U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,318,488 times
Reputation: 88

Advertisements

What was the worst? What was the worst for each borough? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,318,488 times
Reputation: 88
For brooklyn I'd say either ENY or Bed Stuy. For Bronx I'd say Mott haven. Even though Hunts Point was probably the worst neighborhood of all time during the 1970s. During the early 1970s hunts point average 120 to 130 murders a year. And they had a population of about 20,000. For queens I'd say Jamaica. For Manhattan I'd say Harlem or Washington Heights. Idk about Staten Island, but it would probably be Stapleton.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM
 
25,539 posts, read 22,379,193 times
Reputation: 10094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis_Island View Post
For brooklyn I'd say either ENY or Bed Stuy. For Bronx I'd say Mott haven. Even though Hunts Point was probably the worst neighborhood of all time during the 1970s. During the early 1970s hunts point average 120 to 130 murders a year. And they had a population of about 20,000. For queens I'd say Jamaica. For Manhattan I'd say Harlem or Washington Heights. Idk about Staten Island, but it would probably be Stapleton.
In Queens, Corona was also pretty bad, especially because of Lefrak City. Then called Lecrack City. LOL Roosevelt Avenue was rough in those days too, lots of blatantly open prostitution and drug dealing (through Corona and Jackson Heights).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,318,488 times
Reputation: 88
Yeah that's true Corona was bad. I didn't know that much about Corona though. Thanks for the input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 14,703,891 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis_Island View Post
Yeah that's true Corona was bad. I didn't know that much about Corona though. Thanks for the input!
Harlem and Washington heights
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Seoul
11,584 posts, read 8,560,272 times
Reputation: 4644
When I lived in the Heights in mid-2000's, my neighbors told me how much it has gotten better since the 80's and 90's. Back then, thugs would frequently climb the fire escapes and rob people on the high floors of the apartment buildings. They also claim that they wouldn't dare go to the park on a weekend after dark. So yeah, I'm guessing it was pretty bad
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,318,488 times
Reputation: 88
Washington heights was very bad. It has gotten a lot better thankfully
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,522,586 times
Reputation: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis_Island View Post
For brooklyn I'd say either ENY or Bed Stuy. For Bronx I'd say Mott haven. Even though Hunts Point was probably the worst neighborhood of all time during the 1970s. During the early 1970s hunts point average 120 to 130 murders a year. And they had a population of about 20,000. For queens I'd say Jamaica. For Manhattan I'd say Harlem or Washington Heights. Idk about Staten Island, but it would probably be Stapleton.
The 4-1 which covered HP never registered that many homicides. The 4-8 held that honor once because of the Happy Land fire which killed 87 innocent people mostly Honduran. I would say Mott Haven 4-0Pct, Highbridge 4-4Pct, and Morris Heights 4-6 Pct were the 3 busiest and worst areas in the Boogie Down.

In Bklyn East NY, Brownsville, and yes Crown heights were the 3 worst. 7-5, 7-3, and 7-7. Bklyn North as a whole were always the leaders in Homicides with the 7-5 being #1.

In Manh. washington Heights was a war zone. 3-4 was so busy that they split the Pct into 2 forming the 3-3. The 3-2 which is considered Black harlem was also very dangerous. The 3-0 which covered Sugar Hill was the cocaine capital.

In Queens 103 where fat cat Nicholls and Pappy Mason ordered the execution of Officer Eddie Byrnes as he guarded a witness. The 113 was also mired in Crime. Not sure which Pct has the Baisly Houses. Also the 101 Pct which covers Far Rockaway was and still is a hot spot for crime.

SI has the one area in the 120 Pct. The funny thing with crack people would come to their car and find it on blocks or bunch of wires because the radio was missing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Red Hook Brooklyn-winter Derby Line Vermont-summer
281 posts, read 1,193,376 times
Reputation: 162
75 pct-ENY had to be the worst followed by Brownsville and in 3rd place-Bed-Stuy. But the 7-5 covers so much ground they just could not get a handle on it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM
 
398 posts, read 1,318,488 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
The 4-1 which covered HP never registered that many homicides. The 4-8 held that honor once because of the Happy Land fire which killed 87 innocent people mostly Honduran. I would say Mott Haven 4-0Pct, Highbridge 4-4Pct, and Morris Heights 4-6 Pct were the 3 busiest and worst areas in the Boogie Down.

In Bklyn East NY, Brownsville, and yes Crown heights were the 3 worst. 7-5, 7-3, and 7-7. Bklyn North as a whole were always the leaders in Homicides with the 7-5 being #1.

In Manh. washington Heights was a war zone. 3-4 was so busy that they split the Pct into 2 forming the 3-3. The 3-2 which is considered Black harlem was also very dangerous. The 3-0 which covered Sugar Hill was the cocaine capital.

In Queens 103 where fat cat Nicholls and Pappy Mason ordered the execution of Officer Eddie Byrnes as he guarded a witness. The 113 was also mired in Crime. Not sure which Pct has the Baisly Houses. Also the 101 Pct which covers Far Rockaway was and still is a hot spot for crime.

SI has the one area in the 120 Pct. The funny thing with crack people would come to their car and find it on blocks or bunch of wires because the radio was missing.
Great information thank you. I saw it said that about hunts point in the early 1970s somewhere online and it said it on someone's bio on TV who was from there on the bio channel. But during the crack epidemic, would you say the bronx was worse than it was in the 1970s or maybe slightly better.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top