Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 AM

757 posts, read 1,098,480 times

Advertisements

I know we all have debates on what are the worst hoods in NYC today. But, i'm curious to know--since the city has gone through so many changes in the last 20 years--what you guys believe were the worst hoods during the 1990's??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,982,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I know we all have debates on what are the worst hoods in NYC today. But, i'm curious to know--since the city has gone through so many changes in the last 20 years--what you guys believe were the worst hoods during the 1990's??
Pretty much the same cast of characters as today.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
The hoods that nowadays have a lot of new governmentally assisted public housing. Melrose for example.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,834,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Pretty much the same cast of characters as today.
What he said, with the exception of a few areas that have vastly improved since then - the LES and Alphabet City, Hell's Kitchen, West Harlem, Central Harlem south of 125th, also some areas in Brooklyn and many areas of the South Bronx that still have some of the highest crime stats in the city, but have improved tremendously.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM

398 posts, read 1,384,818 times
The worst in the 90s specifically was East New York I guess. I don't know every neighborhoods stats so I can't say that definitively but I do know east New York had either 126 or 129 murders in 1993 and about 108 in 1990. They used to get numbers like that annually. Bed study too. Brownsville was really more known for robbery and theft. They still had a lot of murders though. They peaked at about 75 I think it was. A lot of Bronx nabes are up there. Washington Heights was terrible. Harlem is definitely up there. Maybe the worst of the crack epidemic. Specifically central and east harlem. Even though pretty much all of harlem was a gutter back then. Does anyone know the most amount of murders that occurred in LES in the 90s??

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
The worst in the 90s specifically was East New York I guess. I don't know every neighborhoods stats so I can't say that definitively but I do know east New York had either 126 or 129 murders in 1993 and about 108 in 1990. They used to get numbers like that annually. Bed study too. Brownsville was really more known for robbery and theft. They still had a lot of murders though. They peaked at about 75 I think it was. A lot of Bronx nabes are up there. Washington Heights was terrible. Harlem is definitely up there. Maybe the worst of the crack epidemic. Specifically central and east harlem. Even though pretty much all of harlem was a gutter back then. Does anyone know the most amount of murders that occurred in LES in the 90s??
LES by that time was already starting to get discovered but look at the combination of 5th, 7th and 9th precincts to get an idea of how that overall East Village/Chinatown/LES/Alphabet City area was back in the 90s... It was still bad but not on the level of other high crime hoods like the others you mentioned... Btw, in order to get an idea of how bad Bed-stuy was you have to combine the 79th and 81st precincts to see how many total murders Bed-stuy used to have back then... It was something like 140-150... And the reason why Brownsville's numbers were less than everybody else's was due to the fact that the precinct is much smaller than all the other ones... Same goes for precincts like the 23rd in Spanish Harlem and the 40th and 41st in the Bronx...

You can't always go by low murder numbers to gauge how the overall neighborhood was...

Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,088,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You can't always go by low murder numbers to gauge how the overall neighborhood was...
That's why they have the per capita stats available. The number of murders per 1,000 residents. (Or 100,000 residents or whatever it is).

Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,967,025 times
East New York and Brownsville is not a surprise. LOL.. Bushwick was even worst in those years, wasn't it the drug capital of NYC during that era ?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM

222 posts, read 710,594 times
I believe Red Hook was also bad at that time.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 AM

398 posts, read 1,384,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
LES by that time was already starting to get discovered but look at the combination of 5th, 7th and 9th precincts to get an idea of how that overall East Village/Chinatown/LES/Alphabet City area was back in the 90s... It was still bad but not on the level of other high crime hoods like the others you mentioned... Btw, in order to get an idea of how bad Bed-stuy was you have to combine the 79th and 81st precincts to see how many total murders Bed-stuy used to have back then... It was something like 140-150... And the reason why Brownsville's numbers were less than everybody else's was due to the fact that the precinct is much smaller than all the other ones... Same goes for precincts like the 23rd in Spanish Harlem and the 40th and 41st in the Bronx...

Ok I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: