Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times

Advertisements

Tommy Mickens/Tony Montana had his "legitimate" businesses on Merrick, on the corner of the block where I grew up. Everyone knew what was going on but, IMO, if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't have necessarily known it was there. I can't recall any obvious heavy drug trafficking going on. Perhaps is wasn't as out in the open as in other places. There were many private houses where drugs may have been sold behind the scenes.

Tommy Mickens/Tony Montana(Legendary Drug King-Pin from Queens,New York)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
What are the boundaries of "Southside" Jamaica. When I was growing up in the Jamaica area, the rough part of town was called "South" Jamaica, and it was Merrick Blvd to the north, Van Wyck Expwy to the south, Baisley Houses to the east and South Road to the west. South Road was always a poor area but it turned into a hotbed of drugs and prostitution during the crack era.
I never believe the exact boundaries of what is considered Southside were ever really established. Some say it stops at the Van Wyck but others say it also included much of South Ozone Park (specifically the 130's going back to the Van). Some also say it stops at Merrick Blvd but then others say the neighborhood across from Rochdale Village is also "Southside" (I disagree with this, we used to call that area "the back blocks"). Some even try to consider Rochdale itself part of Southside while others extend the boundaries past South Rd and Liberty to include what we used to call "Bricktown" (Liberty & 177 and back).

In my opinion as of nowadays there is no more "Southside", its only South Jamaica and what I call "Richmond Hills East" lol

Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
I never believe the exact boundaries of what is considered Southside were ever really established. Some say it stops at the Van Wyck but others say it also included much of South Ozone Park (specifically the 130's going back to the Van). Some also say it stops at Merrick Blvd but then others say the neighborhood across from Rochdale Village is also "Southside" (I disagree with this, we used to call that area "the back blocks"). Some even try to consider Rochdale itself part of Southside while others extend the boundaries past South Rd and Liberty to include what we used to call "Bricktown" (Liberty & 177 and back).

In my opinion as of nowadays there is no more "Southside", its only South Jamaica and what I call "Richmond Hills East" lol
My mom was a teacher at P.S. 80 (Rochdale) during the whole crack era and I worked in Rochdale in the Fall of 1984. Neither of us ever felt fearful of being in that area. Not until crack was long gone did I discover how dangerous the areas near Rochdale actually were.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
My mom was a teacher at P.S. 80 (Rochdale) during the whole crack era and I worked in Rochdale in the Fall of 1984. Neither of us ever felt fearful of being in that area. Not until crack was long gone did I discover how dangerous the areas near Rochdale actually were.
PS 80 was not in Rochadale but in Mosholu Pkwy. It's actually the school Laverne from laverne and Shirely went to. Sorry if I came across racist.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
PS 80 was not in Rochadale but in Mosholu Pkwy. It's actually the school Laverne from laverne and Shirely went to. Sorry if I came across racist.
PS 80, Queens is on 137th Avenue next to the small mall in Rochdale. What the heck are you talking about?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM

398 posts, read 1,392,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
That's why I have to dock Hunts Point, but trust me, Hunts Point doesn't need the Rikers stats to make it bad. It's murder rate in 1990 was 112 w/Rikers, it would still be over 100 on it's own.
What about in 1971(I believe it was 1971). They had over 100 murders that year and their murder and crime rate was by far the worst I've ever seen. The early 1970s in hunts point was probably the most murderous span for a neighborhood in America. Was that affected by rikers back then too? If so by how much? Because you said even without the happy land fire they still would've been in the 100s

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM

398 posts, read 1,392,500 times
Quote:
This brings up another question. What were the most dangerous high schools in NYC during the crack era? Everyone knows about the Tyrone sinker incident were he killed those two kids.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Here are some peak murder rates of select precincts:

New York Murder Mystery: The True Story Behind the Crime Crash of the 1990s - Google Books

Boy was I wrong on Brownsville and East Harlem. I based my numbers off 1990, a year in which both precincts had lower murder rates, and this led me to believe they weren't as bad as others, but as you can see they were right there.

Hunts Point had Rikers Island inflate it's stats a bit so I think it's safe to say that top to bottom, Harlem was the worst. They don't include the 30th precinct here (West Harlem) which had a murder rate of about 94 in 1990.

Mott Haven is in the discussion and as I've said, Biggie's old hood, Bed-Stuy, was the very worst of Brooklyn.
Attached Thumbnails
Worst neighborhood in NYC during the crack epidemic-screen-shot-2014-03-20-1.08.44  

Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Here are some peak murder rates of select precincts:

New York Murder Mystery: The True Story Behind the Crime Crash of the 1990s - Google Books

Boy was I wrong on Brownsville and East Harlem. I based my numbers off 1990, a year in which both precincts had lower murder rates, and this led me to believe they weren't as bad as others, but as you can see they were right there.

Hunts Point had Rikers Island inflate it's stats a bit so I think it's safe to say that top to bottom, Harlem was the worst. They don't include the 30th precinct here (West Harlem) which had a murder rate of about 94 in 1990.

Mott Haven is in the discussion and as I've said, Biggie's old hood, Bed-Stuy, was the very worst of Brooklyn.
I think Biggie was actually from the 88th precinct.

Wouldn't of thought Midtown had that many murders back in the day. The old Times Square, and some say they miss it.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think Biggie was actually from the 88th precinct.

Wouldn't of thought Midtown had that many murders back in the day. The old Times Square, and some say they miss it.
Oh, never knew that. Thanks.

Midtown has a transient population so even a couple of murders is going to shoot it right up.

Also, I don't think Hunts Point had Riker's stats included until 1998, cause that's the year you see the precinct felony assault rate double even compared to the early 1990's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City