Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

This is why I cringe when people hand out money to bums and so-called "street performers" on the subway. When I grew up in the woods upstate, the first thing I learned is that you don't leave out food because it attracts critters. Likewise, why don't people understand that in NYC when you hand out money to street people, you only attact more of them and their antics? And then, like the animals upstate, once they get used to your handouts, they become entitled and then can turn around and attack you when you least expect it, not so cute and cuddly anymore. Citizens of NYC, please quit falling over yourselves in handing out money to bums. You think you are helping, but you are really enabling.

3 Subway Performers Sought in Straphanger Attack | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
They probably live in Harlem somewhere, often get on at 125th - I have seen the kid with the shorts many times.

The normal people are really, really tired of the little brats and I don't understand why the police do not crack down once and for all.

I don't like the new Eastern European "mothers" begging either, dragging along infants.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
I don't like the new Eastern European "mothers" begging either, dragging along infants.

Agreed. Sickening. If I see them again, I will be very tempted to call the cops and CPS.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I don't think they live in Harlem because you see them get on 125th...they simply get on and off at that station as well as 14th...it's a circle. They come from all across the city. I don't even look at these people...and maybe now that they attacked someone..the cops will actually enforce the law? I won't hold my breath.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM

338 posts, read 677,146 times
I really, really wish they would. I detest these losers and just cringe when I see them loudly gathering on the platform, preparing yet another assault on the ears of a captive audience (I will switch cars if I see them) and begging for money. IZZ SHOWTIME, SHOWTIME--ugh. No one wants to hear that noise or watch your fumbling attempts to dance.

Guiliani cracked down on the squeegee kids--these losers are just as bad. Get rid of them.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think they live in Harlem because you see them get on 125th...they simply get on and off at that station as well as 14th...it's a circle. They come from all across the city. I don't even look at these people...and maybe now that they attacked someone..the cops will actually enforce the law? I won't hold my breath.
I remembered - there is a woman I vaguely know from the area who was talking to one of them, one day.
Still, you are probably right, they could be from anywhere. There are a bunch of drug rehab day centers right near the southmost entrance to that station. We usually avoid waiting or getting on at that place of the platform. These attract all sorts of people from many areas.

I know this seems like annoying whining but I had to get up from my seat one day, and then stand, to get out of their way. They are also very aggressive about asking for money. There was a rant one day from another anti-social, a passenger, "Every time a BLACK man try to do something good they on him !" It was in response to someone's negative reaction. I thought, WOW.

I have the sense that they are of the same mind-sets as the dirt bike riders. Defiance. I understand the rage they are expressing but they themselves do not understand it or what to do in terms of productive responses.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
The Eastern European "mothers" are probably gypsies. They do nothing but live to beg. These characters appear to be everywhere, popping up at random. It's a quality of life issue that needs to be addressed.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
The Eastern European "mothers" are probably gypsies. They do nothing but live to beg. These characters appear to be everywhere, popping up at random. It's a quality of life issue that needs to be addressed.
I agree that there is some sort of scam (if you are implying that ?). I don't know where they get the babies, but I have never had the sense that the adults are the actual mothers.

I don't agree that quality-of-life is the most important issue. For me that would be the children, who should not be included in such an act, and whose living conditions broadly speaking should be investigated - immediately.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
"Excuse me ladies and gentlemen"..... I hear that daily on the Broadway Junction. A forceful show it is, some even have the nerve to tell passengers if they don't want to see the show, go to the next train-car. Hopefully they will locate these guys.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
I've seen those jokers many a time. They're mouthy as hell and work the subways on the east river tunnel crossing, back and forth, which probably means they live in the Queensbridge projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City