Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

every time it gets hot, lots of criminals
go crazy and start going on the rampage.

it's savage. be safe out there. some people
don't have any sense in their pea brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post

Seriously. I think at least 3 of the victims were innocent bystanders. Little kids too.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Rather raise my child in a neighborhood where the population is assumed to be racist based of one or two random acts that may have taken place over the span of a few decades than a neighborhood like where the OP is currently residing where the people find the need to have to shoot each other often (e.g., this weekend).
Well, I agree with you. I'm black, and if I were to have children I would want them in the safest place affordable. No one is accusing Bay Ridge of being violent towards blacks, instead people are making allegations that someone deep down inside might think a racist thought. That's so whatever.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post

Indeed. Cold weather keeps people inside, but the criminals, along with everyone else come out in the heat.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
hot weather can be irritating but
you don't have to lose your mind
over it.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, I agree with you. I'm black, and if I were to have children I would want them in the safest place affordable. No one is accusing Bay Ridge of being violent towards blacks, instead people are making allegations that someone deep down inside might think a racist thought. That's so whatever.
LOL... Quite the contrary... One neighborhood has violent killings, the other historically hasn't cared for African-Americans and has had racist attacks on Black people, with a low Black population. Now it's one thing to take a chance and another to be in complete denial as if none of these things have happened. You seem to be doing the later. If the OP wants to move there then fine, but she should at least be aware of the some of the things she or her child or partner may face. We have no reason to make these things up. She asked for the hardcore facts and she's been given them. Now it's up to her to decide.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM

108 posts, read 285,736 times
I just saw this topic posted, and rather than read through 15 pages of comments, most of which are no doubt written by people who have had absolutely no personal experience with this topic (in regard to Bay Ridge, anyway), I just skipped to the end to offer my own personal experience.

I have lived in Bay Ridge since 1984. I am a white male. I dated an African-American lady (from Nigeria) for over 6 years, from 2001 to 2007. She stayed at my place most weekends. After we broke up, after a couple of years, I dated another lady, an American black, from 2009 to present. She has lived with me from July 2009 to the present at my apartment in Bay Ridge. We eat in neighborhood restaurants and shop in neighborhood stores.

We have never had an incident regarding race occur, nor has either lady tell me that she had a negative racially-related incident happen to her here in Bay Ridge in all that time. That has been our experience. Now you can go back to all your conjecturing about something you probably know very little about.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I just saw this topic posted, and rather than read through 15 pages of comments, most of which are no doubt written by people who have had absolutely no personal experience with this topic (in regard to Bay Ridge, anyway), I just skipped to the end to offer my own personal experience.

I have lived in Bay Ridge since 1984. I am a white male. I dated an African-American lady (from Nigeria) for over 6 years, from 2001 to 2007. She stayed at my place most weekends. After we broke up, after a couple of years, I dated another lady, an American black, from 2009 to present. She has lived with me from July 2009 to the present at my apartment in Bay Ridge. We eat in neighborhood restaurants and shop in neighborhood stores.

We have never had an incident regarding race occur, nor has either lady tell me that she had a negative racially-related incident happen to her here in Bay Ridge in all that time. That has been our experience. Now you can go back to all your conjecturing about something you probably know very little about.
So in other words just because you had no issues, you don't think the neighborhood had/has race issues? Give me a break. In most cases, people are much more hostile when it's a White woman and a Black man (which is the OP's case) as opposed to your set up, so you can't compare the two.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 PM

108 posts, read 285,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
So in other words just because you had no issues, you don't think the neighborhood had/has race issues? Give me a break. In most cases, people are much more hostile when it's a White woman and a Black man as opposed to your set up, so you can't compare the two.
I'm giving my experience. How much experience have you had with race in Bay Ridge?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Bay Ridge sure doesn't seem all that lily white if you spend any time on the main commerical strips (86th, 3rd, 5th). Perhaps people of color don't live there in great numbers, but they surely must feel comfortable enough to shop, work, or attend school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City