Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I agree with the others above that if you want cheap but good, Argentinean steak houses are the only way to go.
You can't go wrong with any of the them in Queens- I like La Portena in Jackson Heights, close to the 7 train.
just avoid any items you can't pronounce, or you'll be eating a lot of random organs lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I know exactly the spot you're talking about. Totally forgetting the name and too lazy to look it up but I've ate there several times. Love the food and it is very good but I'll pass on that for steak or use it as a last result. Thanks though!

I've passed that place SO MANY times that I'm damn curious. Its certainly on my list. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion but that's too far out the way for us. If I ever happen to be there any time soon, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Damn homey! I've always been to Jackson Heights and ate plenty of the great food around there. However, I've never tried those restaurants. I'm keeping an eye out on these and most definitely have them in consideration.

Seems pretty expensive and another friend of mine actually lives around the corner from the place. I'll give it a try though!

Actually, sorry to say but we're both male and both STRAIGHT. So I'm not looking for a place that's romantic and I certainly won't be wining and dining him "in that way". HAHAHA! We're just two buds who love food and I want to treat him to a meal and shoot the breeze. Thanks for your input however!

Groovy. Have you ate there before?

Cool. I love Kew Gardens so I might check it out. Thank you!

So far, lots of great suggestions. I was thinking of Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem and I was going for that but I tried making a reservation for 6:30-7PM but I'm afraid that won't happen since its filled. I'm also afraid of waiting for two or more hours to eat. Has anyone ate at Dinosaur BBQ before?
Christo's in Astoria? Place is good but expensive. So is jakes in Riverdale. Just ate at Chivito Di oro on 37th ave in JH. Good app's but so so on the meat. Service was really good and the marinades are very good.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I'm not much of a steak eater but if you're even down here in Bay Ridge give Chadwicks a try. I've had their steak and I think it's very good.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
BTW, good steak is not very hard to cook at home. You can buy a couple of porterhouses in Fairway, bake-sear them, serve with some fries cooked in the residual lard and chow down with a case of Blue Moon.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharroun View Post
Brasserie Les Halles home base of Chef-at-large Anthony Bourdain
28th and park

22$ for steak/fries/salad... really good...
Inexpensive and amazing.
True, but also inconsistent service/food, esp. when it is crowded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
if youre willing to travel to Riverdale there is Jake's SteakHouse a few steps from the #1 IRT train terminal
We've eaten there before... Wouldn't call it exactly "cheap". In fact some people leave there complaining that they're still hungry.

The food can also be inconsistent, which I find annoying, but then again that's usually the case with most places in Riverdale.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I'm not much of a steak eater but if you're even down here in Bay Ridge give Chadwicks a try. I've had their steak and I think it's very good.
Is Embers SteakHouse still around? Had a steak there about 8 years ago.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
BTW, good steak is not very hard to cook at home. You can buy a couple of porterhouses in Fairway, bake-sear them, serve with some fries cooked in the residual lard and chow down with a case of Blue Moon.
I agree. If you are too busy to do it yourself, take Q train to Seventh Avenue in Brooklyn. In Park Slope area, you can get an inexpensive steak at Bogota. When you got funds saved, get a juicy steak at Blue Ribbon on Fifth Avenue. Don't be shocked to find local actors chowing down on pricey grub there, too.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I was really with you until you mentioned cooking french fries in lard...

Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
THE PALM...for lunch but only for lunch.
$25.90 for the Power Lunch (on the left.)
The double filet mignons are to die for, the Caesar Salad immense, the onions and potato great and both desserts delightful. (They used to have a Key Lime Pie but seems no more.)

http://www.thepalm.com/files/filesPa...-Mar13-NY4.pdf

(We only go to PALM, ONE...West side of Second Ave...not sure if PALM,TOO has the same deal.)

P.S. If you want drinks, make cocktails at home or you will mangle the budget.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-10-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
THE PALM...for lunch.
$25.90 for the Power Lunch (on the left.)
The double filet mignons are to die for, the Caesar Salad immense, the onions and potato great and both desserts delightful.

http://www.thepalm.com/files/filesPa...-Mar13-NY4.pdf
Looks like you picked a winner which is funny because that area isn't exactly known for great places to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City