Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:00 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972Impala View Post
1150 for a "large studio" your getting ripped off.
Per you I'm getting ripped (although for the same price in Brooklyn you get 200 sq feet rundown studios in pre-war buildings in places like Prospect Lefferts or East Flatbush).

Per the other poster, there's a reason the rent is so cheap.

Can't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Bedford Park is hit or miss. It has everything. Great Blocks, Good blocks, ok blocks, sketchy blocks etc. I don't think it has any dangerous blocks if we're talking north of Bedford Park blvd but it, like neighboring Norwood, has more than it's fair share of sketchy blocks. Definitely better than neighboring Fordham-Bedford.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:05 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Planning on signing a lease on Monday for a studio on E Moshulu Pkwy South.
My gf and I have been looking fora while but bang for the buck this was the best pick. $1150 for a large studio in a very well kept Co-op building. Same thing in Brooklyn would run $1250-$1300 easily for less square footage.
Gongratulations.Nice area in through there,close to Botanical Garden,metro north. I have a few friends who bought co ops around there 7 or 8 years ago and none of them have any regrets about it at all. Most of the co op buildings in the neighborhood are managed by Maxx and they have a very good rep. $1,150 for a studio is good for a nice co op building. You might have found something cheaper in a standard rental buiding but it likely wouldn't be as nice or peaceful.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:18 PM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
Welcome to the neighborhood. $1150 does seem high for a studio however. Maybe its because you got into a co-op building? I understand that rents have also gone up a bit since I looked last august also.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood. $1150 does seem high for a studio however. Maybe its because you got into a co-op building? I understand that rents have also gone up a bit since I looked last august also.
Truth is, I could've found one for as low as $1050 but in less well maintained buildings. I figured the extra $1200/year is well worth living in a clean, well maintained space and having repairs made promptly when needed.

I have friends who've had to patch their own ceilings or fix their own piping. I rather pay a bit extra to not have to worry about that. Compare to Brooklyn, this is still cheap.

Something like this in Brooklyn would easily run $1300.

The commute times into the city are awesome as well. From Bedford Park on the D, I got to 59th st in 30 min.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 PM

You got in at the best time. All of the trees have bloomed and the weather is nice. Mosholu parkway is beautiful in the spring/summer.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 PM

38 posts, read 83,795 times
I'd live at The Oregano, the building at 2800 Creston Ave, at the corner of E. 198th St, but according to my uncle who is NYPD on the BX Task Force, that ain't such a good building but I think it is so obscure I'd still live. Im told Fordham-Bedford by E 194 is an Impact zone and one of the worst spots for crime in the BX. Multiple cops I've talked to say that north of Bedford Park is OK, 196-199 is a grey area and below 196 is bedlam. Everyone I know who works or lives in the area, whether they are Lehman College staff, Transit Workers or Cops says that Mosholu Parkway is a great spot although sometimes stuff still goes down, just use street smarts. an $1150 studio is bound to be in a really beautiful building.

I left my car on Morris and 196 once to take the 4 into the city from KBR (kingsbridge road), retrieved it at 9pm, had no issues. but than again I drive a hoopdi that is stick shift and not a corolla or civic, not exactly a theifs prime target. , I wouldnt get off the D late at night below Bedford Park if I was a Woman and stay away from Villa Ave, you have no business on that street. The worst quality of life problems in the area are people smoking bud on the corner, people who dont curb their dogs and Dominicans (no offence to my Dominican homies, love their Cigars) who cant drive double parking their Hondas that have stickers on them that say silly things like YO AMO MI PAJON.

The area by the Woodlawn station is sketchy, especially by Dekalb, 212/213 but not bad bad like the South, South Bronx. Closer to the amalgamated buildings on Sedgwick you'll find more white families and young professionals. DeWitt Clinton HS is a rough school, sometimes the kids who go their commit petty crimes so be careful when school lets out but don't be too worried.

Dont ever go into Tracey Towers, and be prepared to never find parking. Nickys Luncheonette on 206 and Bainbridge is a great spot but beware of Rookie cops in the 52 who are a little to apt to give you BS tickets for silly things. be prepared to be a White Minority, but if your not racist you'll have no problems. Bedford Park Cafe is an OK diner, the osvaldo barber shop gives good fades, always be good to the guy at the Bedford Park newsstand and be careful crossing the concourse, it gets really busy.

Enjoy the area, its a good spot but dont go blowing it up and bringing in Brooklyn people.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 18,821 times
Agree with what Impala says. Area is safe unless you dont know where not to go and when.

i'll add:

the parkway is nice if youre looking for jogging or biking. only sketchy part is the underpass at night. I wouldn't do that stretch late. Up near Clinton and Tracey Towers it gets hectic with the traffic as well.

big pioneer supermarket over on webster. old dinner near the supermarket. pizza place roccos across the street. Irish bar which is old locals and FU students during school year.

I wouldn't go walking the streets south of bedford blvd. Especially after dark. steer clear of brigs and valentine. no reason to be over that way but you never know.

Other end of bedford park blvd ok too during daytime. Near Jerome. Still have to be careful. last year a bunch of Science kids got stuck up middle of the day right on Jerome ave. They probably looked like easy marks, but it was guncrime in the middle of the day not a purse snatching or something.

Jerome around mosholu is ok during the day and the area around bedford is ok too, but the stretch in between is a bit off.

Over on 204th from Webster up has got lots of little shops. good strip.

Indian food place up on bainbridge. big deli, couple pizza places that street too.

someone asked about up around knox and gates. The streets definitely have a rep. No reason to walk the area unless you live there. Think part of it is the isolation of the park right down the street.

Last edited by InTheBx; 05-07-2015 at 12:39 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
IMO, pretty much anything north of Bedford Park Blvd is good. I personally would not live even a block south of Bedford Park. I lived at 202nd St. and Valentine for about 2 years and I loved that area. It was very safe. Very clean. People in that area were working people who I saw every morning on their way to work on the subway. Of all the decent places in the Bronx, I'd live in this area if I had my choice because the train is nearby and it's a pretty safe area with all the amenities you'll need. Just my two cents......

Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
and be prepared to never find parking.
Not true, I street park my car every day after work. Before 8PM you should have no trouble finding parking. After that time requires more hunting but you can usually still find a spot.

I'm always parking on or around the Mosholu parkway because that's where I live. Not sure how much easier/harder parking is in other areas. The parkway might be easier because you have 2 sides of the street to park on with housing on only 1 side.

Quote:
Enjoy the area, its a good spot but dont go blowing it up and bringing in Brooklyn people.
I used to think a lot about gentrification and buying something and trying to cash in, but I admit the neighborhood and the West Bronx as a whole is growing on me. I like the atmosphere and the people and it would be a shame it became just another rich foreigners playground.

The Bronx is not all hoodrats and ghetto trash. Its a bit refreshing actually, riding the train from Manhattan and Brooklyn with all of the hipsters and weirdos to the Bronx which is mostly normal working people.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 05-07-2015 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City