Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times

Advertisements

Fastrack has been around for a year, but it's not happening on one line continuously. The program jumps from corridor to corridor. Nobody is affected year-round; only those who use the system on weeknights will be affected a few weeks a year. It's not as if these people wouldn't have been inconvenienced anyway; non-Fastrack service changes happen on weeknights often as well.

I agree about raising fares, but many people will argue against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 PM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Fastrack has been run about year round now.
I don't really have a problem with the system but they need to be open and admit it wasn't a single-summer-solution but a long-term-goal.

Also, if any stations are closed for days or nights at a time, there's less excuse to why they can't clean them.

I don't care on saving money, raise the train rates if you need the $$ to operate and keep a clean and timely subway system.
Stations are cleaned at night. Some more than others.

Want a clean system? It starts with the passengers who use it. Not the MTA.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culdesac25 View Post
he MTA is taking further precautions to avoid another situation like this from happening in the future by installing safeguards also.

Inserting the tunnel tampon shouldn't take that long. You just have to use the applicator

Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Unions will ensure that this project take as long as possible with a lot of overtime.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
FastTrack = Service Cuts
(But without the balls to call a spade a spade.)

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
I only use the R between Canal Street and Queens so doesn't bother me

Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
FastTrack = Service Cuts
(But without the balls to call a spade a spade.)
Let ME tell you why that's BS. Have you not noticed the difference? New lighting, smoother rides, and quicker might I add. The rails even sound different. Stations in the affected areas are slightly cleaner. At least around the time FASTRAK is complete in those areas. Lots of extra work can get done without trains passing every 10-20 minutes.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Fast track is a common sense approach to getting everything done at once, it's more efficient. The stupid part about it is that they throw so many resources at it that you end up with literally 20 guys standing around watching the 15 other guys actually working

Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 PM

92 posts, read 230,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Fast track is a common sense approach to getting everything done at once, it's more efficient. The stupid part about it is that they throw so many resources at it that you end up with literally 20 guys standing around watching the 15 other guys actually working
Do you work with or within the TWU and have actually witness this? are or you just speaking out your ass?

As far as I know they don't let civilians watch while they do repairs as the station usually get closed off.

As for the service.. it's still crappy as ever with FASTTRACK. The 1 train just derailed a couple weeks ago. Signal problems is a daily occurrence. Bottlenecks during rush hour traffic in lower Manhattan is an anomaly when it doesn't occur.

Took me 40 minutes to get from 42nd st to Wall st back in May on the 4 "express" train. Another time back in April a train decided to wait a a certain station in Brooklyn for 20 MINUTES. I give my myself some buffer time to allow for the MTA's incompetence; needless to say I STILL was late to where ever I had to go by a couple minutes. Awesome. Last week 2 and 5 trains were being re-routed to Utica ave instead of Flatbush Ave. For they had the 2, 3, 4 and 5 headed to the same destination because of signal problems. That made me late also. I could go on and on but I'm sure you guys could easily out do me with even worse stories.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdesac25 View Post
Do you work with or within the TWU and have actually witness this? are or you just speaking out your ass?

As far as I know they don't let civilians watch while they do repairs as the station usually get closed off.

As for the service.. it's still crappy as ever with FASTTRACK. The 1 train just derailed a couple weeks ago. Signal problems is a daily occurrence. Bottlenecks during rush hour traffic in lower Manhattan is an anomaly when it doesn't occur.

Took me 40 minutes to get from 42nd st to Wall st back in May on the 4 "express" train. Another time back in April a train decided to wait a a certain station in Brooklyn for 20 MINUTES. I give my myself some buffer time to allow for the MTA's incompetence; needless to say I STILL was late to where ever I had to go by a couple minutes. Awesome. Last week 2 and 5 trains were being re-routed to Utica ave instead of Flatbush Ave. For they had the 2, 3, 4 and 5 headed to the same destination because of signal problems. That made me late also. I could go on and on but I'm sure you guys could easily out do me with even worse stories.
The section of the (1) line that had the derailment didn't get a FASTRAK. Derailments in the system are not common anyway.

You make it sound as if mechanical problems can't happen in machines. On top of that, the Lex is the most heavily used transit artery in the Western Hemisphere. Carrying more people in a day than the entire DC Metro or the combined daily ridership of BART and the MBTA Subway. Something that heavily used WILL be more prone to signal failure. The Eastern Pkwy and Nostrand Avenue lines as well as the Flushing line do as well because of how heavily used they are. And this should be common knowledge, "The more you use something, the more likely it is to fail".

People always say the service is crappy when it isn't. When you learn the ins and outs of how this system runs and what it takes to keep it running, THEN and ONLY THEN can you truly give your opinion. Because frankly, even the system that runs in our nations Capital has WAY worse service. And WAY more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City