Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Seventh your right. It's a dying name.

Asians moving over there is a real phenomenon. I also see a a steady rising trickle coming into the Bronx, and I don't mean the Paki's and Bengali's in Parkchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I have been told East Harlem is Spanish Harlem and everything that is Spanish Harlem is East Harlem. Then I am told it's smaller than that. I am was told it's 116th to 106th and 5th to 1st?
Spanish harlem Aka El barrio is between E 96th Street to 119th street. Between 5th Ave and the FDR. 116th was the main drag where they always have the Pre PR party. Also the old Market is on 116th street and park Ave. Also every year the 3 kings parade marches N/B on 3rd Ave up to St Ceilia's on E 106th street between Park Ave and Lex ave. Actually that's the church where Macho Camacho the boxer was Buried.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Spanish harlem Aka El barrio is between E 96th Street to 119th street. Between 5th Ave and the FDR. 116th was the main drag where they always have the Pre PR party. Also the old Market is on 116th street and park Ave. Also every year the 3 kings parade marches N/B on 3rd Ave up to St Ceilia's on E 106th street between Park Ave and Lex ave. Actually that's the church where Macho Camacho the boxer was Buried.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Whoah. I just went on Google maps street view to see what El Barrio looks like today. There's a Duane Reade and a Bally Total Fitness on the corner of 106 and Third? WOW. OK, the Duane Reade isn't really that big of a surprise, but the BTF is. From what I remember in the 80s and 90s, everyone in that area was either chubbyfrito or crackorexic.

And I also remember when that Duane Reade/BTF was a Kress 5 & dime, and I think I also remember people calling it 'Kressco'. I think there was something else there after Kress closed, but I can't remember what it was.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Yeah, this sounds the most accurate.

I guess the term 'East Harlem' can be considered the general, geographic area (as Kefir King posted, "East Side of Manhattan North of 96th St."). 'Spanish Harlem' is El Barrio, specifically. Although, I think those 2 names are still used pretty interchangeably.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Seventh your right. It's a dying name.

Asians moving over there is a real phenomenon. I also see a a steady rising trickle coming into the Bronx, and I don't mean the Paki's and Bengali's in Parkchester.
Asians in East Harlem is not a new phenomenon.

Check out this website at your convenience Bengali Harlem | Exploring the Lost Histories of South Asian America http://facebook.com/bengaliharlem

This is a link to a website and soon to be documentary by some of the now adult children of mixed marriages of Muslim Bengali men to Black American, and Puerto Rican women. These men and women arrived in NYC from Bangladesh, the southern US and Puerto Rico in the late 1920's to early 1940's.

They showed the finished portion of the documentary "Dishwasher Dreams" and had a panel discussion with some of the adult children now in the age brackets of 45 - 65 years old at the Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture.

All the participants were mostly born and raised in East Harlem. The daughter of the owner of the now closed famed Salaam Bombay Restaurant in East Harlem was there and spoke of her experiences with customers like Miles Davis and Malcolm X and others that frequented the restaurant as well as the love story of her parents. One man born and raised in Detroit would come to NYC every summer as a teen to live with single male relatives and immerse in the NYC Bengali/Black/Puerto Rican culture of East Harlem.

This was interesting to me because one of my Aunts was married to a Muslim Bengali Man they both also came to NYC in the same period. They like these couples remained together until death parted them.

These decendants getting their until now untold story out there.

Also in my family in East Harlem another Aunt was married to a Japenese man, there is the untold story of Japenese immigrants in East Harlem and mixed marriages to Black and Puerto Rican women.
This is nothing new at all.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Asians in East Harlem is not a new phenomenon.

Check out this website at your convenience Bengali Harlem | Exploring the Lost Histories of South Asian America http://facebook.com/bengaliharlem

This is a link to a website and soon to be documentary by some of the now adult children of mixed marriages of Muslim Bengali men to Black American, and Puerto Rican women. These men and women arrived in NYC from Bangladesh, the southern US and Puerto Rico in the late 1920's to early 1940's.

They showed the finished portion of the documentary "Dishwasher Dreams" and had a panel discussion with some of the adult children now in the age brackets of 45 - 65 years old at the Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture.

All the participants were mostly born and raised in East Harlem. The daughter of the owner of the now closed famed Salaam Bombay Restaurant in East Harlem was there and spoke of her experiences with customers like Miles Davis and Malcolm X and others that frequented the restaurant as well as the love story of her parents. One man born and raised in Detroit would come to NYC every summer as a teen to live with single male relatives and immerse in the NYC Bengali/Black/Puerto Rican culture of East Harlem.

This was interesting to me because one of my Aunts was married to a Muslim Bengali Man they both also came to NYC in the same period. They like these couples remained together until death parted them.

These decendants getting their until now untold story out there.

Also in my family in East Harlem another Aunt was married to a Japenese man, there is the untold story of Japenese immigrants in East Harlem and mixed marriages to Black and Puerto Rican women.
This is nothing new at all.
Interesting indeed DAS. I was speaking more in regards to Chinese in Harlem as there #s are indeed on the rise in Harlem.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:25 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Yeah, this sounds the most accurate.

I guess the term 'East Harlem' can be considered the general, geographic area (as Kefir King posted, "East Side of Manhattan North of 96th St."). 'Spanish Harlem' is El Barrio, specifically. Although, I think those 2 names are still used pretty interchangeably.
One of the best Pernil which is roasted pig ever made on E 110th st. Casa Blanca Butcher. Louie, has a local old school Puerto Rican spot who slow roasts all day. I bought a few from him for my Pre Giant tailgate parties.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
You mean ChiHar?
That is the one block surrounding the 115th St. SZECHUAN PALACE.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I am actually interested in the influx of Chinese to East Harlem....maybe they're coming from Chinatown because they're getting priced out?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: