Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times

Advertisements

BeMO or Van Cortland Village.....the other places mentioned are too far to drive to NJ. Riverdale is alright but very family oriented in certain places and too damn noisy by the Metro North. Also to get access to GW Bridge from Riverdale, you'll have to pay toll on the Henry Hudson unless you go local. Parking sucks mostly everywhere.

Last edited by Mistertee; 05-13-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
BeMO or Van Cortland Village.....the other places mentioned are too far to drive to NJ. Riverdale is alright but very family oriented in certain places and too damn noisy by the Metro North. Also to get access to GW Bridge from Riverdale, you'll have to pay toll on the Henry Hudson unless you go local. Parking sucks mostly everywhere.
I was always under the impression that MetroNorth ran along the Hudson away from any homes. What part of Riverdale are you referring to that is so noisy because of MetroNorth? In response to your other comment, there are plenty of young singles living here. The only areas that are more family oriented are North Riverdale and Fieldston but Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale have a mix of young families, college students, young singles and the elderly and they all co-exist together quite well.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 05-13-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I would add Parkchester to the mix, as it is generally quiet, green, has lots of amenities at your fingertips as well as the 6 train (which runs express during rush hour).

Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
The nice areas of the Bronx, where you can get a one bedroom for $1200, tend to be far from the Manhattan. If I were you, I'd consider using that $1200 for a large studio somewhere in Queens, like Astoria, Sunnyside, Forrest Hills, where you're just a short train ride from Manhattan.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM

275 posts, read 793,299 times
Just out of curiosity, what is the better way to secure one of these apartments, particularly in Riverdale? A broker? Or is there a more preferred way?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I was always under the impression that MetroNorth ran along the Hudson away from any homes. What part of Riverdale are you referring to that is so noisy because of MetroNorth. In response to your other comment, there are plenty of young singles living here. The only areas that are more family oriented are North Riverdale and Fieldston but Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale have a mix of young families, college students, young singles and the elderly and they all co-exist together quite well.

I made a mistake, I was referring to the Marble Hill area. The noise from the Metro and #1 is doable but the crowd that hangs out there late night is not. I'm not sure the college students and young singles co-exist quite well with the elderly and families.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The nice areas of the Bronx, where you can get a one bedroom for $1200, tend to be far from the Manhattan. If I were you, I'd consider using that $1200 for a large studio somewhere in Queens, like Astoria, Sunnyside, Forrest Hills, where you're just a short train ride from Manhattan.
It really depends on where you're going. I lived in Astoria, and it didn't seem particularly convenient for many places. In Bedford Park (where I live now), for instance, the D and 4 will take you to both the west and east side of Manhattan and run express at rush hour (so it's like 25 min to Columbus Circle on the D at rush hour). There's also a Metro North stop. $1,200 is more than enough for a 1 bedroom (may be able to get a 2 bedroom).

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
There are no "large studios" in Astoria..unless it is in an old ladies unrenovated basement with tiny windows. Sunnyside and Forest Hills are just as convenient (or inconvenient, depending on your view) as many places in the Bronx, like Bedford Park.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the better way to secure one of these apartments, particularly in Riverdale? A broker? Or is there a more preferred way?
The rental market in Riverdale is not large particularly in general but especially in the prime areas of Riverdale because they are either homes, co-ops or condos, with several luxury condos being built in the recent years. It would be wise therefore to use a broker unless you already know someone in the area that has connections. The high ownership to renter ratio here is one reason why the area has stayed so nice over the years. I think I said this earlier, but there are co-ops for rent, but those can be a long process, though I've never heard of any co-ops with very particular co-op boards, but it does force candidates to be examined more closely to ensure that they qualify and can afford the apartment. For $1,200 the OP can perhaps even rent an apartment in a building with a door man and other amenities generally found in luxury Manhattan apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I made a mistake, I was referring to the Marble Hill area. The noise from the Metro and #1 is doable but the crowd that hangs out there late night is not. I'm not sure the college students and young singles co-exist quite well with the elderly and families.
What crowd are you referring to? It seems as if you are referring to Marble Hill. That's an entirely different neighborhood. Broadway is much busier with the subway and the numerous bars, restaurants and other commercial businesses about. There are a few bars open late at night here but not many and that includes the main drags of Johnson and Riverdale Avenues which are certainly not known for any sort of rowdy activity.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 05-13-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
It really depends on where you're going. I lived in Astoria, and it didn't seem particularly convenient for many places. In Bedford Park (where I live now), for instance, the D and 4 will take you to both the west and east side of Manhattan and run express at rush hour (so it's like 25 min to Columbus Circle on the D at rush hour). There's also a Metro North stop. $1,200 is more than enough for a 1 bedroom (may be able to get a 2 bedroom).
Funny, I work by the Time Warner Center, it takes me 25 minutes on a bad day, from Astoria. But I do agree, it really depends on where you're going. However, aside from Upper Manhattan, especially the west side, I don't see how it would be a faster commute from the Bronx, than from any of the Queens Neighborhoods I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
There are no "large studios" in Astoria..unless it is in an old ladies unrenovated basement with tiny windows. Sunnyside and Forest Hills are just as convenient (or inconvenient, depending on your view) as many places in the Bronx, like Bedford Park.
Then you really haven't explored much of Astoria's rental market. In the Co-Ops buildings on my block that allow renting, for $1100 you can get a 1st floor 400 sq foot studio, with large windows that look out on to the private gardens. The housing stock in Astoria varies greatly. If your destination is midtown or downtown, you're going to have a shorter commute from the Queens neighborhoods I mentioned, than from Bedford Park. However, like a previous poster mentioned, it really depends on where you're going. I just suggested the OP take a look into Queens, I didn't tell him to choose it over the Bronx. It's up to him to decide whats more convenient for him.

Last edited by Astorian31; 05-13-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City