Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
lol meanwhile most of them are drowning in debt living
in their million dollar, newly renovated brownstones
while paying off their student loans for two to four
decades. how intelligent and classy, right?
Check your premises. I think you're confusing different demographics albeit within the same race. There are many people living in the brownstone neighborhoods who can pay the 20% down for a condo or TH, have good debt-income ratios, and meet the monthly amortization. Saying that they are drowning in debt is plain wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ maybe plenty but not totally all, so my premise is sound enough.
some people are faking, even if you don't see it, but let's not even
go off on that tangent. that's another subject altogether. lots of
rich people are kinda "struggling" to stay rich or keep the image too,
you know?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:18 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why am I not surprised a thread like this would span to over 5 pages in less then 2 hours?
hopefully it will get closed soon, i think the OP has probably already had an earful from myself and others

PS if you set your settings to max posts per page like i have, then it doesn't look so bad only 2 pages!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
lol meanwhile most of them are drowning in debt living
in their million dollar, newly renovated brownstones
while paying off their student loans for two to four
decades. how intelligent and classy, right?
Not true, at all. Some of them had parents who paid for college outright, especially the most expensive schools.

And debt is not a bad thing. I think it seems that way to really poor people who don't have anything, but everything is DONE with debt. Companies like Microsoft and Apple issue debt (borrow money). Wealthy individuals use credit cards.

The reason why they can get credit is because they have the INCOME to pay it off. Someone who pays of their student loans shows a history of responsible bill payment, and can easily get new loans for things like automobiles and homes.

So their debt was an INVESTMENT in their future.

And yes, I think anyone would prefer having a house and a car to living in run down projects and having to go down to the welfare office. Or being at the mercy of landlords, who can always find ways through the courts to jack up the rents (Stuytown is a major example).

Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
^ maybe plenty but not totally all, so my premise is sound enough.
some people are faking, even if you don't see it, but let's not even
go off on that tangent. that's another subject altogether.
Majority of people there who own their properties can afford it, or they would not have gotten a mortgage. The ones with student debt are renting with room mates, so they are not drowning in mortdages.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,302,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
hopefully it will get closed soon, i think the OP has probably already had an earful from myself and others

PS if you set your settings to max posts per page like i have, then it doesn't look so bad only 2 pages!
lol... Hey she wanted honest opinions and she's getting them! Now it's up to her to see for herself and make a decision!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

^2,3 I agree only to an extent, but I was not talking
about the exception, not the rule. anyway tho, carry
on. I'm not trying to change the discussion.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Majority of people there who own their properties can afford it, or they would not have gotten a mortgage. The ones with student debt are renting with room mates, so they are not drowning in mortdages.
Indeed. The banks verify income and credit history from credit payments, paycheck stubs, employment verification, bank account balances, tax returns, etc.

In short, they make sure you can afford the mortgage before they issue it out.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's not surprising that the more progressive neighborhoods in Brooklyn also tend to be more expensive. If you want a neighborhood that will accept your family based on the merits, you will need a combination of demographic diversity and good education (college level). Since you work in real estate, you know what happens to neighborhoods once college-educated professionals start to move in.

As you can see, Brooklyn is gradually becoming split between educated-expensive and poor areas, with the so-called "middle class" neighborhoods being the legacy blue collar types (regardless of race) who may be less accomodating of people who are racially different than them.

If you insist on staying in Brooklyn, then you either have to pay more to stay in a progressive neighborhood or quietly accept living in one that is "racist", knowing that you can carry on just by minding your own business.

Alternatively you can look at other boroughs, suburbs or even cities outside NYC.
Repped you.

I agree with you. Most progressive Brooklyn neighborhoods tend to be very liberal and highly educated like Park Slope, Clinton Hill, baby stroller Williamsburg, Western edges of Bedstuy, Propspect Heights, Greenpoint. Bay Ridge is a traditional classic NYC neighborhood and that's not going to change anytime soon, and its very affordable for working class, middle class blue collar and city workers. It is a diverse neighborhood and I'm sure Hispanics may date whites and vice versa or maybe middle easterners date outside their race or what not but its looked down upon if these groups date Blacks. But I think its best for the OP to live in North Western Brooklyn which is more accepting of Black and White interracial relationship such as Park Slope or Fort Green.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM

^ who doesn't look down on us for whatever reason?

we have fought over that nonsense forever in america,

but it still doesn't make anyone better than us. we're

still the root and foundation. people just like to ride us,

only if we let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City