Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Obesity is not always self inflicted, in some cases the reason is hormonal imbalance or certain medications.
Some people will either never understand or believe that. In my case it was my thyroid. I won't get into the frustration of dealing with the healthcare field over this but suffice it to say they don't do enough.

Another reason you see obesity especially in children at early ages could also be due to hormone injected chickens. Just research to find out.

So people don't color others with a broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
This is good and fun workout to start the morning with.

LaToya Jackson Step Up Workout - YouTube

Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
YES! I noticed that back in college. If I ate a meal at McDonald's I would always feel really full at first then be hungry an hour later. Contrast that with eating a something like a kale salad packed with protein and other healthy add-ins (carrots, nuts, etc) and a light dressing- you're full until dinner. But those fancy chopped salads don't come cheap...
Love me some kale. But a kale salad alone won't suffice until dinner for this guy *flexes*...

Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Raw meat and steroids, no gayish salads.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I disagree with alll those who claim it is food QUALITY that is responsible for obesity. It is not. Caloric QUANTITY takes all the responsibility for obesity on the input side, and inactivity all the responsiblility for the output side.

Poor are obese?
Look at Governor Christie, newly stomach stapled, of New Jersey, Kirstie Alley, Aretha, Queen Latifah, Kathleen Turner, Rosie O'Donnell, Sally Struthers, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Elvis Presley, Roseanne Barr, Henry VIII...and on and on as far back as you care to go. All of them rich, and obese.

On the output side I think most people don't have real WORK anymore. Those unemployed sit home, watch TV and drink beer. Those with jobs sit at desks, go home, watch TV and drink beer.
Even farmers do little more than sit in huge machines and fiddle dials.

Thermmodynamics:
INPUT = OUTPUT + ACCUMULATION (aka FAT)

Raise input, lower output and accumulation soars.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-14-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I disagree with alll those who claim it is food QUALITY that is responsible for obesity. It is not. Caloric QUANTITY takes all the responsibility for obesity on the input side, and inactivity all the responsiblility for the output side.

Poor are obese?
Look at Governor Christie, newly stomach stapled, of New Jersey, Kirstie Alley, Aretha, Queen Latifah, Kathleen Turner, Rosie O'Donnell, Sally Struthers, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Elvis Presley, Roseanne Barr, Henry VIII...and on and on as far back as you care to go. All of them rich, and obese.

On the output side I think most people don't have real WORK anymore. Those unemployed sit home, watch TV and drink beer. Those with jobs sit at desks, go home, watch TV and drink beer.

Thermmodynamics:

This is the thing though, I read a PDF file from posted by the Federal Government itself that stated that most supermarkets especially in poor neighborhoods do have access to fresh nutritious food which is not expensive. One thing I can blame for obesity is hormones in milk and in chickens which can make people develop to big.

Read this article about a 42k a year private school in Chealsea, an uber liberal elitist school where parents are concerened about the students diet. Students must only eat organic foods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Poor are obese?

Thermmodynamics:

What are they eating, though? I find it hard to believe ANYONE is getting fat from eating lots of Spinach, as you don't have a lot of calories in spinach. Ditto for something like brown rice.

Now if they're eating lots of fried foods, pies, and other foods with high levels of fat and sugar, yes, you'll likely end up with a weight problem. Some of the fat people, whether rich or poor, eat comfort foods (high in fat and/or sugar ) because it makes them feel better. Like a drug they get addicted. This can be linked to depression as a certain amount of people eat comfort food because they are depressed.

Btw, you find some pretty active guys who work in construction who are fat as pigs, so having an active job has NOTHING to do with it.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Some people will either never understand or believe that. In my case it was my thyroid. I won't get into the frustration of dealing with the healthcare field over this but suffice it to say they don't do enough.

Another reason you see obesity especially in children at early ages could also be due to hormone injected chickens. Just research to find out.

So people don't color others with a broad brush.
Some people feed their children every time the kid cries in order to calm the kid down. You may eventually end up with a weight problem right there, as well. There's no evidence eating chicken and of itself causes weight problems (But lots of fried chicken might not be too good, particularly if its with a lot of other fried and sugary food).

Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
There really is no great mystery why people get fat. Yes, in some case you may have medical issues that contribute but the majority of the times the equation is simple: too many calories and not enough activity = you'll get fat. That's it! You can go into all types of debates about eating better (healthy) foods but the fact of the matter is if you eat too much of anything, healthy or not, you'll gain weight if you don't burn off extra calories consumed. I think with lower income people they are eating lower quality foods that aren't nutritionally balanced so they'll tend to eat more of it to feel full. So in the case of McDonald's, it's very high in calories but questionable nutritional content means that you can eat a whole meal there that technically has your entire required calorie intake for the day but then two hours later want to eat again because the meal was not balanced and your body needs more to meet it's nutritional needs. I think the same would apply to inexpensive foods that are in the supermarket.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Eating habits are really just that, HABITS. Just like someone thinks he must smoke becasue he has smoked or someone who thinks if he doesn't drink he will have an awful time. So it is with food.
We often have some misbegotten notion that if you miss a meal you will die. Silly concepts that if you don't have a meat, a starch and a vegetable on your plate, that meal may be your last, that if you leave food on a plate you have somehow sinned.

I have a secret theory that what happens in youth forms a lot of your eating habits for life. Too much food or TOO LITTLE FOOD and you tend towards a lifelong problem. THe kid with too much gets a screwy idea of what a normal portion is, but almost counterintuitively, the kid who never had enough food grows into an adult who will overeat at meal one becasue he learned in his formative yoears that there may not be a meal 2 or meal 3 that day. When a bit of prosperity dawns and every day has 3 meals...he overeats 3 times a day.
Food stamps have made the possibility of too few calories unlikely, but not all of us were born after 1965.

Habits die hard. Yes, they can be broken but first they must be recognized and battled, day by day, until NEW habits slowly emerge to take their place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: