Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM

30 posts, read 87,486 times

Advertisements

So what's the building/company so others moving to this area know to do more research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwm23 View Post
So what's the building/company so others moving to this area know to do more research?
Does the OP's failure to provide this basic info, make you suspect the legitimacy of this thread?

Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 AM

20 posts, read 26,360 times
The building is the Moderator cut: naming the building and management company here is a consumer complaint. We are not the forum for consumer complaints.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: No names please as it opens up consumer complaints issues

Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
So it's a developer who runs its own leasing office. I would sue them in small claims for the max $5,000 and do the work yourself to avoid legal fees. Then I would make up for the security deposit by not paying the 2nd & 3rd last months- assuming you have already handed over last month.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
I also agree with this. Make sure you find an attorney who knows what they are doing or you may never be able to rent anywhere in Manhattan again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
No offense, but - DO NOT engage an attorney for a New York landlord/tenant case who does not embrace this as his/her life's work.
Moreover, the person should have extensive housing court experience. This brings contacts along with expertise.
I would hesitate to stop paying rent or go to court until I secured another apt. These days landlords check court records and any history between landlord/tenant is enough to make them not rent to you. Sorry but it's the truth.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBilko View Post
Bump - any other suggestions on how to handle this so I'm not out of pocket? How long does it actually take to evict someone in NYC for non payment?
Do any of the repairs you've made meet the guidelines I linked in my previous post? If so, you can deduct it from your rent- provide receipts.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Steve,

Why ANYONE would rent an apartment sight unseen is beyond me?
Even from across the country, I would take a day or two off to fly in and out and see what I am getting into.

Nobody can be too busy to ignore what could become a yearlong scenario of horror.

Forget court...no judge will award pain and suffering or even lost wages in a case like this and what you get, if anything, will not cover your legal costs. And the first thing the judge will ask will be the same question I asked: "Why would anyone rent an apartment without seeing it?"

So, armed with your many pictures, just start looking for another place...run out your two months security withholding rent. Alternatively, if you have fixed up the place to your liking, stay and live in peace, forgetting the money.
And your neighbors are right...the landord will steal your security deposit. It's in the Handbook on How To Be A NYC Landord, first chapter. Renters should realize this when they move in. If you decide to stay til lease end, just withhold the last 2 months rent to cover your security deposit...otherwise you will not see it.

You have learned an expensive lesson.

Too bad we cannot get the name of this building. Public scrutiny is the only way these thieves clean up their act. Your broker seems a bit of a schytte too.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-26-2013 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Steve,

Why ANYONE would rent an apartment sight unseen is beyond me?
Even from across the country, I would take a day or two off to fly in and out and see what I am getting into.

Nobody can be too busy to ignore what could become a yearlong scenario of horror.

Forget court...no judge will award pain and suffering or even lost wages in a case like this and what you get, if anything, will not cover your legal costs. And the first thing the judge will ask will be the same question I asked: "Why would anyone rent an apartment without seeing it?"

So, armed with your many pictures, just start looking for another place...run out your two months security withholding rent. Alternatively, if you have fixed up the place to your liking, stay and live in peace, forgetting the money.
And your neighbors are right...the landord will steal your security deposit. It's in the Handbook on How To Be A NYC Landord, first chapter. Renters should realize this when they move in. If you decide to stay til lease end, just withhold the last 2 months rent to cover your security deposit...otherwise you will not see it.

You have learned an expensive lesson.

Too bad we cannot get the name of this building. Public scrutiny is the only way these thieves clean up their act. Your broker seems a bit of a schytte too.
KK google "human feces in the apt hell's kitchen" you will see a yelp review.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Thanks, living single,

My God, that's a brand new tower!!! I believe it was on the 80/20 listing a while ago?

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
If it is the 37st apt that sucks but now it makes sense to me why so many people i had looking from places were moving out of there and some didnt want to mention exactly why other than terrible experience from day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City