Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM

141 posts, read 184,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You don't need to experience something yourself to be proven wrong. That doesnt make sense. Are you saying that you're right on any topic up until you find out otherwise, but only on your own?
negative. if a person has kids, never owns a car, and the kids grow up to be decent members of society who are fairly satisfied (not complacent since complacency can be unhealthy), that person is an example of somebody who proves you all wrong. I am not applying this logic to any situation (body parts? really?), only the subject of cars and car ownership in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You have to lug around all that stuff, and there is a finite amount of time between when they need naps or a real meal and when the kids start being a public menace to society.
assuming that even happens during the trip in question. take note: I am not saying it does not happen at all. I know it does.

also if a baby is crying really loudly while someone is driving, that could compromise the driver's concentration and increase the chances of an accident. take note: I am not saying anybody is wrong for driving with a baby (crying or not) in the car.

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 05-28-2013 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: baby crying, more details about "assuming..."

Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
OP doesn't understand NYC consists of all 5 boroughs and not just Manhattan/Brooklyn.
admittedly I am speaking from the point of view of somebody who really wants to do something about the problems cars cause for frequent bus lines whose performance would be helped by de-congesting various roads (by making it easier for commercial trucks to do their business and killing off double-parking on roads where buses run). but that does not mean "OP doesn't understand NYC consists of all 5 boroughs and not just Manhattan/Brooklyn." OP most certainly understands NYC consists of all 5 boroughs and not just Manhattan/Brooklyn because OP lives in the Bronx and 3/4 of a mile from the nearest subway line.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I happen to own a car but I'm not adding to the traffic problem because I rarely drive into Manhattan.
it was not just about traffic in Manhattan.

Quote:
I also NEVER double park or block buses. I don't do this because I don't value my own convenience over everyone else who happens to use the road. The people who double park and block traffic do.
if that is the case, thank you for being considerate. too bad not everybody is like that and the government does almost nothing about these issues.

Quote:
But so do the people who J walk in front of oncoming traffic and bikers who run red lights.
this is true. but motor vehicles still cause more problems than cyclists and pedestrians. especially more than pedestrians.

Quote:
it is about how selfish you are as a person.
the government would have an easier time erecting physical barriers like plastic bollards and creating more loading zones for commercial vehicles than asking everybody not to be selfish.

take note: I am not ignoring the fact that scofflaw cyclists also cause problems.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM

also cee4, I never said anybody who absolutely needs their car should dump their car. I acknowledged that various people in this thread need their cars, but the arguments we have been having have not been about whether they specifically need their cars; the arguments have been about anonymous persons, each of which has his/her own situation, needs, and whatnot.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,520,840 times
I live in DUMBO (which has great mass transportation), but I own 2 cars because I can. God bless America!

You tree hugging liberals will have to pry my car keys from my cold dead hands.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 AM

589 posts, read 1,216,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
also cee4, I never said anybody who absolutely needs their car should dump their car. I acknowledged that various people in this thread need their cars, but the arguments we have been having have not been about whether they specifically need their cars; the arguments have been about anonymous persons, each of which has his/her own situation, needs, and whatnot.
Cars are necessary because the subway/bus are not reliable enough or frequent enough in all 5 boroughs.

How long do you think it would take someone from lets say whitestone, queens to get to sheepshead bay in brooklyn?

There is no direct route unless you have a car. A car protects you from the elements and a car keeps you clean.

What they need to do is raise the bar on getting a drivers license because right now the amount of idiot drivers in SUVS are way too high.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM

5,186 posts, read 4,639,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
admittedly I am speaking from the point of view of somebody who really wants to do something about the problems cars cause for frequent bus lines whose performance would be helped by de-congesting various roads (by making it easier for commercial trucks to do their business and killing off double-parking on roads where buses run). but that does not mean "OP doesn't understand NYC consists of all 5 boroughs and not just Manhattan/Brooklyn." OP most certainly understands NYC consists of all 5 boroughs and not just Manhattan/Brooklyn because OP lives in the Bronx and 3/4 of a mile from the nearest subway line.
Have you read "Brave New World"? The problem you are really trying to solve is the freedom of choice. Ah, if only people can be denied the freedom of choice for the sake of efficiency. How about a totally novel approach to traffic problems? Let's build residential units for everywhere we have office blocks. And where ever you end up working, you and your family will be moved to a nearby residential unit. Traffic problem solved!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,365,191 times
^ exactly. make him live at his job lol.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Have you read "Brave New World"?
affirmative.

Quote:
Let's build residential units for everywhere we have office blocks. And where ever you end up working, you and your family will be moved to a nearby residential unit. Traffic problem solved!
I have 2 questions for you:

1. do you believe in that idea? (I do not.)

2. do you have any other ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City