Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 PM

106,283 posts, read 108,297,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Hello City Data forumers of NYC!

I am planning to move to NYC after a graduate from George Mason or Old Dominion University in the long future (6-8 years later). I'm currently a Junior in high school. I was really looking forward to moving here until I saw the gun laws.

If I'm correct, if you cannot register an "assualt" weapon on or before the deadline of January 15, 2014, then they are completely banned from the state? So, that means there's no way I can bring in any "assault" firearm into the state of New York, because of a simple thumb hole stock? The rifle I plan on investing on is a VEPR. It comes with a 5 round magazine and a thumb hole stock.
&
Here is VEPR with a thumb hole stock or pistol grip, would look like. In case anyone didn't know. Both are banned under the law by January 16th, 2014.

What can I do about this??? I'm really disappointed about this law... I really want to move to NYC
You are confusing new york state with nyc. You cannot own or register any cosmetically scarey guns here in the city at any time.

Even though they call them assualt weapons they are only semi auto versions of actual fully auto assault weapons.

We have not been able to own them in nyc for many many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 PM

409 posts, read 496,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
The same thing is often addressed with cigarettes. alcohol, and even junk food. Things you don't need, but in the end, people feel like they should eat or smoke whatever they want, even if it hurts their health.

You don't NEED this weapon or any firearm in NYC, but I believe that everyone should be their own first responders when it comes to a life threatening situation, not the police; and thus they MAY (but obviously don't HAVE to) choose to arm themselves with a pistol, shotgun, rifle or whatever.

What I don't get is banning certain "assualt" features on a rifle, like it's going to make it any less deadlier than it already was. And even banning "assault" weapons in the first place...since they account for less than 1% of the gun deaths in the United States.

But anyways, I found a NY legal version of what I was looking for by the way. It doesn't have a thumb hole nor a pistol grip. I'm bringing this baby in!
Looks plenty purdy. Me, I'm planning on a nice CZ 455/452 or a cheaper Savage Mk.2. I haven't shot a firearm since I was 8 in China, so baby steps.

Also, a very helpful reddit thread regarding NYC firearms ownership.

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comment...in_nyc_part_1/

tl;dr, rifle/shotgun permits are much easier to get.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM

430 posts, read 1,190,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
Looks plenty purdy. Me, I'm planning on a nice CZ 455/452 or a cheaper Savage Mk.2. I haven't shot a firearm since I was 8 in China, so baby steps.

A guide on how to own a firearm in NYC. Part 1 : guns

Amazing post on Reddit.

It's not as bad as it seems.
It's just that one needs a permit to posses, store ammo. Not too bad. Not too bad at all, thanks!

Ever thought about getting a CZ 527??

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM

409 posts, read 496,721 times
Not as a first rifle no, I've heard shooting centerfire firearms as your first gives you a nasty flinch. If I was to get a Centerfire, it probably gonna be a mosin or the CZ 550 (w. the Mannlicher stock ofc).

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 AM

106,283 posts, read 108,297,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post

A guide on how to own a firearm in NYC. Part 1 : guns

the nyc residence pistol permit is just as easy to get as the rifle shotgun permits are .

Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 AM

18,962 posts, read 13,852,338 times
If you're a gun enthusiast, your best bet is to stay far away from NY state, and definitely NYC. I'm fleeing as soon as I can and taking whatever I may or may not own with me. Personal protection is a right enjoyed by very few people here, mostly just police. If you intend to protect your own family, NYC is not the place for you. The overwhelming majority of residents here are content waiting for the police to arrive for all of their safety needs and will continue to vote to ensure that those of us who disagree with them are forced to deal with it also.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 844 times
Default Tax Lawyer

Now a stage this is not safe to use this gun keep its according to our law admits.

[url]www.smurugappan.com[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: