Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM

16 posts, read 23,251 times

Advertisements

Hey all - i just saw an apartment on Wallace Avenue and Lydig in Pelham Parkway and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the neighborhood. The building is clean and well kept and it is near transportation but other than that, i don't know much about the area and i have 2 days to decide if i want to rent or not. i walked around and it reminded me of Flatbush Avenue or Utica Avenue in Brooklyn (very busy). Any and all info would be appreciated. Also, where can i find paid parking around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
It's nice.I live near there on the other side of Pelham Parkway.It's very diverse in every respect,quite safe and has lots of shopping,etc on White Plains and Lydig,lots of green space including the zoo and botanical garden,close to Little Italy/Arthur Ave and a lot of good restaurants there and over on Williamsbridge Road.Only drawback for you might be that is that it is not trendy and doesn't have much nightlife if that's what you want.

There is a 24 hour garage on Brady ,between Cruger and White Plains Road, just a couple of blocks from where you are considering.I think there is also a 24 hr garage on Antin Place at the corner of Barnes ave,next to The Bronx Visual Arts high School.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brady+...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

I have been living in the neighborhood for 4 years and have no complaints whatsoever.Moved here from Brooklyn.It's a real NY neighborhood.

There are at least 4 or 5 other CD members that I know of who live in the immediate area.

It is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in all of NYC.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-16-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM

51 posts, read 104,332 times
I lived in that area 4 years and have family there, I agree 100% with Bluedog. All kinds of people, well maintained buildings and my favorite was that the people in front of the buildings during the summer were families watching their kids play. PP has a very old school NY feel to it, I can't think of any negatives besides that there is no nightlife and finding parking is tough.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 23,251 times
Wow, i can't believe i got a response so quick! I go see places tomorrow and Saturday in Queens (another borough i've grown fond of) but if i don't see something i like that is affordable, i'm so taking this place. Thanks for the info guys. Will look into parking.

Trendy is not my thing - safety, cleanliness and courtesy is :-)

Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM

223 posts, read 615,808 times
I've lived in/at Pelham Parkway for about 10 months now and I think it's a good neighborhood. It's green & quiet except for the birds chirping in the morning lol. The buildings are well maintained and you don't see much riff raff going on. You have East/West side transport - 2/5 Pelham Parkway & 5 Morris Park. You're not going to find the kind of restaurants that serve brunch w/ mimosa in the immediate area or wine bars but there are diners, Chinese, Mexican, Albanian and other typical NYC neighborhood food spots. It's very diverse. Not only by race but culturally within the races.

Wallace seems typical for the neighborhood - green quiet with good buildings. There's another parking garage at Brady & Barnes. I don't have a car but parking looks like it's hell so a garage may be a good choice.

I don't know what your budget is or where you commute for work but considering that neighborhoods that have apartments in the $1,000 - $1,200 range are getting scarcer everyday, it might be a good idea to get in now lol.

Actually, in the past few months I've noticed a few more Waspy Whites and definitely more Asians/Chinese in the neighborhood. Guess we all gottah get in where we fit in.

Hope you have luck with you search!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
I've lived in/at Pelham Parkway for about 10 months now and I think it's a good neighborhood. It's green & quiet except for the birds chirping in the morning lol. The buildings are well maintained and you don't see much riff raff going on. You have East/West side transport - 2/5 Pelham Parkway & 5 Morris Park. You're not going to find the kind of restaurants that serve brunch w/ mimosa in the immediate area or wine bars but there are diners, Chinese, Mexican, Albanian and other typical NYC neighborhood food spots. It's very diverse. Not only by race but culturally within the races.

Wallace seems typical for the neighborhood - green quiet with good buildings. There's another parking garage at Brady & Barnes. I don't have a car but parking looks like it's hell so a garage may be a good choice.

I don't know what your budget is or where you commute for work but considering that neighborhoods that have apartments in the $1,000 - $1,200 range are getting scarcer everyday, it might be a good idea to get in now lol.

Actually, in the past few months I've noticed a few more Waspy Whites and definitely more Asians/Chinese in the neighborhood. Guess we all gottah get in where we fit in.

Hope you have luck with you search!
Jaas, your profile still says Brooklyn!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM

223 posts, read 615,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Jaas, your profile still says Brooklyn!
I know, I know. I just noticed it last night but I was too lazy to change it. I'll get on it ASAP .

Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Yep all the posters got it right. I have a co-op in Pelham Parkway and lived in it for 8 years before moving to BK in 2012. Great neighborhood. Since you're not seeking "hip and trendy" the only drawback for you will be the parking. It seems like there is plenty of street parking but it's deceptive! Come 7PM its hard to find a good spot and if you come home after 10 or 11 PM, forget it. I have a car and would park it at my parents in Westchester during the week (and pick it up on the weekends) until I got a parking spot off my building's parking wait list. Sounds excessive but I couldn't deal with the lack of parking combined with alternate side parking while working a traditional 9-5 schedule. Paying for a garage is well advised.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelowe1 View Post
Hey all - i just saw an apartment on Wallace Avenue and Lydig in Pelham Parkway and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the neighborhood. The building is clean and well kept and it is near transportation but other than that, i don't know much about the area and i have 2 days to decide if i want to rent or not. i walked around and it reminded me of Flatbush Avenue or Utica Avenue in Brooklyn (very busy). Any and all info would be appreciated. Also, where can i find paid parking around there?
No, Wallace Avenue is a lot nicer than Utica or Flatbush. I have had several friends who've lived there and like it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City