U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM

917 posts, read 1,847,954 times

Advertisements

Don't think this was posted before.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What does it take to get a rent-controlled apartment in New York City?
For the 62-year-old sister of the mayor of Salt Lake City, it was a death-bed adoption by a senile 85-year-old man in order to claim rights to his Queens apartment and its $100-a-month rent.
Although Pamela Becker grew up in a privileged family — her actual father, the late Ralph Becker, was US ambassador to Honduras during the Ford administration — she has chosen a low-rent lifestyle in Long Island City. And she took a curious route to get there.
Married at the Waldorf-Astoria in 1976 and later divorced, Becker came to Long Island City in the 1990s. A cat-sitting gig brought her to a six-unit apartment building on 47th Road.
Angel Chevrestt
MOVIN’ IN: Nicholas DeTommaso adopted companion Pamela Becker weeks before he died, giving her dibs on his dirt-cheap Queens apartment (below).

Helayne Seidman

There, she met Nicholas “Uncle Nicky” DeTommaso, a retired dock worker and generous man who liked to keep his door open and cook for his neighbors.
DeTommaso was married for just six weeks in 1950 and had lived in the 47th Road building his whole life. Friends described him as a gregarious “Star Trek” fan.
Becker befriended him and would take him shopping. By 2002, she had moved into the two-bedroom railroad-flat apartment.
“She has a way of working on you until she gets what she wants,” according to a neighbor.
The onetime yoga instructor got DeTommaso to buy her a series of cars even though he did not drive, the neighbor said.
“I feel sorry for her; she doesn’t have anyone,” DeTommaso would tell his friends.
DeTomasso was ailing with dementia and possibly prostate cancer, according to a 2006 doctor’s note.
Becker managed to get a power of attorney for DeTommaso in 2007, meaning she could make financial and legal decisions for him.
Less than a month before DeTommaso died, Becker got the big prize: a new dad with deep pockets and piddling rent.
Her adoption was formalized on June 23, 2009, and she had already become the beneficiary of his life insurance and pension, records show.
Becker told The Post she took good care of DeTommaso as his health flagged, but denied he was senile.
“Some people said I should marry him. I didn’t want to marry him — that’s gross. I don’t do stuff like that,” Becker said from the flat where she lives with two dogs and a cat.
Becker said the other residents of the building have turned against her.
But her neighbors say she has created a nightmare situation, subleasing space to a series of transient tenants, sometimes throwing them out in the middle of the night.
“I can’t tell you how many times we’ve woken up to people screaming at the door, crying,” said Anjanie Narine, who lives across the hall.
The building’s owners, Sugrim and Kowsila Outar, an immigrant couple from Guyana, have tried for years to reclaim the pad from Becker.
When DeTommaso died, they thought the unit would be available and they could charge market-rate rent of $1,500 a month. They were shocked to learn Becker had been adopted by her elderly roommate and claimed she would “remain in this apartment for as long as I live.” She even changed her name to Maria DeTommaso.
She enlisted some high-powered help when she claimed one of her boarders was threatening her. She wrote to Mayor Bloomberg in 2012, said she was the sister of the Salt Lake City mayor and that she needed assistance to evict the man.
Neighbors say the boarder was arrested days later.
A spokesman for Bloomberg would not comment on whether the mayor’s officer intervened in the matter, saying any letter on a possible crime may have been forwarded to the NYPD.
Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker Jr. said through a spokesman that his sister has “some challenges” and had been estranged from the family for “quite some time.” He said he was unaware of her adoption.
But the “family ties” may have broken for Becker. The state Division of Housing and Community Renewal last month ruled she was not entitled to the apartment because she lived as a “family member” in the apartment for only 22 days before DeTommaso’s death.
“I’m legally adopted,” insisted Becker, who has refused to move out. “I’m going to win this battle.”

Link to the story. EXCLUSIVE: 62-year-old woman gets adopted by senile 85-year-old man to claim rights to his $100-a-month Queens apartment - NYPOST.com
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM

12,253 posts, read 23,138,606 times
Wow. Amazing how entitled and crazy people can be.

Also, I noticed that there is a small part of this story that reminds me of something I posted in the $100/week room thread.

Quote:
her neighbors say she has created a nightmare situation, subleasing space to a series of transient tenants, sometimes throwing them out in the middle of the night.
“I can’t tell you how many times we’ve woken up to people screaming at the door, crying,” said Anjanie Narine, who lives across the hall.
The building’s owners, Sugrim and Kowsila Outar, an immigrant couple from Guyana, have tried for years to reclaim the pad from Becker. When DeTommaso died, they thought the unit would be available and they could charge market-rate rent of $1,500 a month. They were shocked to learn Becker had been adopted by her elderly roommate and claimed she would “remain in this apartment for as long as I live.” She even changed her name to Maria DeTommaso.
She enlisted some high-powered help when she claimed one of her boarders was threatening her. She wrote to Mayor Bloomberg in 2012, said she was the sister of the Salt Lake City mayor and that she needed assistance to evict the man.
Neighbors say the boarder was arrested days later.
It's impossible to know what the real story is, but it's certainly possible that the "boarders" are renting short-term rooms and are being scammed. She claims they are threatening her and throws them out in the middle of the night. She gets the money and they get arrested.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 PM

4,912 posts, read 9,722,750 times
Good for her!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 PM

921 posts, read 2,036,995 times
If there is life after death, I think this woman will still be staying in the apartment. I feel sorry for the
landlord. Maybe that's how haunted houses are created.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM

917 posts, read 1,847,954 times
I know this city is expensive but she took advantage of that man. It's not fair to the landlord.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM

4,912 posts, read 9,722,750 times
Landlord schlamlord....
She knew how to work the system and got away with it.
Good for her!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:23 AM

25,543 posts, read 19,630,014 times
Good for her, but this is why they've made it that much harder to pass on rent controlled apartments to other people. She's ultimately lose on the fact that she was adopted only 22 days before a senile man died, a man who was not in his right mind to make such an adoption. So the adoption is illegitimate and a court will throw her out.

And after's she thrown out, with this pres she's gotten, her game and her number is up in NYC. See ya at the shelter, lady!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 AM

8,015 posts, read 10,024,590 times
It's not my business but the
landlord should be getting
his cut regardless,right?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,623,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Good for her
Bad for NYC's housing market.
Quote:
this is why they've made it that much harder to pass on rent controlled apartments to other people.
Which they should.
Quote:
She'(ll) ultimately lose on the fact that she was adopted only 22 days before a senile man died, a man who was not in his right mind to make such an adoption. So the adoption is illegitimate and a court will throw her out.
Who will have to spend the money, and take the time, to litigate? The landlord. Being NYC, it's hard to estimate his chances of success.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 PM

8,749 posts, read 16,692,967 times
This is a prime example of the dysfunction of NYC rent laws. If I were this LL I would take her to court and get the adoption thrown out since he was 'senile'. What do they have to lose at this point...they are stuck with her for the next 30+ years, and when she turns 90 she can adopt someone and this whole process will continue again for an additional 30+ years! All at $100 rents!!!!!!!

Ridiculous...and anyone that cheers the manipulation, abuse, and fraud perpetrated by this woman should really be ashamed of themselves. Cheating the system, what you described as "working it", is not something to cheer, and that's exactly what this woman did....she took his entire life savings, hijacked his apt from the LLs, and who knows what else we don't know about. I know what I would be doing if I were her neighbor....she would not want to be living there once I was through with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or