Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

public transportation can be a downer
to your qol. It's dirty and too many
people take it, so a lot of people are
not down with that at all. therefore,
they drive instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Daily News Columnist Joshua Greenman Has Just Had It With All the Car Hate:
New Yorkers can like bikes, including Citi Bike, without having disdain for the automobiles that share the road* - NY Daily News

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
was it you or somebody else who mentioned that a car keeps a person dry?

speed, yes, most of the time. comfort, yes, most of the time. how are they better in the carrying capacity and safety departments? have you forgotten how many car accidents happen every day and how many terrible drivers there are on the roads?

you make it seem like only a small part of the city can be handled by mass transit, which is not true. only during rush hours is not true either.

in most cases, yes.

round 10 tomorrow if you have anything left.
You mentioned the drying of clothes with your ridiculous scenario earlier.

Tell me how much one person can carry with them on public transit vs a car? Pretty sure a car wins here.

Safety is relative to the driver. Good drivers are safer on the road then dealing with a bunch of unknown variables outside of their control in public transit or the vulnerability of being on a bicycle.

With a car I don't have to wait on MTA schedules to get anywhere. I can just hop in my car and drive. Public transit may be faster for a direct route to Manhattan but that is dependent on the hourly schedule of LIRR. Every other area in the 5 boroughs would be faster with a car.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post

Tell me how much one person can carry with them on public transit vs a car? Pretty sure a car wins here.

Safety is relative to the driver. Good drivers are safer on the road then dealing with a bunch of unknown variables outside of their control in public transit or the vulnerability of being on a bicycle.

With a car I don't have to wait on MTA schedules to get anywhere. I can just hop in my car and drive. Public transit may be faster for a direct route to Manhattan but that is dependent on the hourly schedule of LIRR. Every other area in the 5 boroughs would be faster with a car.

and also, Manhattan is NOT the center of everyone's universe.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Quite the contrary. Cars by their very nature offer much more freedom than public trans. There are very few places in NYC where it would be significantly faster to travel there by bus/subway versus driving. Unless there's a 10 car accident on the LIE or it's the height of rush hour, I can get to Times Square from Jamaica, Queens in 30-40 minutes. Subway would take at least an 1hr 20 mins. Also being a slave to the MTA schedule gets old quick and is not freedom in the slightest.
Jamaica to Times Sq. How many New Yorkers take that commute again? Most New Yorkers live in or near the core where PT is the quickest way to get around. There is also a price difference. Would you pay a high price to park, when it takes you 15-30 minutes to get to all the major destinations in Manhattan via subway? If you look for free parking, you might as well add 10-15 minutes to your drive off the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Few people want to eliminate automobiles from the city at this time. However, a lot of our politicians fail when it comes to aggressive pedestrian friendly policy that would make car free living even easier and more pleasant. Why is the Sheridan still an expressway? Why haven't we implemented true BRT? Where are the speed cameras?

Perfect example recently, a senator advising the DOT on slowing down a plan to implement SBS on 125th St. Gotta be kidding me. How about Daily News/Post newspapers and their anti plaza rants (and every time the plazas proved popular)? How about freaking out against congestion pricing, even when the vast majority of New Yorkers wouldn't be adversely effected.

Most New Yorkers don't drive. Even less drive on a regular basis. The city could do a lot more to get people moving by unleashing radical changes on our streets.

I would also argue it's the auto lobby that b!itches the most. CitiBike got a lot of negative press, mostly from the tabloids but otherwise was scene as a bad thing. IMO, every dock should be located on a parking spot where possible. CitiBike only eliminated less than 10% of parking in Manhattan. Free parking should be eliminated in Manhattan and streets are not just made for automobiles.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 06-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: neighborhoo

Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
The simplest reason I can give is; because I can.

-I like to go on road trips.
For example, I've done NYC to Key west, FL in 2 weeks stopping in every little town on the way. I drove up to Toronto, Montreal and west to Chicago as well.

-I have friends in NJ, PA and I don't want to deal with public transportation when going there.

-I like to go out to the beach with a big cooler, and have a few friends. It's way faster and more comfortable than going by train.

-Wifey sometimes has to travel to CT and NJ, and taking PT is just not as convinient or fast.

-I go shopping to IKEA, Costco, etc... and you need a car to go to those places.

Having a car in NY is not cheap or easy, but it's convinient if you need it for specific purposes like the ones listed above.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
JI would also argue it's the auto lobby that b!itches the most. CitiBike got a lot of negative press, mostly from the tabloids but otherwise was scene as a bad thing. IMO, every dock should be located on a parking spot where possible. CitiBike only eliminated less than 10% of parking in Manhattan. Free parking should be eliminated in Manhattan and streets are not just made for automobiles.
That's punitive, and restrictive. Middle class NY will most likely shoulder the burden, although I don't you/we want that. South Bronx is also congested. When I drove this morning from CT to Manhattan, worst traffic was in the South Bronx and Huntspoint Ave.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:03 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That's punitive, and restrictive. Middle class NY will most likely shoulder the burden, although I don't you/we want that. South Bronx is also congested. When I drove this morning from CT to Manhattan, worst traffic was in the South Bronx and Huntspoint Ave.
Correction, Citi Bike eliminated less then 1% of parking. (Typo).

Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Citibike probably will take away livery and MTA business. I doubt it will affect drivers much.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 AM

141 posts, read 185,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
People are going to discuss things. This isn't a boxing match.
I never said they were not going to discuss things; I just do not want to spend too much time here, so I only reply once a day now. it was time-consuming to watch this thread all day for new replies.

I never said it was a boxing match either. rounds are not mentioned only in boxing matches. (these are not rounds as in rounds of beer either.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post

I would like you to find the post that said something about "a car keeps you clean and dry." those were not my words.

if you meant objects rather than other people, yes, the car probably wins and a pickup truck/minivan/SUV definitely does. the more people you have with you (to help carry stuff), the less of an advantage the car offers. anything that absolutely cannot go on mass transit must go in a private vehicle or moving truck, of course.

Safety is relative to the driver. Good drivers are safer on the road then dealing with a bunch of unknown variables outside of their control in public transit.

not in my experience. I am a good driver and I have had no accidents and always drive at or slightly below the speed limit (sometimes 1 or 2 miles over, maybe 5 over if I need to pass somebody) and obey all road regulations to a tee, but I have still managed to see and experience plenty of danger on the road.

that is your neighborhood.
round 11 tomorrow if you have anything left.

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 06-04-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City