Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Reminds me of that story where 4 friends who were in a band moved to an area similar to bedstuy and end up getting robbed a few weeks later. Can't find the story though.
Here's the article...
A Chilling Robbery in Bed Stuy

Have fun naïve transplant... Do what you gotta do to be cool bro... Ignore all sound advice and listen to the one or two comments that tell you its okay to be ignorant when you're young... Clearly, those people have your best interest in mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM

113 posts, read 228,138 times
13-Yr-Old Bed Stuy Sex Assault Suspect Allegedly Threatened To Shoot Victim: Gothamist

This is another Article about a home Invasion that happened a year ago ... 4 teens Robbed a couple, tied them both up and forced the girl to perform oral sex ...

It happened off Madison Ave.

To put it Bluntly ..
Bed Stuy Pros - Nice houses and an affordable area for people looking to purchase a Brownstone
It has tons of history
It has a higher amount of Parks in the area compared to the rest of Brooklyn

Bed Stuy Cons - Crime is a huge problem
It's not diverse at all, Almost all of the people are Black ..
If you live in the central part of the Neighborhood, you will not be near any Train or major Transportation.

There are many nice places in Brooklyn to move .. Bed Stuy isn't one of them .. Check out Bensonhurst .. Much more diversity and a lot less crime ..

Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,938 times
stay away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Here's the article...
A Chilling Robbery in Bed Stuy

Have fun naïve transplant... Do what you gotta do to be cool bro... Ignore all sound advice and listen to the one or two comments that tell you its okay to be ignorant when you're young... Clearly, those people have your best interest in mind
Bainbridge and Howard is a MUCH different area than just off the Nostrand stop. OP, I recommend you take both my comments and the comments of the fear mongers who are saying you'll be a victim of some horrible crime with a grain of salt and try to check out the area for yourself. I've been in the area many times visiting friends who live there. Like I said before, I personally would not want to live there but there are plenty of (*gasp*) young white people living over that way. I know people who live over there, many experience some harassment, one has been beat up, most have had no major run ins. If you're willing to put up those things then go for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM

23 posts, read 39,114 times
Yo. That scary article about the college kids getting tied up? That happened off Howard Ave, almost two miles from where Mr. Kev is thinking about moving. Whole different world.

Kev -- I'm a physically un-intimidating white gay guy, and my partner and I have lived a few blocks from your potential apartment for two years. We like it so much we're looking to buy. The part of Fulton nearest your apartment will be a little loud and a little crazy, but not dangerous. You will see, very shortly after arriving, fashionable young women of every hue walking home after work, and after dark, without any noticeable apprehension. And as you head west on Fulton into Clinton Hill and Fort Greene, you will be surrounded by good bars, pretty parks, and excellent restaurants. And even if you go the other way -- deeper into Bed-Stuy, to Lewis and Stuyvesant Avenues -- you'll find lots of interesting things to eat, people to meet, and impressive buildings to look at. (Though if you do go that way, don't take Fulton. Walk on Halsey, Hancock, or Jefferson. They're prettier.)

Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
Bainbridge and Howard is a MUCH different area than just off the Nostrand stop. OP, I recommend you take both my comments and the comments of the fear mongers who are saying you'll be a victim of some horrible crime with a grain of salt and try to check out the area for yourself. I've been in the area many times visiting friends who live there. Like I said before, I personally would not want to live there but there are plenty of (*gasp*) young white people living over that way. I know people who live over there, many experience some harassment, one has been beat up, most have had no major run ins. If you're willing to put up those things then go for it.
How close is this situation to the Bedford/Nostrand stop... (far more up and coming than macon st.)
Video: Tourist Mugged, Put In Headlock In Bed-Stuy: Gothamist
And for the record, how is mentioning the reality of that still transitional neighborhood fear-mongering... How stupid do you sound when you finish that statement off by mentioning the part in bold... Paraphrasing here... "I would never live there, but theres some white faces which clearly means the neighborhoods safe but despite that a lot of my friends who live over there get harassed and one of them got beat up pretty bad... but it's safe so you should definitely check it out" are you mentally deficient... your post is chock full of oxymorons and it reveals the lack of knowledge you truly have on the area... Btw, stop looking at NYwriterdudes posts for inspiration... He's an example of what not to do on city-data...

Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,489 times
OP said the place is at Macon & Marcy which is way much better than the Bainbridge/Howard area imo. If he uses common sense and don't mess around like he owns the block, he should be fine (like in 90% of western world major cities).

Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM

446 posts, read 997,284 times
This place is a hell hole. Awful traffic, constructrion crews digging up random pits in streets all over the place... and now theyryre UNpaving roads everywhere and just leaving them. Pair the construction, piles of dirt, traffic, unpaved roads and dry weather, and you've got a giant cloud of dust just hanging in the air that you have to breathe in and walk through. Getting pretty sick of this neighborhood. Feels like the quality of life has gone down.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
How close is this situation to the Bedford/Nostrand stop... (far more up and coming than macon st.)
Video: Tourist Mugged, Put In Headlock In Bed-Stuy: Gothamist
And for the record, how is mentioning the reality of that still transitional neighborhood fear-mongering... How stupid do you sound when you finish that statement off by mentioning the part in bold... Paraphrasing here... "I would never live there, but theres some white faces which clearly means the neighborhoods safe but despite that a lot of my friends who live over there get harassed and one of them got beat up pretty bad... but it's safe so you should definitely check it out" are you mentally deficient... your post is chock full of oxymorons and it reveals the lack of knowledge you truly have on the area... Btw, stop looking at NYwriterdudes posts for inspiration... He's an example of what not to do on city-data...
Chill out dude. I'm giving my opinion, and no, it's not full of oxymorons. To restate: *I* would not personally want to live there. There are quality of life issues there and it is certainly a neighborhood in transition. I've put up with that type of environment in my younger years and prefer to avoid it now that I can afford to.

It seems to me that YOU are the one with an outdated opinion. It's not the same Bed-Stuy that existed 10 years ago. It's no utopia either...far from it. I'm simply saying that you can live there without fearing that something awful is constantly waiting around the corner. There are random terrible things that happen there just like many other neighborhoods yet many "gentrifiers" survive there just fine. Including many I know personally and whom I visit.

The A/C line from Franklin to Utica, if you're going to live in Bed-Stuy, is the area you want to live in IMO.

As for NYWriterdude's posts? I think you have me confused with someone else. Although I agree with a lot of what he says I don't generally get involved in controversial threads these days (although apparently this is turning into one).

Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM

254 posts, read 436,439 times
Bed-Stuy...even the cops don't want to be there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City