Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 PM

141 posts, read 185,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Don't worry you will never work for the DOT or MTA to make any decisions regarding traffic conditions.
as if I have to work for them to accomplish that. working for them would probably make it harder to accomplish that.

Quote:
You can be happy not owning a car but the rest of NYC will not care lol.
ok, but I never stated it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I also wish gas was like 8 dollars a gallon so less idiot drivers to contend with, but then the economy would collapse.
It's been my experience that the people who can afford $8/gallon gas are generally the biggest idiots on the road

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's been my experience that the people who can afford $8/gallon gas are generally the biggest idiots on the road
Idiot drivers exist in all socioeconomic classes. Its just more obvious when an idiot driver is driving a luxury car.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
as if I have to work for them to accomplish that. working for them would probably make it harder to accomplish that.

ok, but I never stated it would.
Good luck advocating change without having anyone in DOT in your pocket. I can refer you to Councilman Vacca if you like and you can tell him your reasons. He lives in your borough too.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
I just checked out a Honda Accord from Zipcar...$12/hour or $84/day is the base rate. I'm going away for a week that's $588 for just that one trip. Maybe less than one month's expenses in Manhattan but I don't live there and I don't spend that much on my car. These ideas are great but don't work for everyone. We can definitely reduce the amount we drive but to insist that everyone can get along without a car is a lie.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
I live in West Harlem (Hamilton Heights) and work in Newark, NJ. Doing the reverse commute, it's only about a half hour drive, and parking isn't too terrible in my neighborhood. If I come home in the afternoon, I can often get a spot right in front of my building.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
In terms of current plans to reduce cars on the road by making car ownership more expensive and congestion pricing, you are just squeezing the little guy and making this city even more of a playground for the super rich. If you want a fair way to reduce cars on the road, institute a lottery system for car ownership. Set up a fixed number of car permits like taxi permits and issue them out by lottery to city residents.
Is this city even a part of America anymore?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I just checked out a Honda Accord from Zipcar...$12/hour or $84/day is the base rate. I'm going away for a week that's $588 for just that one trip. Maybe less than one month's expenses in Manhattan but I don't live there and I don't spend that much on my car. These ideas are great but don't work for everyone. We can definitely reduce the amount we drive but to insist that everyone can get along without a car is a lie.
You could have rented a car with a traditional rental company for much less. $588 is easily 2 months of my expenses on both of my cars combined.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM

141 posts, read 185,682 times
Quote:
Good luck advocating change without having anyone in DOT in your pocket. I can refer you to Councilman Vacca if you like and you can tell him your reasons. He lives in your borough too.
can you please do this. please send a message with details. or ask me to send you one with whatever details you want.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
can you please do this. please send a message with details. or ask me to send you one with whatever details you want.
212-788-7375

District 13 - Council Member - Democrat

Schedule an appointment. He meets in person open door policy. He does not like bull**** and will openly tell you if he thinks you are out of your mind lol.

Btw he drives from Bronx to Queens College to teach his course. Just a tidbit on what he probably thinks on cars regarding outerborough transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City