Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 PM

44 posts, read 350,292 times

Advertisements

My BFF and I are headed to NYC July 4th-7th. We both have been * me twice and she lived there for a few months or so then decided she wanted to come home * so we have done the touristy things (ie: Grand Central, Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, 9-11 Memorial)
I'm looking to experience things that a tourist wouldn't normally find. Where are the best places to eat? What are the best things to do during the day/night? What are the best rooftop patios?
Also we are both into breweries so are there any local beers we should absolutely try? I've heard of a few in Brooklyn. We're staying in the Financial District but we're up for ANYTHING!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
This really isn't a "thing that a tourist wouldn't normally find". But if you rented a bike one day you could take a ride around and tour more of the city that way.

I did this a couple years ago and if the weather is nice it's a great time to just soak in so much of the city you normally wouldn't able to. If you go down a block and it's boring/nothing there you can get past it within seconds. While you may come across something that interests you and you would have never noticed it.

Plus if you start down near Batter Park you can take the West Side bike path all the way up past the GW Bridge. It's provides some great views as well. You could even venture over to Brooklyn Bridge and ride over it and check out some of downtown Brooklyn.

Not for everybody but I can't wait to do it again.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
I often sit and read a novel in washington square park. I bought this litttle plastic lunchbox online which is handy.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
Since you and your friend are in New York City for 4th of July weekend. There are plenty of events to check. I suggest these non-traditional things for Independence weekend: a Battery Park picnic, a tour in Brooklyn Brewery, a Brooklyn Cyclone baseball game, or a Pastrami sandwich at Katz Deli.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM

273 posts, read 672,818 times
Lower East Side

Yona Shimmel - for knishes and coffee served from a dumbwaiter for old world Jewish bagels and things like kasha knishes and sweet potato. It is like going into a time machine to see Lower East Side before WW2. Houston Street near 2nd ave - also close to the famous Katz Deli for fantastic pastrami mentioned in an earlier post. Plus, at night there are a few clubs to go to. Not too familiar with them but I believe around Delancey.

High Line/Christopher Street Piers
Although I am not a big fan of it many are and I will say it is one of the finest rethinking of an old elevated freight train where a two decades ago you'd more likely get mugged or go for a trick with a transvestite. Had a great underground scene but you had to watch yourself. Today it is an elevated path with views of Manhattan the Hudson River, restaurants nearby, gardens and seating areas. Below you may see a fashion shot occurring on cobblestones and tones of places to shop or further south relax on the Christopher Street piers.

Met Martini Bar Rooftop Restaurant (ok somewhat touristy but great place if you get there early)
Rooftop Patio Bars - tough one as there are many in Manhattan and some might be mobbed for the fireworks. Check Time Out Magazine online as they might have some places that don't get xtremely crowded. Try the Metropolitan Museum Rooftop Cafe and Martini Bar early - great rooftop bar and restaurant.

For breweries and places serving great beers?

Beer Gardens
Well, in Queens, Bohemian Beer Hall in Astoria is a favorite for Czech/Belgium Beers. For a contemporary version is Studio Square. Both are new other attractions - for Bohemian Hall, Astoria Park and the Greek tavernas nearby, for Studio Square, Museum of Moving Image (great if you are into film and filmaking) and some good Brasilian restaurants.

Great Beer Places
In Brooklyn, - I have heard Peter Stuyvestant in Williamsburg is excellent. I second checking out the Brooklyn Brewery.
In Manhattan, Proletariat in the East Village has some pretty unusual beers and gets raves.

5Pointz in Long Island City for outdoor aerosol art --- not far is a lovely park, Gantry State Park with a great view of midtown Manhattan. Plus there are some places serving a good variety of beers.

Prospect Park - there is always events going on and around it has the Brooklyn Museum (great collections on par with the Met) and the lovely Botanical Gardens. It is in Park Slope/Prospect Heights Brooklyn which has places to eat on 7th ave. If you want something quieter Brooklyn Heights is nice with the views from Brooklyn Promenade stunning and additional riverfront walks if you walk down Joralemon to the East River.

There is much much more. If you want to be on the water, try a Circle Line tour (yes an oldie but goodie tour of all of Manhattan Island for 3 hours), or water taxi around the city. On a summer day it is relaxing and much cooler than sweating thru the streets of Times Square. I you have any other preferences better advice could be had from other posters.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
take a subway ride to coney island

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Take a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tram for a great view of Manhattan's eastern skyline.

Go to the Astoria in Queens and visit the Museum of the Moving Image.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Once you are on the Brooklyn side, make your way over to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for a great view of Lower Manhattan. Take stroll along Montague Street (at the end of the promenade) and have a meal at one of the restaurants with their outdoor seating (assuming the weather is suitable).

Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Check out the High Line, which is amazing. And then go for a drink at The Frying Pan nearby. It's a restored ship docked to the Hudson and there's a bar on there. Really great views and atmosphere, you wouldn't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City