U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM

6,989 posts, read 6,518,921 times

Advertisements

Tourists are crowding onto a Bronx bus tour that promises “a ride through a real New York City ‘GHETTO’ ” — and local politicians are furious.
Three times a week, Real Bronx Tours takes riders — mainly white Europeans and Australians — on a trip that includes stops at food-pantry lines and a “pickpocket” park.
Last week, on the first stop of the $45 tour, guide Lynn Battaglia, from Pittsburgh, pointed out a housing project. She then mocked the Grand Concourse, modeled after a Parisian boulevard.
“Do you feel like we’re on the Champs-Elysées?” she teased a couple from Paris.

SORRY SIGHT: Lynn Battaglia, a guide for Real Bronx Tours, points out sights on East 148th Street.

As the bus idled across from historic St. Ann’s Episcopalian Church, Battaglia launched into a description of the crime, poverty and violence that plagued the South Bronx during the 1970s recession.
As she spoke, a line of two dozen poor people — including one man visibly agitated by the onlookers — waited for handouts from the church pantry.
“I don’t know what that line’s about, but every Wednesday we see it,” Battaglia told the tourists. “We see them go in with empty carts, and we see them come out with carts full.”
The bus stopped in front of St. Mary’s Park, where she credited Mayor Rudy Giuliani for curbing crime.
“If it were 1980 and you said to me, ‘Lynn, I want to die.’ My answer would be, ‘You’re in the right neighborhood,’ ” she said.
She suggested the park is still dangerous.
“I might encourage you to walk with a New Yorker, not because you’re going to get shot, just because sometimes people take advantage if they know you’re a tourist, either charge you too much or maybe someone would pick your pocket,” she said.
The group listened as the bus swung onto East 140th Street, where Battaglia claimed the derogatory use of the word “pig” for police officer was born.
“The policeman, his name is Patty, and he would walk up and down that street, and if he ran into an alcoholic, he’d beat them mercilessly. So they’d call him ‘Patty the Pig,’ ” she said.
The Online Etymology Dictionary says the slang originated in London in 1811.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz slammed the guide as “the biggest fool on the planet.”
“They should tell people about The Bronx that we all know, and that’s The Bronx that’s had the lowest crime rate since 1963 last year,” he said.
“To have foreigners come and gawk at a long line of people who are less fortunate than they are and to make money off of that and to view them as they are some sort of entertainment is pretty disgusting.”
Real Bronx Tours did not respond to a request for comment.

Politicians furious over Bronx bus company's 'Ghetto' tour - NYPOST.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM

9,154 posts, read 22,998,637 times
Have to say,I actually hope someone takes a shot at her if she continues with her tours.What a despicable creature.Don't even want to give her the dignity of calling her a despicable human being.

Glad they posted such a good picture of her.If she uses the subways she better keep back a safe distance from the edge of the platform.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-20-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,369,255 times
Similar to slumming tours in Guilded Age NYC. I agree with Bluedog - despicable.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,546,240 times
Is there anything still worth seeing? She should lead the tour to Detroit.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Should find out where she lives and get the people on line at the pantry to go up to tour her house/hood.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM

6,682 posts, read 7,651,091 times
Firth off she's from Pittsburgh? What does she know about the Ghetto parts of the Bronxs. I'm obviously against the tour but at least if your gonna do a tour like this be from a "ghetto area in the bronx"

Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM

By the way, there are food pantries in Manhattan too!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

235 posts, read 357,266 times
Hahaha wow... this is just mess up. Why don't she go to Brownsville where is way more Ghetto and dangerous there. They will have a better experience there.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM

2,811 posts, read 3,612,237 times
That's just wrong for so many reasons. If you're interested enough in the Bronx, and not just a ghetto tourist gawking at other peoples' poverty, you'll get on the subway, go up there, and walk around - sin cámara. Otherwise, it's not much different than taking a vacation in Cancún and paying a wealthy guide to take you to visit some local Mayan villages for the specific purpose of taking in the squalor - it's just wrong, and totally ****ing pathetic. I hope someone jacks her bus when it's full of tourists - let them get a real close up view of the "ghetto" they're hoping to see.

Also, just because this pisses me off so much, I thought I'd just point out that almost everything she's quoted as telling her audience is wrong, including the etymology of the word "pig" as a reference to police. The world's first formal, modern police force was Scotland Yard in London, and I just read a book about the origins of modern law enforcement that traces the origins of the word to Victorian London. In 1811 the Bronx was completely rural and not even a part of New York City, nevermind an area with a formal police force (even Manhattan didn't have what we commonly call "police" in 1811). What a stupid lady. I hope she dies

Last edited by TOkidd; 05-20-2013 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM

148 posts, read 254,970 times
How humiliating,some people will do ANYTHING for a quick $
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City