Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 AM

620 posts, read 1,069,750 times

Advertisements

I have walked around Bushwick several times and with summer coming would like to do some more.

I dont know why I find it so cool. The taquerias, mix of diffrent Latino and black populations, the gritiness, the food !!!

I AM NOT A HIPSTER and dont care for ANYTHING hipster related in Bushwick. I am speaking of the original bushwick here.

it seems this is the next ground for hipster so I would look to get a good feel for the area before it completly changes .

Any places i would find interesting or that you find cool ?? I got the food spots covered as I speak spanish and know what I like....

Any suggestions ?? Or tips ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times
ForgottenTour 41, Bushwick, Brooklyn | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,680,909 times
G-Dale thanks for the link.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 AM

There is also a Four part Myrtle ave tour from Fort Greene to Richmond Hill with part 2 going through Bushwick.

MYRTLE AVENUE, Part 2: under the el in Bushwick | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,680,909 times
Myrtle through FT Greene is totally different now than 15 years ago. Wine and cheese stores.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,795,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I have walked around Bushwick several times and with summer coming would like to do some more.

I dont know why I find it so cool. The taquerias, mix of diffrent Latino and black populations, the gritiness, the food !!!

I AM NOT A HIPSTER and dont care for ANYTHING hipster related in Bushwick. I am speaking of the original bushwick here.

it seems this is the next ground for hipster so I would look to get a good feel for the area before it completly changes .

Any places i would find interesting or that you find cool ?? I got the food spots covered as I speak spanish and know what I like....

Any suggestions ?? Or tips ?
You say you're not a hipster but you talk like them... Either that or a real-estate agent... Take off the rose-colored glasses and even observe the supposed "hipster enclave" along the Jefferson stop which is the actual beginning of Bushwick... Not Morgan... You'll realize that while there is a strong pop. of hipsters there, it won't be the dramatic scene you are expecting... Pretty much all of Bushwick other than the area that was never hood to begin with which is Wyckoff Heights is still the hood... Is it what it was 10 years ago? No... But nowhere in the city is, even Brownsville, East NY or Far Rock... Knickerbocker from DeKalb down to Bleecker has a ton of Hispanic eateries and basically anything from Knickerbocker down to Broadway will have what you're looking for... I don't know where the exaggerations come from... I swear people act like they've never seen a white face before... It's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard... These folks that you claim are taking over the neighborhood majority of the time are transient and only last a few months before they either realize 1 of 3 things... 1) Bushwick will NEVER be Williamsburg 2) It's too freaking expensive 3) It's not worth it for the QOL and crime...

Due to fabricated real-estate hype... There are idiots renting studios for 2000 in Bushwick like it's Northside... With those kind of exaggerated prices, how can you expect any legitimate changes to be made... There's a ton of rent-stabilized and section 8 apartments so it's not like those folks are going anywhere... The only people trying to move in are either Mexicans/Ecuadorians or Hipsters and at that cost, the chances of change will continue to be small...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You say you're not a hipster but you talk like them... Either that or a real-estate agent... Take off the rose-colored glasses and even observe the supposed "hipster enclave" along the Jefferson stop which is the actual beginning of Bushwick... Not Morgan... You'll realize that while there is a strong pop. of hipsters there, it won't be the dramatic scene you are expecting... Pretty much all of Bushwick other than the area that was never hood to begin with which is Wyckoff Heights is still the hood... Is it what it was 10 years ago? No... But nowhere in the city is, even Brownsville, East NY or Far Rock... Knickerbocker from DeKalb down to Bleecker has a ton of Hispanic eateries and basically anything from Knickerbocker down to Broadway will have what you're looking for... I don't know where the exaggerations come from... I swear people act like they've never seen a white face before... It's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard... These folks that you claim are taking over the neighborhood majority of the time are transient and only last a few months before they either realize 1 of 3 things... 1) Bushwick will NEVER be Williamsburg 2) It's too freaking expensive 3) It's not worth it for the QOL and crime...

Due to fabricated real-estate hype... There are idiots renting studios for 2000 in Bushwick like it's Northside... With those kind of exaggerated prices, how can you expect any legitimate changes to be made... There's a ton of rent-stabilized and section 8 apartments so it's not like those folks are going anywhere... The only people trying to move in are either Mexicans/Ecuadorians or Hipsters and at that cost, the chances of change will continue to be small...
Dude just wants to walk around and explore. Maybe spend some money while their at it. No need to attack. While I agree there is no rush to check it out now because it will likely be in its current state for some time to come, think people living there in the '60s thought change would come so quickly?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,795,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Dude just wants to walk around and explore. Maybe spend some money while their at it. No need to attack. While I agree there is no rush to check it out now because it will likely be in its current state for some time to come, think people living there in the '60s thought change would come so quickly?
That change happened because those folks decided to abandon ship completely and leave the area to the thugs and ghetto trash that began to take over the neighborhood late 60s... You couldn't blink your eyes fast enough before another for sale sign was up... That isn't the case here... Most of the people you see in this neighborhood aren't going anywhere unless some ridiculously shady practices start to happen... Otherwise, the neighborhood will remain as is for the foreseeable future...

My post wasn't meant to be an attack but rather a wake up call not just to the OP but to everyone who speaks what they believe to be facts without doing any legitimate fact-checking whatsoever... 80% of what you see discussed as Bushwick online is not Bushwick... An even higher percentage of supposed facts discussing Bushwick's changing scene are fabricated as well... All you have to do before posting an idiotic thread like this one is look up what is Community Board 4 in Brooklyn where the borders end on each side and go take a look at the changes yourself... In 2013, you really can't look online anymore for factual information other than going by the latest census which took place in 2010 or other legitimate city websites such as this one or nyc.gov... With the amount of hyperbole spoken online about any number of areas in this city to be found online... your best bet is to go and observe for yourself...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.69574...,67.33,,0,8.41

If on Knickerbocker, it is worth checking out this mural. Shows the history of Bushwick back to the brewery days.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That change happened because those folks decided to abandon ship completely and leave the area to the thugs and ghetto trash that began to take over the neighborhood late 60s... You couldn't blink your eyes fast enough before another for sale sign was up... That isn't the case here... Most of the people you see in this neighborhood aren't going anywhere unless some ridiculously shady practices start to happen... Otherwise, the neighborhood will remain as is for the foreseeable future...

My post wasn't meant to be an attack but rather a wake up call not just to the OP but to everyone who speaks what they believe to be facts without doing any legitimate fact-checking whatsoever... 80% of what you see discussed as Bushwick online is not Bushwick... An even higher percentage of supposed facts discussing Bushwick's changing scene are fabricated as well... All you have to do before posting an idiotic thread like this one is look up what is Community Board 4 in Brooklyn where the borders end on each side and go take a look at the changes yourself... In 2013, you really can't look online anymore for factual information other than going by the latest census which took place in 2010 or other legitimate city websites such as this one or nyc.gov... With the amount of hyperbole spoken online about any number of areas in this city to be found online... your best bet is to go and observe for yourself...
I take it you won't be taking part in this years Bushwick Open Studios. I know you're going to rip it apart, but take a look at the map to see how many participants are now south of Flushing ave.

Directory | Bushwick Open Studios 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City