Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM

44 posts, read 142,504 times

Advertisements

There was a nude beach just west of Kismet on Fire Island, but I remember reading that due to complaints from the community the park service was going to put an end to it.

There's no nudity at Riis, but you may be thinking of Fort Tilden immediately to the west. Since Fort Tilden is federal land, and there's no federal law banning nudity in public, you can be nude there if you want. Of course, you may still be hassled by cops or other authority figures if they see you, as they're probably not aware of what I just wrote. Cops are still trying to arrest women for being topless in NYC, even though it's been legal here since the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 AM

282 posts, read 575,241 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/ny...each.html?_r=0

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I Remember the days of laying totally naked at Jones Beach way back in the day. Just a comfortable feeling.
Americans have such horrible hangups about nudity.

Seriously, we all know what a naked body looks like....

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

If your hands hold the coffee and you can carry more than 6 donuts when nude, I am impressed.
I will try to carry 7. Hey donuts only, no hamburgers.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Are there any nude beaches within a short commute of the city?
Isn't it mostly chubby over fifties bohemians who frequent these places?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 AM

44 posts, read 142,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
Yup, there it is--but I have to second a lot of commenters on that article, I've never seen any especially lewd or lascivious behavior on Lighthouse Beach. I'm not one for nude sun-bathing myself, but I stay out on Kismet every year and jog through that beach as part of my running route. Much ado about nothing, I say.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
I went to Gunnison a few times when I was in my twenties. It was kinda fun to be naked but I was always worried about someone stealing my clothes when I was in the water.

To be honest, I think if most people on nude beaches were in decent shape then we wouldn't see bans and if you've been to a nude beach, you'll know that is certainly not the case at present. Yes, yes, I know we should all love our bodies no matter what shape they are in and I agree, but reality is that people generally prefer to see what society/TV currently tells us is attractive --and that isn't a 300lb naked guy.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 19,729 times
I thought Riis Beach allowed nudity . I went to Riis last year and seen a large amount of nude people on the east side of the beach if I'm not mistaken (behind the abandoned building).

Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
Riis tolerates topless women, but not full nudity.

There's the gay section and right next to it is the topless area.

It's a very interesting place to visit, but not with children.

When I was there 2 yrs ago, I saw this tall, muscular black male, walking with what people thought was a third leg, that was covered with something like a sock.
It was very amusing to see the furor he cuased amongst other beach-goers.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM

245 posts, read 317,838 times
There is an area of Riis that has a considerable amount of topless sunbathers. It's just past the lesbian volleyball area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City