Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 855 times

Advertisements

I have rent room and find out that room am living is illegal room. Can i start living for free now. And can i stay here has long i want until am ready to lev this illegal room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 PM

136 posts, read 203,840 times
Can someone explain to me why the tenant doesn't get into any trouble living in an illegal basement apartment? I'm guessing they chose to live there because it's cheaper? The person knows full well that it's illegal to rent out basements as a living space, choose to rent it, then cause a scene when things go wrong and wants to live there for free because they have the power to threaten the landlord.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:25 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,197,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c114 View Post
Can someone explain to me why the tenant doesn't get into any trouble living in an illegal basement apartment? I'm guessing they chose to live there because it's cheaper? The person knows full well that it's illegal to rent out basements as a living space, choose to rent it, then cause a scene when things go wrong and wants to live there for free because they have the power to threaten the landlord.
Exactly! They just want the cheapest place possible just to be able to get a roof over their heads. as the cheaper it is the less $$ they need for security & 1st months rent to move in. These renters have no money & then they just move in. Stop paying & cry....it's illegal....YAAA!! I get to live for free now. These types of people are a joke & burden to society!

There are "professional" renters that do this too. It is a pattern with them. They WANT illegal apts. So they can do what above poster just said.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:30 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,197,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_way_s_5- View Post
I have rent room and find out that room am living is illegal room. Can i start living for free now. And can i stay here has long i want until am ready to lev this illegal room.
Go right ahead. Hope when landlords files evictions with the courts it shows up on your credit report in the Public Records section & destroys your credit. Illegal apt or not court records do show up on credit reports in the Public Records section. Eviction blemish will be there for all future employers or landlords to see.

But from the looks of your grammar you probably are not here legally. Thus do not even have a Social Security #. Can I say....typical.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:32 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Go right ahead. Hope when landlords files evictions with the courts it shows up on your credit report in the Public Records section & destroys your credit. Illegal apt or not court records do show up on credit reports in the Public Records section.
I don't think it applies to illegal basement apts. From what I understand, the tenant just has to go to housing court and the judge will instruct the tenant to stop paying rent

Old 08-18-2016, 12:08 PM

45 posts, read 71,185 times
2 apartments in a basement ? Wow. Save & move out. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City