Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

How do kids trick or treat in NYC? In LA, we go door to door, but all you have are condos and apartments in NYC. Do you just go floor to floor in your own building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
How do kids trick or treat in NYC? In LA, we go door to door, but all you have are condos and apartments in NYC. Do you just go floor to floor in your own building?
have you actually been to NYC?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
have you actually been to NYC?
Yeah. I know kids can trick or treat in Brooklyn, Staten Island, and a few other areas the same way as we do here, but is it possible on Manhattan?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
Yes, kids do trick-or-treating in Manhattan. It depends on the building, some buildings don't encourage it. What I've seen in several buildings is that people put a sign on their apartment door if they welcome trick-or-treaters. I like this because this way you don't disturb people who don't want to be disturbed or who forgot to buy candy. Kids usually meet up with their friends and go trick-or-treating in groups in each others buildings. Also some neighborhood businesses such as corner stores or gyms welcome trick-or-treaters.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
I live in the NW bronx and have lived in 6 story apt buildings. Trick or treaters and their parents always come into the bldg and go to every floor(probably taxes the patience of their parents!!). They also go to the private houes.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I was on Dyckman Street (Manhattan) late Halloween afternoon, and all the kids were trick-or-treating at the stores.

At the *stores*??? WTF ...

Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
I would never trick-or-treat in NYC. Probably get a razor blade in the candy or some drugs injected in it. I’m too old now, though.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I would never trick-or-treat in NYC. Probably get a razor blade in the candy or some drugs injected in it. I’m too old now, though.
Sure. All the people who have lived in my building for years and who chat to me on the elevator and in the laundry room suddenly turn into total wackos on Halloween and give out candy full of razors to all the kids with their parents standing next to them. I bet you never go to see a movie in NYC either because you know all the seats are full of infected needles.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah a lot of people go trick or treating at the local corner stores. Hardware stores, banks, pizza parlors, bars, they all give out candy. (Its actually pretty funny to see some mom bring her kids into the bar to get candy, but all the old guys drinking there seem to get a kick out of it).

My neighborhood is pretty suburban though, so there are lots of single family and multi-family houses that kids go to for candy. I surprisingly didn't get a single trick or treater in my apartment building this Halloween. I bought a big bag of candy and didn't hand out a single piece.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:07 PM

67 posts, read 225,828 times
I grew up in an apt building in NYC and went trick or treating in the building. We weren't allowed to go outside the building. And yes, ppl would have a sign on their door & I think there was a sign-up sheet in the elevator. You have to realize there are hundreds of apts in some buildings - it's equal to the number of families in someone elses's subdivision.

Now that I'm in brklyn, I see kids trik/treating house to house, and in stores.
That's my experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City