Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 AM

19 posts, read 197,006 times

Advertisements

Hello,
In the next year I'm going to New York during summer holidays to pick up some kind of a summer job. I've never been to the USA before and I'd like to know what do you think and what have you heard about Hunters Point neighbourhood of Queens. I mean safety, affordability, people, communication with Manhattan, accomodation. I'd be grateful for any helpful replies and I'd appreciate any advice and warnings. Thanks and have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,995 times
Hunters Point is very close to Midtown Manhattan, one subway stop from Grand Central, right across the river. However the 7 train tends to get very crowded in the morning. The area is safe. It is still somewhat underdeveloped in terms of amentities. So far there is only one supermarket, C-Town, but next year the Amish Market is supposed to move in. In terms of rents it's not as affordable as it used to be, it's almost catching up with Manhattan.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
This is part of Long Island City. You might want to do a search for that instead of Hunters Point. There may be more info available.

Long Island City is an industrial/residential neighborhood that is in Queens but right next to Manhattan. Because of its industrial nature, it doesn't have some of the residential amenities you might expect. However, because of its proximity to Manhattan, in the past few years there's been a huge influx of condos (expensive) going up. The amenities are beginning to follow.

I take the train to Manhattn from further out in Queens and when the train hits any stops in LIC, I always notice more white faces and suits getting on.

I don't think you'll have much trouble there, but if I were an out of town visitor only in the city for a few months I would rather be in a more residential neighborhood like Greenpoint - close to LIC and probably in the same price range.

Do you already have accommodation lined up or a friend who already lives there? In that case, it will probably be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City