Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
No offense, but they didnt lose anything. They LEFT their communities for fear of the encroaching minorities. Everytime the blacks, chinese, indians, latinos, (jews were ok, but not the hasids) got too close to the "border" they moved further out. and further out.
The italians on Staten island jumped over to jersey, i wonder where the ones on Long island are going to go.
This crap is exactly why we left New York. Hard to be an Italian-American and associate with people that aren't your "kind". The outer boroughs (and Long Island) are boiling with racial tension and are extremely segregated, and the neighborhoods seem self insular like no other place in this country. From the outside and to those not familiar with it, NYC looks like a real melting pot, from the inside, it's more like an overheating pot with so much tension. You know, for a lack of better word, its bull s**t. Race is such an obsession in the outer boroughs and suburbs of NYC, especially if you are- Italian, Irish,Puerto Rican, Black or Jewish. Three generations later and some FINALLY assimilate into American culture, and this seems to happen when people leave the tri state area for places like FL and NC. I love New York (I have to), and there's no place like it, but that's part of the problem.

In the meanwhile, keep it up, Howard Beach!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-05-2007 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
To get back to the original topic, the Hate Crime statutes in NY are somewhat complex and are really identity-motivated rather than hate motivated. Is that the intention of the law?

There is a very good article in the current issue of New Yorker Magazine that addresses the issue. Page 5 & 6 deal with the law's definition and the problems with the investigation & prosecution.

Exploring the Case of Anthony Fortunato and the World of Hate Crimes -- New York Magazine

Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 AM

191 posts, read 900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Nantucket Island, and martha's vineyard.

And when then after Sicily would be the next logical stop
OMG OMG!! please dont tell me you mixed Italians with Sicilians!!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM

17 posts, read 45,936 times
Unhappy Ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
dude thats dumb. theres just as many black hoods that dont want whites in their neighborhood (except to rob them, maybe). its a 2 way street, and if u think not... ur clueless.

It's not that black people do not want white people in their neighborhoods it's they do not want ignorant people like you in their neighborhoods. I suspect white people do not want ignorant people like you in their neighborhoods as well!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 22,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
[URL="http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5737978"]7Online.com: Police investigate possible bias attack in Queens[/URL]

Yet another racially fueld beating in Howard Beach (whats with Howard Beach and racial attacks? I don't get it). This time though it was a group of 30-40 hispanic and black kids who beat two white kids.

Somehow I doubt it will get the press that a white on black crime does in this city. So to all those people whining about how evil white people are, I suggest you take a look in the mirror.

As a white guy living in the outer-boroughs I don't feel safe outside of my neighborhood. Given the opportunity I think this type of thing could happen to any white person, at any time and any place (except for Manhattan where there's a cop on every block and a hipster in every building).

Hey Mead!! I totally agree with you! I live in Ozone Park, about five minutes away from howard beach. where the hell was al sharpton when all of this happened? I feel like he's only for the black people!!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Of course he is..... why do you think he gets all the attention? Yesterday I saw a clip on Fox News where Sharpton lists all of the Black mayors in the major cities during the 80's. He then goes on to say there was more progress by black leaders in the last generation than today's and they did not do all that hard work "only to give it back to... (he hesitated for a a couple of seconds) those who are against us!" I just knew he was going to say "white people" when he hesitated.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM

128 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
7Online.com: Police investigate possible bias attack in Queens

Yet another racially fueld beating in Howard Beach (whats with Howard Beach and racial attacks? I don't get it). This time though it was a group of 30-40 hispanic and black kids who beat two white kids.
With the Gambino's in jail or on the lamb they are taking over the turf and want the italians out.
I drove a City Bus down there and watched the area turn to hell overnight as soon as John Gotti got life in Jail

Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Howard Beach is still a nice, Italian neighborhood. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about Woodhaven or Ozone Park.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM

128 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Nantucket Island, and martha's vineyard.

And when then after Sicily would be the next logical stop
Many are out on the N Fork in wine country from Jamesport East.
----- All cracker racists including the cops, dont be black or brown walking at night you likley to get shot or hauled away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City