U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM

110 posts, read 307,755 times

Advertisements

hey all,

I am a single mid-20's male that is looking for a place to live in the Bronx. Since i'm by myself, a 1 bedroom would be sufficient. My budget is $1200 a month. I'm not very familiar with the Bronx, so I was hoping some natives could give me good recommendations.

I am looking for somewhere that is relatively quiet, away from the crazy hustle-and-bustle of the city. However, I would like it to be a relatively young community as well, though I realize this is probably difficult since young people want to be around all the excitement. Also, somewhere within a 10 minute walk of the nearest bus/subway stop would be great, though I am willing to bring my car as well if needed. Is a car possible in the Bronx, or is the traffic horrendous like Manhattan?

thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by hellothisismyname; 05-12-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM

8,895 posts, read 21,659,135 times
Riverdale,Van Cortlandt Village,Bedford Park,Pelham Parkway,Morris Park or Pelham Bay.

Bedford Park has some young people because it is near Fordham and Lehman,Pelham Parkway has a lot of Fordham related people and Morris Park has some young people because of Albert Einstein College.

Having a car is definitely do able in all these areas but parking could be a problem ,depending on exactly where.The traffic is nothing like in Manhattan but a car can still be a pain IMO.On the other hand there are plenty of 2 and 3 car couples and families in my building so I guess people cope.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM

579 posts, read 842,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
hey all,

I am a single mid-20's male that is looking for a place to live in the Bronx. Since i'm by myself, a 1 bedroom would be sufficient. My budget is $1200 a month. I'm not very familiar with the Bronx, so I was hoping some natives could give me good recommendations.

I am looking for somewhere that is relatively quiet, away from the crazy hustle-and-bustle of the city. However, I would like it to be a relatively young community as well, though I realize this is probably difficult since young people want to be around all the excitement. Also, somewhere within a 10 minute walk of the nearest bus/subway stop would be great, though I am willing to bring my car as well if needed. Is a car possible in the Bronx, or is the traffic horrendous like Manhattan?

I think the area around Bedford-Mosholu is really nice because there will be studio and 1 BR rentals in that price range and the area has some great art deco buildings. Depending on where you look, you can take the Metro North downtown and be in GCT in around 20 minutes. You also have the option of the D and 4 trains which get you to Midtown in less than 30 minutes. As bluedog said above, there is a young bar scene in the neighborhood becasue of Fordham University and Lehman College. A car is doable but street parking is governed by alternate side of the street rules and can be a pain in the ass. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,077,682 times
Quote:
hey all,

I think Riverdale would be a perfect fit for you. There is very little crime here as it is very safe at all times of the day and night. I would recommend the area around Johnson Avenue and 235th street (the Downtown of Riverdale if you will). It is very walkable, but you could also bring your car if you wanted. Parking is not too bad and some buildings have private parking on site. You can find a one bedroom easily within your budget $1,100 - $1,200. You may even be able to rent a co-op with that budget. A friend of mine is who moved here from Manhattan is currently renting a co-op in Spuyten Duyvil off of Kappock Street for $1,100 which allows them to walk to the MetroNorth station for a quick commute to Manhattan.

There are several buses within a short walking distance that run along the Henry Hudson Parkway that can take you to the subway or there are express buses to East and West Midtown and also one that goes to Downtown.

I live around the Fieldston area of Riverdale which is a bit more family oriented and quieter, but I am fairly close to the area that I recommend you look at. You will see young families, elderly people but also young people as well (as in young singles). There are some universities here that provide a steady flow of younger people along with those already living in the area. It is urban in that is walkable but still provides a suburban feel as it is quiet and isolated due to the hills. This would also give you access to the main shopping areas and restaurants should you not want to go to Manhattan or Westchester. You can also consider Spuyten Duyvil area of Riverdale which is also nice but there isn't as much shopping or restaurants. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 67,607 times
I've lived in Bedford Park for two years and I recommend it. It's within 10 minutes walk of the D, the 4, and the Metro North. You can find a nice 1 bedroom here for ~$1200 or less. It's mostly residential, so while there are young people around, there aren't a ton of options for places to go in the neighborhood. The only Fordham bar I know of is The Jolly Tinker. Most of the Fordham hang outs are in the Belmont Little Italy area south of Fordham. There's also the Beso Lounge and another Irish Bar on 204th, but I haven't been to these so I'm not sure what they're like.

I don't have a car here but I know people who do, so it's definitely do-able. Some houses will rent out parking spaces in the back which is a lot easier than trying to find a spot on the street. That said, I've never felt like I needed a car. I use a service called ZipCar which has affordable cars in the neighborhood I can rent by the hour when I need to go to Target or CostCo every couple of months.

Last edited by MonkeyBusiness; 05-12-2013 at 11:21 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM

110 posts, read 307,755 times
thanks for all of the recommendations, i'll definitely check out some of those neighborhoods.

The reason i ask about a car is that i'll probably be going to Jersey a few times a month for personal reasons. Is alternate side parking a once-a-week thing?

I just have a few questions about the apartment situation, when you say one-bedroom you mean a separate room for the bedroom and living room correct? because i've seen some places advertised as one bedroom, but are really just studios. Also, would the apartments in that price range be larger then ones in Manhattan? i've been to friends' apartments in Manhattan and they are so small.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,077,682 times
Quote:
thanks for all of the recommendations, i'll definitely check out some of those neighborhoods.

The reason i ask about a car is that i'll probably be going to Jersey a few times a month for personal reasons. Is alternate side parking a once-a-week thing?

I just have a few questions about the apartment situation, when you say one-bedroom you mean a separate room for the bedroom and living room correct? because i've seen some places advertised as one bedroom, but are really just studios. Also, would the apartments in that price range be larger then ones in Manhattan? i've been to friends' apartments in Manhattan and they are so small.
Yes a true one bedroom... You'll get far more space in Riverdale because while some think of it as Manhattan, it is not and its isolation and "lack of amenities" also helps to keep prices down. You have the basics here but it is not Manhattan and that is what some people don't like and it is also seen as a rather remote place as in too suburban. For people who want a more quiet setting, Riverdale is perfect. We have a few new restaurants that have opened on Johnson and Riverdale Avenues and while the area doesn't have 5 star restaurants like you would find in Manhattan, the selection can be sufficient and quite diverse depending on your needs.

There has been an attempt to make the neighborhood trendy but that has not caught on because it is just not that kind of place. People move here for a more laid back style of living and also more space and green. For great restaurants, night life or shopping there is Manhattan, Westchester or New Jersey a short ride away.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM

8,895 posts, read 21,659,135 times
Yes,an apartment that is listed as a 1 bedroom usually has a separate room with at least 1 closet and a window.Apartments in the Bx do tend to be larger than in Manhattan with most 1 br's being at least 650 0r 700 sq ft and some much larger.Often,in Manhattan,2 br apartments are only 700 sq ft. My 1 br apartment has just under 1,000 sq ft which could be a 3 br apartment in Manhattan.If you are really concerned about sq footage look only in pre war ( 1940 and earlier) buildings.That's where you are going to find the biggest apartments.

The alternate side parking frequency can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.Some neighborhoods have no regulations,some have it once a week and some have it twice a week.You will have to look at the signs around whatever neighborhoods you are looking in to tell.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,942,435 times
Throggs Neck may also be an option for you. It's car friendly, no alternate side of the street in much (if not all) of it. Walkable to local bus or drive and park near train stations. There are younger people in the area, some nightlife- plenty of bars. Some decent restaurants.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM

770 posts, read 1,005,923 times
You have gotten a lot of good advice by the above posters, so just wanna add, 'good luck and hope you enjoy the Bronx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City