Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM

18,852 posts, read 13,748,746 times

Advertisements

I do hate a lot of people, roughly 8 million or so according to the last census.

And just like last time someone attempted to call me out of shape because of my aversion to biking: donuts, along with most other unnatural and unclean foods, repulse me. My two vices, pizza and BBQ, put me on the bowl now everytime because of my normal diet. One doesn't have to be a flighty know it all to be in shape or eat right. Paratroopers rarely lose their fighting shape my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Of course, but I don't need someone in a transit rich environment to commute via auto when they could take the subway instead.
You know what they don't need? People like you telling them how to run their lives.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,157,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I do hate a lot of people, roughly 8 million or so according to the last census.

And just like last time someone attempted to call me out of shape because of my aversion to biking: donuts, along with most other unnatural and unclean foods, repulse me. My two vices, pizza and BBQ, put me on the bowl now everytime because of my normal diet. One doesn't have to be a flighty know it all to be in shape or eat right. Paratroopers rarely lose their fighting shape my friend.
Lol!

I don't understand why you choose to live in NYC then. I guess Staten Island suffices for now if you wish to continue living an auto-centric lifestyle. Sucks you have to leave it like most residents since you guys lack dense, mixed use and commercial development (jobs).

There are a lot of places in America where you can maintain an automobile for relatively cheap and without half the headaches. NYC is not one of them. In fact it's only getting more expensive and more difficult to own a car here. NYC is about urbanity and walkabilty, not auto-centric policy and suburbanization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You know what they don't need? People like you telling them how to run their lives.
The problem here is that some people only think about "me". This is a city, a community, it's about "us".

Sometimes, it takes tough love (or traffic calming, congestion pricing, dedicated mass transit/bicycle lanes, increased gas tax, expensive registrations, HOV rules, eliminating parking minimums and creating caps.)

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Hasn't gotten more expensive for me: I get a deep discount on the tolls, free parking at work (and home), my insurance hasn't changed in years and my step father is a mechanic. Attack other people, I'll never use that free metrocard (well not regularly at least).

Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Hasn't gotten more expensive for me: I get a deep discount on the tolls, free parking at work (and home), my insurance hasn't changed in years and my step father is a mechanic. Attack other people, I'll never use that free metrocard (well not regularly at least).
Interestingly enough, you threw yourself into the fray.

I have mentioned quite clearly on many threads; I would like to focus on communities that are already well served by mass transit. Basically I am voicing my support for policy like the recent Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan CBD zoning changes in terms of parking reductions, alternative forms of transit like bike share/bike infrastructure/ferries/SBS, MORE transit for under served neighborhoods, upzonings where necessary to create dense, walkable neighborhoods with housing and jobs. Even congestion pricing would balance out for someone from SI. Reduced toll at the Verrazano Bridge supplemented by East River tolls (to prevent Manhattan bound traffic and reduce congestion for those that require entry).

Of course, all you care about is yourself. As soon as you see population based proportions in terms of public space for drivers and non drivers you become a NIMBY.

"Screw those Manhattanites and their plazas! Screw those Brooklyn bike lanes! Screw SBS in the Bronx! Screw those Queens upzonings! I'm a driver and I DESERVE to drive here! It's my God given right! These are my roads, MINE!" "Hey, that's MY spot!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 PM

I'm driving to Manhattan in about 5 minutes as soon as I finish walking my dog.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
The problem here is that some people only think about "me". This is a city, a community, it's about "us".
With you as "our" spokesman, no doubt.

Quote:
Sometimes, it takes tough love (or traffic calming, congestion pricing, dedicated mass transit/bicycle lanes, increased gas tax, expensive registrations, HOV rules, eliminating parking minimums and creating caps.)
Do you have any idea what an obnoxiously condescending and paternalistic statement that is? Are you sure you're not related to King Bloomberg?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I'm driving to Manhattan in about 5 minutes as soon as I finish walking my dog.
Good, I hope you get a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
With you as "our" spokesman, no doubt.

Do you have any idea what an obnoxiously condescending and paternalistic statement that is? Are you sure you're not related to King Bloomberg?
I like Bloomberg, great damn mayor. Sad to see him go.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM

Tickets? Lol. I wonder what it's like to get those.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM

3,937 posts, read 5,040,432 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me.

NYC subsidizes New York State. Our city wouldn't be able to sustain it's dense population (nor it's tax base) without it's mass transportation system. Almost half the total population of this state lives in the 5 boroughs, along with a greater share of business. Another large chunk of that population depends on the city directly for employment (metro area). Imagine New York State without NYC. A small price to pay.

NYC is an economic generator for the nation as a whole. Our GDP rivals nations.
... and this has what to do with the fact that drivers licenses and car rentals and car registrations in every NYS county has to subsidize the poor schmucks and narrow-minded liberals taking the subway or buses?

It's so easy to say we need better this or that, but $$$$ has to come from somewhere. Our fed. and state gov't absolutely should be investing in quality mass transit, but not at the cost of taking it from the people who DON'T use it- and that's the NYS scheme.

The payroll tax was a disgusting shame, and guess what... it was repealed and unconstitutional. If you want public transportation to get better, you can pay for it yourself.

Manhattan will never see a congestion charge until a Cross Sound Bridge is built and the Verazanno become free. Disrupting the interstate system and commerce act would cost NYS way more federal funding than they could make up with congestion charges. The state threw out the idea before, and will do it time and time again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City