA and Federal programs (there are others besides Section 8).

Another poster asked why people should be entitled to live in NYC or more specifically in the PJ's in Manhattan? There are various reasons, usually because they are close to family and that's their support system. The city used to seperate people from their families and deliberately move them out to Far Rockaway when their family was in Manhattan or the Bronx. Or Manhattan when the family was in Far Rockaway. This leaves the person moving into a PJ apt and their children very vulnerable with no neighbors that know you to let you know Jr is not attending school while you go to work. Or a safe place for Jr to go to until you come home from work.

Many working people live in the PJ's many are paying the highest rents that can be charged in the PJ's. Many of these people are City, State and other Government workers.

Some posters write as if they wouldn't mind living in one if it were in Manhattan or close to Manhattan. If you are working you would have a preference I would think after the disabled. Go ahead and apply. The other working residents trying to make a nice home and community for themselves would not mind at all if other like minded people joined them. Some apts are quite nice inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This is very true. It is because there are no shelters in a lot of places. In places like Kentucky they have section 8, and food stamps, but a person will need a job to show that they can pay for utilities before they can receive section 8. There is no cash assistance.

Another poster did ask why would someone want to move to the PJ's? Many applying for rent assistance in the Bronx that work but cannot pay $1200 or $1500 rent that are now applying for PA and Federal programs (there are others besides Section 8).

Another poster asked why people should be entitled to live in NYC or more specifically in the PJ's in Manhattan? There are various reasons, usually because they are close to family and that's their support system. The city used to seperate people from their families and deliberately move them out to Far Rockaway when their family was in Manhattan or the Bronx. Or Manhattan when the family was in Far Rockaway. This leaves the person moving into a PJ apt and their children very vulnerable with no neighbors that know you to let you know Jr is not attending school while you go to work. Or a safe place for Jr to go to until you come home from work.
In the words of Justin Timberlake, Cry Me a River. Its not New York's fault if Kentucky doesn't take care of its people. I know the liberals wanted to take in every down and out person to increase their power base ,but this is being cut big time federally and even by Albany. One rental program by HRA, City Advantage, was eliminated entirely when Cuomo cut that budget out.

HASA, another HRA rental assistance program, has been severely reduced.

As for being near their families, working people have to go where they can find a job or where they can pay the rent. Its not the taxpayer's responsiblity to keep you close to mommy and daddy. Oh, and the city never could have moved anyone anywhere if they had been responsible enough to get their own places.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In the words of Justin Timberlake, Cry Me a River. Its not New York's fault if Kentucky doesn't take care of its people. I know the liberals wanted to take in every down and out person to increase their power base ,but this is being cut big time federally and even by Albany. One rental program by HRA, City Advantage, was eliminated entirely when Cuomo cut that budget out.

HASA, another HRA rental assistance program, has been severely reduced.

As for being near their families, working people have to go where they can find a job or where they can pay the rent. Its not the taxpayer's responsiblity to keep you close to mommy and daddy. Oh, and the city never could have moved anyone anywhere if they had been responsible enough to get their own places.
Not crying you a river, just lived in the city the way it used to be. We have shelters because we don't want a repeat of thousands of people sleeping in the subways and the parks, like it was in the early 90's. So people do come from other states to take advantage of that. If there were shelters in their own states they wouldn't come here.

Yes programs were cut and people are in shelters and many are added every day.

No it's not the tax payers responsibility, but the tax payer will pay no matter what. You will pay for foster care for their children, you will pay for them to go to mental hospitals, and jails, and you may pay with your life when none of these options are available.

These people are applying for the only affordable housing available to them. There are others, but they probably don't qualify. If an apt is available near family why move one person all the way out somewhere else. We end up having to pay for their children that they can no longer manage because of they are not near their family support systems, so as a tax payer if I have a choice I'd rather pay for them to live where their child can at least finish school and have a possible future. There are certain basic physical, psychological and social needs that human beings need and if those needs are met certain bad chains of events don't have to happen. We all pay for that one way or another.

Working people with children don't just pack up and move for a job unless they know that they can provide a safe environment for a child. However they manage to do that. So why would a person that has to apply for a PJ apt voluntarily put their child at risk.

The people that can make a real middle class living without a government job that are not White have for the most part already left this city. The others that are still here are, either making a really good living, or did in the past and rest on their laurels in an apt or home that is already paid for. Or they are too poor to leave. There are poor people living everywhere because they are the majority in the world.

Living in Manhattan is only a big deal in recent years to some, not all newcomers, that think that it is a big deal. These people move in the worst areas of Manhattan thinking that the people already there will be gone in 3 months after they arrive. Or that the PJ's are going to disappear in the same 3 months, along with every social ill that is known to humankind. Keep dreaming.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Not crying you a river, just lived in the city the way it used to be. We have shelters because we don't want a repeat of thousands of people sleeping in the subways and the parks, like it was in the early 90's. So people do come from other states to take advantage of that. If there were shelters in their own states they wouldn't come here.

Yes programs were cut and people are in shelters and many are added every day.

No it's not the tax payers responsibility, but the tax payer will pay no matter what. You will pay for foster care for their children, you will pay for them to go to mental hospitals, and jails, and you may pay with your life when none of these options are available.

These people are applying for the only affordable housing available to them. There are others, but they probably don't qualify. If an apt is available near family why move one person all the way out somewhere else. We end up having to pay for their children that they can no longer manage because of they are not near their family support systems, so as a tax payer if I have a choice I'd rather pay for them to live where their child can at least finish school and have a possible future. There are certain basic physical, psychological and social needs that human beings need and if those needs are met certain bad chains of events don't have to happen. We all pay for that one way or another.

Working people with children don't just pack up and move for a job unless they know that they can provide a safe environment for a child. However they manage to do that. So why would a person that has to apply for a PJ apt voluntarily put their child at risk.

The people that can make a real middle class living without a government job that are not White have for the most part already left this city. The others that are still here are, either making a really good living, or did in the past and rest on their laurels in an apt or home that is already paid for. Or they are too poor to leave. There are poor people living everywhere because they are the majority in the world.

Living in Manhattan is only a big deal in recent years to some, not all newcomers, that think that it is a big deal. These people move in the worst areas of Manhattan thinking that the people already there will be gone in 3 months after they arrive. Or that the PJ's are going to disappear in the same 3 months, along with every social ill that is known to humankind. Keep dreaming.
How did these poor people arrive in NYC? Oh, by bus or whatever means of transportation they had. They came with nothing, and they can leave with nothing if they chose to.

No one things that ever social ill is going to disappear from NYC or from anyplace. The nation as awhole just isn't interested in subsidizing the projects, which is why federal taxpayer money to NYCHA has been cut, and why Prospect Plaza projects of Crown Heights are being bulldozed. All the sob stories you cane come up with well not move Congressional Republicans or President Obama. Its a DONE DEAL.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 PM
DAS

Most are born here. Uneducated here. But no matter they are here. Some residents are also city and government and other workers and they just want to live in peace in an affordable place.

Glad that my truths are making you cry.

Of course the nation as a whole doesn't want to support the pj's. Why would they? Their poor and homeless just get on the bus and come to NYC.

The question is: If you don't live in a PJ, why is it bothering you so much? Only a small bit of tax money goes to welfare programs, most tax money goes to many other areas. As soon as they start making more shelters to replace these PJ's you claim they are bulldozing in the future, people will complain when the shelters go up in their neighborhoods. The projects will be replaced with something. All the social ills that come with that will follow that.

You are not going to get this perfected city that you envision with a perfect wealthy Manhattan and surrounding core.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Most are born here. Uneducated here. But no matter they are here. Some residents are also city and government and other workers and they just want to live in peace in an affordable place.

Glad that my truths are making you cry.

Of course the nation as a whole doesn't want to support the pj's. Why would they? Their poor and homeless just get on the bus and come to NYC.

The question is: If you don't live in a PJ, why is it bothering you so much? Only a small bit of tax money goes to welfare programs, most tax money goes to many other areas. As soon as they start making more shelters to replace these PJ's you claim they are bulldozing in the future, people will complain when the shelters go up in their neighborhoods. The projects will be replaced with something. All the social ills that come with that will follow that.

You are not going to get this perfected city that you envision with perfect wealthy Manhattan and surrounding core.
Its not a claim that the projects in Crown Heights are being bulldozed, I posted the link here from the Daily News and from www.nyc.gov . They hired the firm to do the demolition, and the other firm to do the new development (affordable housing, with some low income housing there).

As for why I am happy to see all this being cut?

Hmmm, yes, there are reasons.

One reason is I had a friend who had a $500 two bedrooms rent stablized apartment in Manhattan. What did he do with it? Rent out both bedrooms for a thousand each. So his profit was $1500 a month. He worked, but his income on the books was low enough to qualify for medicaid. The cash money deposited in another account not under his name.

Another friend of mine took advantage of the HIV welfare program. He was on HASA. He had sex parties at his apartment where he charged people $20 to get in. Oh, he had betweeen 20-70 people there a night, 4 nights a week. He flew to Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, and South America with this money, as well as all over the US. The cash money he made he deposited in an account, not under his name, of course. Mind you, his neighbors hated him and complained to the landlords and he got busted. His parties are over and he had to get a job.

Oh, I've known several other gay men in subsidized housing who through these kinds of sex parties. They specifically moved to NYC to get on the Aids welfare program (free rent, free medical care, free food).

Oh, and its not just gay men on this scam, either. In the housing projects themselves, plenty of people rent out rooms in exchange for CASH money. I've had hipster friends who paid decent amounts of cash to rent out rooms in affordable housing in Stuytown and in NYCHA itself (particularly in Chelsea or in the LES). Even a friend to do this in Spanish Harlem.

Its a hustlers game out there, basically. Lie, and claim to be a victim in order to get sympathy from SAPS, and then work the system (while working off the books or in some cases on the books) and take all you want.

I see no reason for all of the subsidies NYC gave out in the past, and yes, I'm glad they are being cut.

But basically, none of these people were really all that poor when all comes down to it, they were profitting off of their affordable housing (not supposed to happen) big time. And when it gets to that level, you might was well get rid of the subsidizing housing and rent directly to the people who are paying for it.

But back to you, its weird, once you tell someone you went to an Ivy League school, they fantasize you must not know ANYONE from the streets. A ridiculous assumption. I've seen and I truthfully grew up around scamsters and welfare cheats and I have seen every trick in the book. And there's no reason why taxpayers should pay for this. The government and public are on to these scams, which is why they are being cut.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Its not a claim that the projects in Crown Heights are being bulldozed, I posted the link here from the Daily News and from www.nyc.gov . They hired the firm to do the demolition, and the other firm to do the new development (affordable housing, with some low income housing there).

As for why I am happy to see all this being cut?

Hmmm, yes, there are reasons.

I see no reason for all of the subsidies NYC gave out in the past, and yes, I'm glad they are being cut.

But basically, none of these people were really all that poor when all comes down to it, they were profitting off of their affordable housing (not supposed to happen) big time. And when it gets to that level, you might was well get rid of the subsidizing housing and rent directly to the people who are paying for it.

But back to you, its weird, once you tell someone you went to an Ivy League school, they fantasize you must not know ANYONE from the streets. A ridiculous assumption. I've seen and I truthfully grew up around scamsters and welfare cheats and I have seen every trick in the book. And there's no reason why taxpayers should pay for this. The government and public are on to these scams, which is why they are being cut.
Got you. I am also tired of non-American citizens working in successful family owned businesses claiming that they are only making $50 dollars a week and getting rent subsidies from Social Services while they support a lavish lifestyle for themselves when they go back to their home countries for a few months at a time to live in their dream homes. Knowing that there are honest people that have applied for temporary assistance to help with rent for a month a 2 until they found another job but were denied. This I found out from a couple of friends that work for HRA.

I agree that too much is given away to those that don't need it, and NYC cannot continue to be the go to it place for other state's residents that will not provide for their citizens.

For the record I was not posting about the PJ's you know are actually being bulldozed, but that you are using this to claim others will be bull dozed. They may, but we don't know that yet. You really don't want a repeat of the early 90's. Trust me on that one. It is almost too expensive to live anywhere in this city, but it is safe to the point where people are living all over Manhattan and most of the other boros now. If things reversed you would have a smaller radius to live with in and rents would be really of the chain.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
^ There still are plenty of inexpensive neighborhoods in NYC. People just want to live in certain areas or boros and then say they can't afford it. I couldn't afford midtown anymore but I can't say oh now I need to live off the government because I can't afford my rent. I had to do some searching, seek out an area I could afford and move there.
Also as stated above about people wanting to live near family. Its not the 1950 where you parents live next door, your brother across the street. A lot of people live 100 or 1000 miles from family. To say I need to live off the government to be near my family is not a legit reason. My blood family may not live here but my family in my heart does and we live all over the 5 boros. Its called getting on a train or bus when you want to see them. Not that difficult.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM
DAS

If you were able to afford midtown midtown you are starting out with an advantage most people in the projects don't have. Many people prefer or need to live near family while raising children. Many people also live near aging relatives. To natives NYC neighborhoods are like small towns that some want to stay in and some want to leave. It is not about what is trendy.

My point was for the sake of the well being of the child/teen for living in one project over another. For the past 40 years projects and the neighborhoods they are in were not safe the upper west side and Chelsea were not safe 40 years ago. Over the past 20 years they have drastically improved, but the projects located there and other now safe and trendy areas remain through the highs and lows.
'

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
If you were able to afford midtown midtown you are starting out with an advantage most people in the projects don't have. Many people prefer or need to live near family while raising children. Many people also live near aging relatives. To natives NYC neighborhoods are like small towns that some want to stay in and some want to leave. It is not about what is trendy.

My point was for the sake of the well being of the child/teen for living in one project over another. For the past 40 years projects and the neighborhoods they are in were not safe the upper west side and Chelsea were not safe 40 years ago. Over the past 20 years they have drastically improved, but the projects located there and other now safe and trendy areas remain through the highs and lows.
'
Not really I just spend most of my income on rent. And maybe one should reconsider having children if they can't afford rent on their own. I was married but mine was the only income and a couple can't raise a child on $25,000 a year. So having children was out of the question. Its called being responsible for your actions. Just like you don't charge things on a credit card you can't afford. If you can't pay it off when they bill come, you really shouldn't be buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City