Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,783,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The complex is a very nice neighborhood, with good-sized apartments. It is NOT so-so. Also, a 6 ride to 59th St with a change to the N or R is an option. Still around 40-45 minutes. The same "east side issues" apply to Morris Park (5)

And to be honest, the area is not as bad as I thought it would be. West and south of the area is not great, but it sure ain't Brownsville and East New York, either! More than likely, the OP may not have to venture in that area. Yes, Southwest is Soundview, but more than likely the OP would not have to go there, either! I like the eastern part. There are some nice 1-2 family houses in a quiet neighborhood (I don't see any hangouts, drama, etc!).

As I said, check out all locations and see what fits your needs. Good luck to the OP!
The complex IS just so so. The maintaince is so so. There are undesireables living there. Pissing in elevators, stair wells, hallways. Drug sales are a big thing in the area. People blast music. I have personally passed by crime scenes after shootings (I passed one a couple weekends back). The other day one of the buildings was raided by ESU. The theatre and the retail attracts Bronxites from all over, most of the Bronx is hoods. So you have a lot of people who wanna be tough. Robberies are pretty common (retail+public transit+the layout of the complex+proximity to hoods). I have been to Parkchester plenty of times for years and still do. It's not the worst, but it's not the greatest either. By Bronx standards that is (which are low). This is the complex I am talking about.

As for the areas around it. The Parkchester neighborhood to the west and Soundview to the southwest are just like Brownsville and East NY. Ghetto. The Parkchester area to the west which is much more local and not seperate from the complex by a highway has major drug strip through the heart of the neighborhood (Archer Street). It is a small neighborhood to begin with. The condition of the housing in both those areas is real bad.

To the north (Van Nest) is not so bad but the area is still crappy. Bad housing and it is getting worse.

The west (Westchester Square) isnt too bad either. Not as bad as the north. It's getting worse though.

To the southeast (Castle Hill) is crappy. Lots of drug spots and gang activity. Robberies are pretty common in the area. Housing is in bad shape. Bad neighborhood.

As for mass transit. From Morris Park/Pelham Bay I stated the ride was long. Over an hour to Chelsea. Parkchester is the same.

Last edited by Hustla718; 11-05-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,849 times
As indicated, whatever nabe you seek, check the nabe and the housing for yourself. To add, list all the tradeoffs for that area, good and bad; see what fits your needs and likes and decide for yourself.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,986,540 times
I would highly recommend you take a look at the Yankee Stadium Redevelopment zone BEFORE deciding against 811 Walton based upon the scary stories you may here on this site. If you are looking for an area that is VERY close to mass transit, close to the city, under 45 min commute to Chelsea, with amenities,alot of upside AND around $200,000 for a co-op...you cannot go wrong here.

The area is being completed redeveloped and will include a huge new outdoor retail center that will host name brand retailers like Bed Bath & Beyond, a Target, as well as a variety of outdoor eating venues, an open waterfront esplanaded from 149st through 161st, new parks, trees, upgraded infrastructure, lighting, etc. There are already lots of new people moving in, and prices have been increasing steadily....completion is set for around 2010..so as that approaches pricesn are likely to rise.

The are already has some good bars and restaurants, and that will only improve dramatically going forward. If you would like to learn more about what's happening there, feel free to google it. I am a local Bronx guy and, if you like, I would be happy to provide you with more info and a tour of the area! Private message me if you are interested...however at the very least I recommend googling the new Gateway Center in the Bronx, the Yankee Stadium Redvelopment zone, as well as taking the time to see the area...what you hear on here and what you will find are going to be very different...the place is okay now but getting REALLY GOOD shortly...

Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,339,822 times
No, I was not referring to Riverdale.

In most areas of Riverdale you'll probably need a car. Look around Johnson Ave and 235th st, there's a lot of apartment buildings and co-ops in the area. This is probably the most walkable area of Riverdale as there is a grocery store, lots of different restaurants, and shops. From here I believe you can catch an express bus to Manhattan or you can take a local bus and switch to the 1 down in Kingsbridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetuniaP View Post
Is your neighborhood Riverdale? Per the Riverdale residents I've spoken to, a car is very much a necessity, but I'm not planning on getting a car. Plus, it's pretty far uptown.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,613,765 times
I would suggest looking at co-ops on Mosholu Parkway in Bedford Park. It’s a very pretty area. We’ve lived here since 2004 and really like it. Transportation is the 4 and D train and metro-north. You would definitely be able to find something within your budget. Hustla has told me the neighborhood is going downhill, but this definitely has not been our experience. Close by are Lehman College and Fordham U and also the Botanical Gardens. The bad thing is there’s no bank right here, you have to go across Mosholu to 204th/Bainbridge to go to the bank or major drug stores, although there is the grocery store, dry cleaning etc. on this side of the parkway. I’m not crazy about Fordham Rd., but it is convenient to have it within walking distance (maybe a 20min. walk)

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,339,822 times
I think everybody's making good suggestions, but in all honesty I believe all of these neighborhoods are only going to be equal to, or a step down to where she is currently living.

Riverdale is really the only upscale neighborhood in the Bronx that has a lot of ammenities. The problem is that it is pricier to purchase in Riverdale than in most of the rest of the Bronx. I was looking up real estate prices in Riverdale around Johnson ave and 1 br's seems to be going in the low $200k range.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,986,540 times
Yeah I agree Mead...but I think the op is aware that she is not expecting "shangri-la." I think she is basically looking for a place that she can walk around without fear of being decapitated (which should be just about anywhere really), have access to some basic amenities, be close to the city, be udner $200,000, and have a good upside. I think most of the neighborhoods meet those criteria....I still think my Yankee Stadium area is the best choice though sofar! =)

Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM

33,621 posts, read 46,921,221 times
google "fordham hill oval"

Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM

13 posts, read 50,979 times
Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone! I do plan on visiting these areas during the day and evening to test my comfort level with available amenities and safety issues.

Guywithacause, you hit the nail on the head in terms of what I am looking for. Safe for a single woman, as long as I practice basic street smarts, some basic amenities, a good future outlook, good space for my modest budget and very importantly, an improved commute. 45 minutes to Chelsea is my target but I'm willing to compromise as long as I am near a train station. My current nabe is ok, but taking the bus to the train every day is a killer.

Yodel, thanks for reminding me about Moshulu Parkway. I really appreciate your insight as a current resident of the area. I went to Bronx Science so I have a passing familiarity with the Bedford Park area even though I've been out of H.S. for a long time. I need to see how long the commute into the city is on the D train. I really like that line, it's fast and fairly reliable from my recollection...even though it's been years since I've taken the D. The 4 train will also be convenient for visiting family in Brooklyn.

I'd love to stay in Brooklyn, but I'm priced out of many areas where I'd like to live. Queens holds no appeal so I'm hoping the Bronx pans out.

Appreciate all of the suggestions and I'd love to hear more ideas if anyone has any.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,000,664 times
Not the best area but there are Coops in University Heights. I assume they're cheap, and Fordham rd is a block down. Keep in mind though that the area is very very bad. If you're not worried about getting robbed, mugged etc etc then check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City