Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the tour has been stopped. I suspect the Democratic attack dogs persuaded them in a not too subtle way. So I guess this means we will continue to shuttle tourists to Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo, and the Botanical Gardens, and tell everyone how wonderful, safe, clean, and idyllic the Bronx is! Just like going through a 5 block radius of Brooklyn Heights, with beautiful million dollar brownstones and epic views, and saying "well folks, that's pretty much what Brooklyn is, isn't Brooklyn utopia?"

FYI, the nyveatours (the ones that come on my block) are still running, so these types of tours aren't stopping. And they shouldn't....I want people to see of of NYC, and all of the Bronx, and not just the VERY few places the city promotes and actually invests in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
The first time I visited NYC when I was a kid, my family took a bus tour of Manhattan. One of the stops was the Bowery which was a skid row back then (the 1960s). That's what I'd been waiting for. The seamy underbelly of NY. The gritty NY. I was in hog-heaven. Best part of the whole tour. Now anytime I visit a city for the first time I make a point of seeing the rough parts as well as the nice parts. The poor neighborhoods as well as the rich. That's the only way to really get to know a city.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Don't look at me. That's what Google Maps has... Most people consider Riverdale to be a northern extension of Manhattan anyway and apparently Google does too, so there you have it.

Also it says Bedford Park, Bronx in Google Maps, not Manhattan.
How about University Heights, Morris Heights, Highbridge & Mott Haven? (Somebody already mentioned Kingsbridge) They labeled the entire West Bronx as part of Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I can tell you right now that we aren't included in that "Real Ghetto of the Bronx Tour". Another "idiot" that left us out...
Actually, it's just Real Bronx Tours. They show other things besides the ghetto. (And from what it sounds like, they just make a couple of stops in Mott Haven, so there's a bunch of other ghetto areas that aren't included). I highly doubt they go out to Soundview (since it's so isolated), so I guess Soundview isn't a part of The Bronx either.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
They should drive the bus through brownsville to give the neighborhood kids something to do. They'll have a great time with all the extra target shooting

Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
They should drive the bus through brownsville to give the neighborhood kids something to do. They'll have a great time with all the extra target shooting
Boogie Down Brooklyn anyone?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Unfortunately, the tour has been stopped. I suspect the Democratic attack dogs persuaded them in a not too subtle way. So I guess this means we will continue to shuttle tourists to Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo, and the Botanical Gardens, and tell everyone how wonderful, safe, clean, and idyllic the Bronx is! Just like going through a 5 block radius of Brooklyn Heights, with beautiful million dollar brownstones and epic views, and saying "well folks, that's pretty much what Brooklyn is, isn't Brooklyn utopia?"

FYI, the nyveatours (the ones that come on my block) are still running, so these types of tours aren't stopping. And they shouldn't....I want people to see of of NYC, and all of the Bronx, and not just the VERY few places the city promotes and actually invests in.
Like I posted earlier in this thread, if people want to see the Bronx so badly, they can do some research and take the subway up there like the cast majority of tourists do when visiting New York neighbourhoods. The problem with this particular tour was the ghetto tourism feel it had, with tourists snapping spots of "NYC's most infamous ghetto" like it was some kind of zoo for the poor and disenfranchised.

As for you, SobroGuy, from your previous posts in threads I've posted in, it's obvious you are probably a somewhat recent Bronx arrival, perhaps owning one of those buildings on "Dentist's Row" and now seem to think the neighbourhood is somehow yours judging by the nasty way you respond to some posters in threads about the Bronx. I wonder how much leisure time you actually spend in your neighbourhood with people outside you socio-economic milieu - how many poor Hispanic and black friends you chill with in the areas outside your little block, and if you aren't really just investing in the Bronx to get in on the ground floor, so to speak. Even your handle, "SobroGuy" shows that you've embraced the New York Times / Realtor branding of the neighbourhood as a new, hip neighbourhood ripe for gentrification. You act like you know the Bronx better than just about everybody, but you really seem more like an upper-middle class, right-leaning capitalist who has more interested in seeing the neighbourhood gentrify than in making life better for the folks that already live there.

Perhaps I'm way off base here. But the people I've known who grew up in the Bronx are more humble, less abrasive and arrogant, and certainly less enthusiastic about seeing their neighbourhood turn into the next Williamsburg, or Park Slope, or Prospect Heights, etc. You may have an arsenal of facts about the Bronx (and who can't amass one of those in the Internet age), but you don't seem to love the neighbourhood as it is. You seem to want it to change so it's more like your idea of a good neighbourhood, and perhaps so you can make some serious dollars in the process. Are you a realtor or something? I know for certain that you are a number of things, but I don't like to say unkind things about people. Maybe if you stopped coming off as an arrogant, know-it-all, ego-centric king-of-the-Bronx type, I could respectfully disagree with you without having such a negative perception of you and your personality.

And just because I'm from Toronto doesn't mean a damn thing - you've actually ridiculed me for living in TO, as if I had no standing to make comments about a city and neighbourhood I don't live in, despite my roots and ties to the city. What was it you said...."go back to the Toronto forum," or something like that, like I was out of my depth in a forum about New York. That was one of the times your sense of superiority for being a New Yorker (were you born and raised in the city?), and arrogance caused you to speak to me as if I don't belong in this forum, posting about New York. Because I suppose you are the ultimate authority, ¿verdad? I've seen you speak that way to other posters as well, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to noticed your mean-spirited posts and wondered what your problem was.

So, yeah. I've gone a bit off-topic here and perhaps this wasn't the place for me to call you out, but I'm doing it. I almost never post in this forum any more because of you, and I wonder how many others have made the same decision for the same reason. In a sense, you've hijacked the forum - at least in threads about the Bronx. By ridiculing people who disagree with you, you create an environment of mean-spirited condescension, and I don't like it.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 PM

420 posts, read 697,986 times
Let the people see the dam ghetto. It won't be there much longer anyway. I would take the tour and take pictures my damn self before those sights get replaced with Marriott.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Like I posted earlier in this thread, if people want to see the Bronx so badly, they can do some research and take the subway up there like the cast majority of tourists do when visiting New York neighbourhoods. The problem with this particular tour was the ghetto tourism feel it had, with tourists snapping spots of "NYC's most infamous ghetto" like it was some kind of zoo for the poor and disenfranchised.

As for you, SobroGuy, from your previous posts in threads I've posted in, it's obvious you are probably a somewhat recent Bronx arrival, perhaps owning one of those buildings on "Dentist's Row" and now seem to think the neighbourhood is somehow yours judging by the nasty way you respond to some posters in threads about the Bronx. I wonder how much leisure time you actually spend in your neighbourhood with people outside you socio-economic milieu - how many poor Hispanic and black friends you chill with in the areas outside your little block, and if you aren't really just investing in the Bronx to get in on the ground floor, so to speak. Even your handle, "SobroGuy" shows that you've embraced the New York Times / Realtor branding of the neighbourhood as a new, hip neighbourhood ripe for gentrification. You act like you know the Bronx better than just about everybody, but you really seem more like an upper-middle class, right-leaning capitalist who has more interested in seeing the neighbourhood gentrify than in making life better for the folks that already live there.
I am Black and I was born in NYC. I do remember NYC pre gentrification . It sucked. Crime. Decaying buildings and facilities. No new investment of infrastructure. It SUCKED. Oh, but in those days the city spend money on welfare as if money grew on trees. If you are a disenfranchised urban youth, you could do no wrong in the eyes of poverty pimps. Thank god those days are over.

I recall when the Bronx had a bunch of vacant, burned out blocks. There's still some of this left, but not nearly has bad as it used to be. The Bronx got better (ditto for other parts of the city) due to corporate investment and new city policies.

And as for Black people liking the old Bronx, please, many Blacks and Hispanics moved out to suburbs or other places where their kids wouldn't be corrupted by the nonsense around them. Back when big parts of the city were totally welfare land, IT SUCKED if you LIVED in these areas. No getting around it.

The reason why the city used hipsterization as one of their tools to change things is that bleeding heart liberals, in search of adoration and support from the "poor" were totally cool with parts of the city being welfare states. There was not going to be any attempt to make things better, because people like you viewed down and out Blacks and Hispanics as a natural base of support and needed to keep them poor . The fact that some people moved out of their own volition or others like Sonia Sotomayor (US Supreme Court Justice) got great educations and moved up socioeconomically infuriates you, because is disrupts your poverty pimping.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The reason why the city used hipsterization as one of their tools to change things is that bleeding heart liberals, in search of adoration and support from the "poor" were totally cool with parts of the city being welfare states. There was not going to be any attempt to make things better, because people like you viewed down and out Blacks and Hispanics as a natural base of support and needed to keep them poor . The fact that some people moved out of their own volition or others like Sonia Sotomayor (US Supreme Court Justice) got great educations and moved up socioeconomically infuriates you, because is disrupts your poverty pimping.
Everyone has their ax to grind. The tours were poverty pimping in the true sense. TOkidd - keep posting. So what if someone disagrees with you? Someone always will.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am Black and I was born in NYC. I do remember NYC pre gentrification . It sucked. Crime. Decaying buildings and facilities. No new investment of infrastructure. It SUCKED. Oh, but in those days the city spend money on welfare as if money grew on trees. If you are a disenfranchised urban youth, you could do no wrong in the eyes of poverty pimps. Thank god those days are over.

I recall when the Bronx had a bunch of vacant, burned out blocks. There's still some of this left, but not nearly has bad as it used to be. The Bronx got better (ditto for other parts of the city) due to corporate investment and new city policies.

And as for Black people liking the old Bronx, please, many Blacks and Hispanics moved out to suburbs or other places where their kids wouldn't be corrupted by the nonsense around them. Back when big parts of the city were totally welfare land, IT SUCKED if you LIVED in these areas. No getting around it.

To summarize, NYWriterDude is Black and gay and hates, I mean HATES welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City