U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM

15 posts, read 105,636 times

Advertisements

Hello, trying to decide where to live....I've been living in Flatbush (near Church Avenue) for last 12 years and I love the area but I need bigger space w/ a baby and found a reasonable-priced one in Harlem (across from Marcus Garvey Park). Now I'm a born-and-raised Brooklynite so going up to Harlem makes me a little nervous (it's that BK vs. Uptown thang).

I read these boards every now and then and a few of you seem to know what you're talking about so I'm curious to know your opinions?

And yes, I've scoped out the place....The Pathmark on 125th and Lexington seem to have a lot of "crackheads" (I hear there's a methadone clinic nearby) so I'll do my best to avoid the area. I also saw lots of white folks and families on Marcus Garvey Park and they seem all non-chalant so I'm not sure what to make of it all....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM

706 posts, read 922,365 times
what is your budget?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM

113 posts, read 201,303 times
East Harlem people are no stranger to seeing new comers pass through their hood because of the Costco Shopping center on 116th. The areas between 112th and 116th and around Park ave in the region of 116th has a good amount of crime. I walk through East Harlem every time I visit Costco and yes, you do see a High amount of Crack heads walking around ..

And that Brings me to my next point .. East Harlem is one of the highest Crime areas in Manhattan. But most of the crime is centered around the Drugs .. if you are not a Drug user or a Drug Dealer or in a gang you should be OK.

The area North of 116th, west of Park Ave and south of 125th street is actually nice and quiet. 1st ave is nice and Pleasant ave is even nicer ... I walk up 1st ave every time I go to Costco and all I ever see are tons of Kids .. There are many working Families along the eastern edge of East Harlem ..

All the Crack heads and thugs are near 3rd ave, Lexington and Park ave ..

Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 AM

15 posts, read 105,636 times
Thanks, BronxMan. Very helpful

Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM

8,014 posts, read 10,117,850 times
nowhere else is like brooklyn, man.
you might as well move to a nice,
quiet street in queens for all that.

harlem will be a whole lot more hectic.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM

573 posts, read 1,344,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
harlem will be a whole lot more hectic.
My opinion wouldn't be that definite.

I think Harlem is actually less wild than East Flatbush when it comes to violence because of the crime culture in both areas. East Flatbush is a West Indian area, them rude boys may pull their guns on their opponent in the middle of the day no matter if the cops are around the corner or not, West Indian thugs are more on some I-don't-a-f attitude. Also, Brooklyn hoods like Crown Heights, Brownsville/ENY and East Flatbush have a lot of little crews who got beef with each others over some petty sh*t and that can pop off randomly, especially during the summer when everybody is outside.

Harlem was traditionally home of the African American mob, back when Bumpy Johnson and them ran the area on some organized crime type stuff.
As a result of that, the organized crime culture is more deeply rooted in Harlem than it is in Brooklyn, where there hasn't been any truly powerful crime organization since the Jews, Italians and Irish left Brownsville, ENY, Flatbush etc...
I think Harlem still has some of that organized crime culture in its DNA, and that's why in my opinion thugs in Harlem tend to be more disciplined, and low-key. Harlem dudes have understood long time ago that shootings and stabbings bring COPS. And of course police presence is bad for business.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM

8,014 posts, read 10,117,850 times
^ you make a very good point but i was mainly
talking about numbers alone. there will be way
more people to deal with per square mile in that
part of harlem.

the guy might be looking to tone things
down a bit. that's the point i was making.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM

573 posts, read 1,344,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ you make a very good point but i was mainly
talking about numbers alone. there will be way
more people to deal with per square mile in that
part of harlem.

the guy might be looking to tone things
down a bit. that's the point i was making.
Alright.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 AM

2,224 posts, read 4,887,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askangiwa View Post
Hello, trying to decide where to live....I've been living in Flatbush (near Church Avenue) for last 12 years and I love the area but I need bigger space w/ a baby and found a reasonable-priced one in Harlem (across from Marcus Garvey Park). Now I'm a born-and-raised Brooklynite so going up to Harlem makes me a little nervous (it's that BK vs. Uptown thang).

I read these boards every now and then and a few of you seem to know what you're talking about so I'm curious to know your opinions?

And yes, I've scoped out the place....The Pathmark on 125th and Lexington seem to have a lot of "crackheads" (I hear there's a methadone clinic nearby) so I'll do my best to avoid the area. I also saw lots of white folks and families on Marcus Garvey Park and they seem all non-chalant so I'm not sure what to make of it all....
The two neighborhoods are like night and day. What amenities are you looking for and is transportation to/from work an issue? There are plenty of neighborhood choices other than East Harlem. Why focus there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City