Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 AM

8 posts, read 19,714 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a freshman in college and I really have a hard time trying to figure out whether or not I may be able to afford to live in Brooklyn when I graduate . I live in Rockaway now and I can't take this place anymore . I used to live in Clinton Hill and since I was little, I've seen the gentrification and the rapid change of the neighborhood . I have this "30-minutes-or-less" saying that whatever neighborhood 30-minutes or less from Manhattan by train will be gentrified in the next five years . I was wondering if anyone thinks there will be any good, affordable, safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn in the next five years, especially for a teacher/professor ?

Last edited by solaeclipse; 05-31-2013 at 01:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 04:54 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
Define cheap.
The nice and cheap (by comparison) nabes have usually been the southern ones (Bensonhurst, Dyker, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay etc.). Granted they are not as cheap as they used to be (basic 2BR are are going for near 1500)

Old 05-31-2013, 05:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
"Cheap" SHOULD mean affordable to someone making below the median income for the area. "Reasonable" SHOULD mean affordable for someone making median income.
Anything else will, over the long term, become unsustainable.

Newton said it best: "What goes up will come down."

The entire area extending 30 minutes from Manhattan in all directions cannot become home for the rich...demographics simply do not work that way. And certainly not for an area where the real median income is decreasing.

There is a good reason why NOBODY can build anymore without offering 80/20 housing and getting the tax breaks. If things get back on an even keel we may soon see 70/30, 60/40, and 50/50 housing going up all over the city...presuming there is ever another building boom.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"Cheap" SHOULD mean affordable to someone making below the median income for the area. "Reasonable" SHOULD mean affordable for someone making median income.
Anything else will, over the long term, become unsustainable.

Newton said it best: "What goes up will come down."
Not sure about that.Rents in NYC have always been quite a bit above what one would consider affordable in terms of median incomes.Not saying it's healthy but it's the way it's always been.People have adapted by creating living arrangements where more than one income pays the rent...roommates,extended families,etc.

Something had to give but it hasn't been the rents.There was a free market adjustment to the situation but the adjustment came from the consumers.

Europeans and others from around the world are really just beginning to discover how incredibly cheap NYC is in comparison to other alpha cities so the pressure will increase.

NY'ers need to get over themselves with this 30 minute nonsense.That's what is unsustainable.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-31-2013 at 05:42 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

Not sure about that.Rents in NYC have always been quite a bit above what one
would consider affordable in terms of median incomes.
But the question posed was about a train ride 30 minutes outside Manhattan.
But just considering Manhattan, remember it has always included the poverty of alphabet city and the squalor of Harlem, the devastation of the Bronx, and welfare projects all over town.

This concept of even Manhattan for the rich has never held water, until they invented HGTV and Bush-Obama decided to decimate the dollar so that the world's rich could buy a place to hide when those at home come looking to remove their heads. Even this blip is temporary and assumes that NYC will always have a wealthy financial sector...it WON'T.

Somebody will always be needed to wipe the asses of the rich and to serve them their food and provide prostitution services...and these somebodies will not drive in from Pennsylvania for the privilege.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
But just considering Manhattan, remember it has always included the poverty of alphabet city and the squalor of Harlem, the devastation of the Bronx, and welfare projects all over town.

This concept of even Manhattan for the rich has never held water, until they invented HGTV and Bush-Obama decided to decimate the dollar so that the world's rich could buy a place to hide when those at home come looking to remove their heads. Even this blip is temporary and assumes that NYC will always have a wealthy financial sector...it WON'T.

Somebody will always be needed to wipe the asses of the rich and to serve them their food and provide prostitution services...and these somebodies will not drive in from Pennsylvania for the privilege.
I agree.They probably won't have cars anyway so there will definitely be no driving from Pennsylvania.More likely they will live in employer owned housing...as in servants quarters. The world is moving backwards and the whole concept of everyone having their own cars,houses and apartments was a luxury that was/is unsustainable.The rest of the world has shanty towns and favellas on the fringes for the workers who insist on hanging on to the notion of their freedom and independence.Probably where we are headed.We'll have a choice of living in a favella or in the middle of town in a tiny maid's room behind the kitchen.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-31-2013 at 06:15 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaeclipse View Post
I'm currently a freshman in college and I really have a hard time trying to figure out whether or not I may be able to afford to live in Brooklyn when I graduate . I live in Rockaway now and I can't take this place anymore . I used to live in Clinton Hill and since I was little, I've seen the gentrification and the rapid change of the neighborhood . I have this "30-minutes-or-less" saying that whatever neighborhood 30-minutes or less from Manhattan by train will be gentrified in the next five years . I was wondering if anyone thinks there will be any good, affordable, safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn in the next five years, especially for a teacher/professor ?
Forget Brooklyn I pose that question in all of NYC. Their was a time in NYC where there would be a scale. Poorer areas up to the Gold Coast along 5th Ave. Just heard the other day what someone was paying in Highbridge section of the Bronx which I was shocked. An avg walk up 5 story building.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:

You're guessing that the federal reserve bank of NY will eventually give way to the other regional banks of the federal reserve, but for now, as well as throughout US history, monetary policy has been primarily implemented from the NY branch. Haven't checked, but I don't think the other regions have close to the amount of assets as the NY branch, which is why the financial institutions reside here. I thought this blip had more to do with the need for shared resources, which bigger cities are better at providing. NYCs decline in the past had much to do with an extended period of nationwide expansion, with much of it being artificial.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
@ OP: you need to give us your own definition of "good and cheap." For many esteemed members here Brooklyn Heights could be cheap.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:21 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Although I think NYC has crested this wave, facts don't support the theory of NYC's unaffordability. We all cry middle class has left the City. Not sure why transplants wouldn't be characterized as middle class. Sure poverty numbers are up, but so are they nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: