Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

^ why do you talk about people you don't even know so much?

and it's always negative too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
There is a neighborhood called Riverdale, which is where I live. I don't hear people saying Oh I live in Bronx County. It's ridiculous. If they do, good for them, but it's our neighborhood and we get a say in what we want to call it, just like I see people calling their neighborhood "BeMo" or whatever the hell they refer to it as. The only issue you have with it is our social class. If I lived in some run down part of the Bronx and gave it a nice name there wouldn't be any problem with it.

Now to get back to your other comment, would you rather these people starve to death? You and SoBro or whatever his name is behave as if you snap your finger and poof, people have jobs, nice places to live and employment. It doesn't work in that fashion. I think Mr. Diaz has been working hard to bring jobs to his borough and INVESTMENT because in order to bring jobs you need INVESTMENT and people don't want to invest in run down crime ridden neighborhoods.

Image is important and the Bronx has had a terrible image for years so it isn't about hiding the ugly truth but rather showing a different part of the borough that is often times hidden under the crime and poverty.
Yes, you just said it, there is a neighborhood called Riverdale. Said neighborhood is in Bronx County, and is in the borough of the Bronx. When you fill out forms at the DMV, you have to right down you county (Bronx).

It sounds like you're afraid this woman's tour will frighten away investment. It won't. But its is true that yes, you do indeed have these food pantry lines in the Bronx and in other places as well. I've seen then in the Rockaways post Sandy.

If someone were making a documentary about a country and only showed the wealthy, would that documentary be taken seriously? Not at all. I do think its good people on tours are seeing the poverty in the city. Its a part of what makes the city what it is.

And for the record, I do think it looks bad that there are all these people online to go to the soup kitchen. But this woman did not create those conditions, did she? As if people didn't already see this and already form negative stereotypes or images from it. Its not like poverty in the Bronx will be a shocker to anyone. As for positive news from the Bronx, we've seen quite a bit of that in the form of recent real estate deals.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, you just said it, there is a neighborhood called Riverdale. Said neighborhood is in Bronx County, and is in the borough of the Bronx. When you fill out forms at the DMV, you have to right down you county (Bronx).

It sounds like you're afraid this woman's tour will frighten away investment. It won't. But its is true that yes, you do indeed have these food pantry lines in the Bronx and in other places as well. I've seen then in the Rockaways post Sandy.

If someone were making a documentary about a country and only showed the wealthy, would that documentary be taken seriously? Not at all. I do think its good people on tours are seeing the poverty in the city. Its a part of what makes the city what it is.

And for the record, I do think it looks bad that there are all these people online to go to the soup kitchen. But this woman did not create those conditions, did she? As if people didn't already see this and already form negative stereotypes or images from it. Its not like poverty in the Bronx will be a shocker to anyone. As for positive news from the Bronx, we've seen quite a bit of that in the form of recent real estate deals.
We're talking about the neighborhood, nothing more and it's called Riverdale, period. Whether you want to accept that or not isn't my problem, but that's what we call it here. You can check Google maps and see what they call it if it makes you feel better.

Riverdale, Manhattan, NY - Google Maps

I'm not at all concerned about investment if you're referring to Riverdale. We have plenty of investment here. It's the neighborhoods in the Bronx that suffer from poverty and a terrible image that would suffer.

With regards to the tours, everyone knows that the Bronx suffers from poverty, not just here in New York, but internationally. There is no need to give a tour for that. It's just a way to rub salt in an open womb. If it's about poverty in New York City as you and SoBro keep claiming, they wouldn't just focus on the Bronx solely because there are plenty of ghettos all over the city that they can visit. This was being done solely for entertainment purposes as if someone else's poverty should be mocked.

If that wasn't the reason, explain then why they're stopping the tours?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grosvenor View Post
we're talking about the neighborhood, nothing more and it's called riverdale, period. Whether you want to accept that or not isn't my problem, but that's what we call it here. You can check google maps and see what they call it if it makes you feel better.

riverdale, manhattan, ny - google maps

i'm not at all concerned about investment if you're referring to riverdale. We have plenty of investment here. It's the neighborhoods in the bronx that suffer from poverty and a terrible image that would suffer.

With regards to the tours, everyone knows that the bronx suffers from poverty, not just here in new york, but internationally. There is no need to give a tour for that. It's just a way to rub salt in an open womb. if it's about poverty in new york city as you and sobro keep claiming, they wouldn't just focus on the bronx solely because there are plenty of ghettos all over the city that they can visit. This was being done solely for entertainment purposes as if someone else's poverty should be mocked.
if that wasn't the reason, explain then why they're stopping the tours?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Grosvenor - I'm totally with you on the tour issue. Absolutely exploitative, and I think Sobro/NYWriter are dead wrong on this. It's about humanity - I sure it feels horrible to have to stand in line for the food pantry. Imagine a tour bus coming around watching you.

But Riverdale, Manhattan? It's Riverdale, Bronx! If I type in Bedford Park, Manhattan into your link, it points to my neighborhood - but it's still the Bronx!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Grosvenor - I'm totally with you on the tour issue. Absolutely exploitative, and I think Sobro/NYWriter are dead wrong on this. It's about humanity - I sure it feels horrible to have to stand in line for the food pantry. Imagine a tour bus coming around watching you.

But Riverdale, Manhattan? It's Riverdale, Bronx! If I type in Bedford Park, Manhattan into your link, it points to my neighborhood - but it's still the Bronx!!!
Don't look at me. That's what Google Maps has... Most people consider Riverdale to be a northern extension of Manhattan anyway and apparently Google does too, so there you have it.

Also it says Bedford Park, Bronx in Google Maps, not Manhattan.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Don't look at me. That's what Google Maps has... Most people consider Riverdale to be a northern extension of Manhattan anyway and apparently Google does too, so there you have it.

Also it says Bedford Park, Bronx in Google Maps, not Manhattan.
Most people consider Riverdale to be a norther extension of Manhattan - Are you kidding me??? I guess most of the people you know are not the same people as most of the people I know because I don't know anyone who considers Riverdale to be part of Manhattan. I'd suggest you try and meet some new people, because most of the people you know seem to be idiots (no offense).

Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
lls

Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Most people consider Riverdale to be a norther extension of Manhattan - Are you kidding me??? I guess most of the people you know are not the same people as most of the people I know because I don't know anyone who considers Riverdale to be part of Manhattan. I'd suggest you try and meet some new people, because most of the people you know seem to be idiots (no offense).
I wasn't talking about people I know. Do a search here on this forum or on Google and see how many topics come up asking about is Riverdale in Manhattan? Second, Google Maps doesn't have us as part of the Bronx, so I guess there are a lot of idiots out there. Geographically speaking the only thing separating us from Manhattan is the Spuyten Duyvil Creek, so it isn't so outrageous that anyone would think that. As far as I'm concerned we have our own thing up here. Certainly no relation to Manhattan but I can understand those who think that way and don't know any better.

I can tell you right now that we aren't included in that "Real Ghetto of the Bronx Tour". Another "idiot" that left us out...

Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It sounds like people want a big problem in the city hidden from the sight of outsiders. There's a huge underclass here, especially Black and Hispanic, and especially in certain parts of the outer boroughs. Why even try to deny it?

And for that matter, what good is just giving them food doing them? Its social services that's creating the soup kitchen lines almost zoo like environment.

After hurricane Sandy, when I saw the long lines of Blacks online for all sorts of free stuff, and help, I felt really bad. I was even offended, because it felt like a zoo. Lets throw these "poor" whatever crumbs. At the end of the day, they will be just as poor, coming back for more crumbs. Especially since many of them weren't working before the storm. What they need is JOBS, and good INSURANCE policies (you can get renters insurance) in case the next storm is as bad as Sandy.
Ok, but here's the thing: it's NOT hidden at all. Our politicians cannot get enough of shouting about how the Bronx is the poorest, lowest, and worst in every aspect. NOBODY is being fooled. It's been written about for 30+ years; everybody already knows the story of the Bronx. You woudl have to live under a rock not to know what the score is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City