U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 PM

25,543 posts, read 19,974,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There are really no Asians in SI?

Anyway why haven't you moved to some other part of the city already?!
Of course there are other Asians in Staten Island. Its easier to complain about your problems and put the blame on others rather than confront them and find solutions. He came here looking for pity and sympathy. Only he's looking in the wrong place, the people on this forum are merciless.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 49,631 times
How about suggestions on where to go in Manhattan? Or Brooklyn? I'm obviously going to the wrong places. I guess I am whinning but I'm asking for help on where to go. saying "go out' isn't specific at all.

I want to meet people here on Staten Island since I live here, it sucks that I can't find people in my own neighborhood. I mean, I don't understand why it's so hard. I feel kind of cheated socially. It hurts when people don't want you around before you get to say hello.

God I hate it everytime I tell people it will take me 2hrs to meet them in midtown. 25mins to drive to train. 30min train ride, 30 min ferry. then 35mins to get to where I'm going. The commute wears me down and I loose a lot of energy.

I don't care if the people I meet are asian or not.

Why does everybody think that all I want to meet are fellow Asians? I like meeting them and people of all backgrounds. The main reason a lot of Asians stick together is that they don't feel welcomed by others.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 PM

11,661 posts, read 8,751,413 times
If you are 20-something years old, grew up in a particular place, never left there and have NO friends, then your problems are your own. What you are describing could only possibly make sense in an extremely small town, which no matter what people say, Staten Island is not. There are plenty of socially awkward Asians, whites, blacks, whatever on SI who do just fine with the friends they grew up with.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM

8,014 posts, read 10,139,004 times
Don't give up.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you are 20-something years old, grew up in a particular place, never left there and have NO friends, then your problems are your own. What you are describing could only possibly make sense in an extremely small town, which no matter what people say, Staten Island is not. There are plenty of socially awkward Asians, whites, blacks, whatever on SI who do just fine with the friends they grew up with.
Exactly!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post
How about suggestions on where to go in Manhattan? Or Brooklyn? I'm obviously going to the wrong places. I guess I am whinning but I'm asking for help on where to go. saying "go out' isn't specific at all.

I want to meet people here on Staten Island since I live here, it sucks that I can't find people in my own neighborhood. I mean, I don't understand why it's so hard. I feel kind of cheated socially. It hurts when people don't want you around before you get to say hello.

God I hate it everytime I tell people it will take me 2hrs to meet them in midtown. 25mins to drive to train. 30min train ride, 30 min ferry. then 35mins to get to where I'm going. The commute wears me down and I loose a lot of energy.

I don't care if the people I meet are asian or not.

Why does everybody think that all I want to meet are fellow Asians? I like meeting them and people of all backgrounds. The main reason a lot of Asians stick together is that they don't feel welcomed by others.
How about you figure that stuff out on your own? A part of being a grown man is being able to find things on your own. If you want to know what clubs in Manhattan or Brooklyn are swinging, go to the areas that have clubs, check them all out, or as many as you can. If you don't like a place, you just leave it and go to the next place.

I know you'll have another excuse or whine for that, but its just pathetic, dude!

No one assumed that you only wanted to meet Asians. However, if the whites in Staten Island are as racist as you claim, what magic words do you think you find here that would undo that? Nothing anyone here can say or do will help you in that regard, if your claims are true. And how pathetic, why try to be among people who hate you? People were suggesting you find communities with more Asians in it because presumably the non Asians there would be more accepting of Asians, since they are used to being around people of diverse backgrounds.

But don't take the advice of people here if you don't want to. Keep getting dissed by Italians in Staten Island (if that's really true) and spend your whole life miserable.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,834,772 times
You should just move to Queens. Areas like Bayside & Fresh Meadows are very similar to most Staten Island nabes except they have a lot of Chinese people and generally are more "alive".

Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 PM

91 posts, read 146,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
You should just move to Queens. Areas like Bayside & Fresh Meadows are very similar to most Staten Island nabes except they have a lot of Chinese people and generally are more "alive".
You can throw Flushing in there as well.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM

3,875 posts, read 8,154,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post
And..... there are no asian women that I've seen on staten island. I think their was 3 Asian women in the entire HS and I was not in any of their classes. There's that girl at the mall I tried talking to but she wasn't interested.
You mean there were no Asian women in that part of Staten Island. There are a sizable amount of Asians in many Mid-Island communities. (Most of the areas near the SIE, and then there's New Springville & Heartland Village near the mall). Not tons of them, but maybe 15-20%, depending on the neighborhood. Most of my classes in HS are about 25% Asian or so, and we're in Port Richmond of all places (a lot of them come from Mid-Island neighborhoods, though, not Port Richmond).

Old 05-22-2013, 03:00 PM

37 posts, read 44,517 times
I also recommend moving off the Island to find a place where you belong. That's why I'm in Brooklyn now :-)

I also echo the sentiments of others in regards to Asians on Staten Island. I was born and raised there, and there are plenty of Asians. You said you only had three Asian girls in your grade while in high school. Which high school was this? Because in no way was it a public school. I went to Tottenville and there were numerous Asians there, and still are.

Yes, Staten Island is boring and the people can be shallow. But that is when you find a place where you can belong, and make every effort to get there. The choice is yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City