Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalized
Yes 41 85.42%
No 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I agree with most of thoughts. I smoked Marijuana once upon a time. Now I don't. My plate is full and I don't want to jeopardize my position. I just feel a lot of lives were ruined by these laws. I didn't know you were born in the 70's. I honestly thought you were older, much older. Sorry.
No need to be sorry, I take that as a very nice compliment ! I thought I was so obviously an early-career, early-family type.

I also smoked marijuana once upon a time, and then I grew up, facing a likely similar plate and position. I enjoyed a strong upbringing and this helped.

So I do wonder how children from less involved parents would fare if marijuana were to be legalized and widely available. How would race and economic class work itself out there ? Do we let those children whose parents are not attentive, and/or who lack "purchased" supervision and direction, do what they will ?

Regarding lives ruined - it's all about Mill, who was a central voice in the founding of this country and remains quite present, in spite of the fact that few people now consider his ideas: Do for the majority, some will fall through the cracks or be harmed. That's the thing, and I am not saying it isn't tragic in real life. I actually know an older man whose life was indeed completely ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
These days I'm surprised when I meet someone who DOESN'T think it should be legalized. What's the holdup?
In my opinion - MONEY !!! Just like everything else.
Someone is making money on the fact that marijuana is illegal.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
According to the FDA over 100,000 people die per year from the effects of LEGAL drugs and not a single word about this from the MSM, no investigations on Big Pharma and not a single person working from the FDA has been fired...but the debates on MJ still carries on despite zero deaths linked to its usage and recent Harvard studies indicating its positive health benefits when it comes to battling cancer. We all know who the real criminals that need to be locked up are...

Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
it's just another racket and guess who are the pawns, as usual?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it's just another racket and guess who are the pawns, as usual?
Then stop being a pawn.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ I'm not talking about myself personally.
I'm talking about all the victims of these
dumb laws.

for some reason, you always miss the point,
but I think you do that on purpose.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
No need to be sorry, I take that as a very nice compliment ! I thought I was so obviously an early-career, early-family type.

I also smoked marijuana once upon a time, and then I grew up, facing a likely similar plate and position. I enjoyed a strong upbringing and this helped.

So I do wonder how children from less involved parents would fare if marijuana were to be legalized and widely available. How would race and economic class work itself out there ? Do we let those children whose parents are not attentive, and/or who lack "purchased" supervision and direction, do what they will ?

Regarding lives ruined - it's all about Mill, who was a central voice in the founding of this country and remains quite present, in spite of the fact that few people now consider his ideas: Do for the majority, some will fall through the cracks or be harmed. That's the thing, and I am not saying it isn't tragic in real life. I actually know an older man whose life was indeed completely ruined.
Making marijuana legal doesn't end all employment issues. Can you go to work drunk, though alcohol is legal? Of course not. You can be fired from your job due to drunkenness. You can lose professional licenses in a number of fields due to drunkenness.

Likewise, you won't be able to go to work stoned. You'd still lose your license in fields like medicine or law. Or just be fired from other jobs if they thought you had too big a problem.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:18 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In my opinion - MONEY !!! Just like everything else.
Someone is making money on the fact that marijuana is illegal.

This is very true. The city has to justify paying 35,000 officers of the NYPD.

This is done through the court system.

If all of a sudden there was no crime in the city, there would be no justifiction for a police force.

The judicial system has to leave the door open for petty crimes like marijuana in order to keep the fical wheels turning.

Sometimes the NYPD actually go out and create crime. Here a perfect scenario that I almost got caught in where the NYPD was blatantly creating crime:

Three undercover officers of the 109th precinct would leave and shoulder bag inside of the HSBC ATM vestibule on Man Street in Flushing. There would be a carefully folded cash roll sticking out of the top of the bag. The bag would be left on the counter in plain sight.

What these porkchops were hoping would happen is that somebody using the ATM would just grab the cash out of the bag and take off, where they would apprehend them once they got outside.

I actually saw this going on and I kicked the bag onto the floor, quickly pointed at one of the undercover detectives and asked them why are you trying to set people up?

He quickly picked up the bag, zipped it up, and shouted at me to gtfo there or I would be going to jail for interfeing with a police investigation. I walked by the same bank everyday that week at 930am and there they were, trying to pick off chinese immigrants who don't even speak english for trumped up petty crime charges.

It's all about a quota and keeping the cities financials in order.

Black dudes carrying weed or smoking blunts out on the street is just low hanging fruit for the NYPD.

The guys with the weed simply aren't clever or caring enough to realize the consequences of their actions and or how to avoid the NYPD.

Cops for the most part are imbeciles, but smoking on the street is just opening the door for them to destroy your life.

It's really not the NYPD targeting black guys per se, but it's black guys not having the common sense or intuition to avoid the NYPD.

Wering a hoodie, wearing your pants sagging below your ass, and even wearing fitted baseball caps with stickers on the bill are all indicators that the NYPD is looking for when they are in search of a mark.

Why these kids (and men) who dress like this can't figure this out is beyond me at this point...

Old 11-02-2014, 09:25 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
This is very true. The city has to justify paying 35,000 officers of the NYPD.

This is done through the court system.

If all of a sudden there was no crime in the city, there would be no justifiction for a police force.

The judicial system has to leave the door open for petty crimes like marijuana in order to keep the fical wheels turning.

Sometimes the NYPD actually go out and create crime. Here a perfect scenario that I almost got caught in where the NYPD was blatantly creating crime:

Three undercover officers of the 109th precinct would leave and shoulder bag inside of the HSBC ATM vestibule on Man Street in Flushing. There would be a carefully folded cash roll sticking out of the top of the bag. The bag would be left on the counter in plain sight.

What these porkchops were hoping would happen is that somebody using the ATM would just grab the cash out of the bag and take off, where they would apprehend them once they got outside.

I actually saw this going on and I kicked the bag onto the floor, quickly pointed at one of the undercover detectives and asked them why are you trying to set people up?

He quickly picked up the bag, zipped it up, and shouted at me to gtfo there or I would be going to jail for interfeing with a police investigation. I walked by the same bank everyday that week at 930am and there they were, trying to pick off chinese immigrants who don't even speak english for trumped up petty crime charges.

It's all about a quota and keeping the cities financials in order.

Black dudes carrying weed or smoking blunts out on the street is just low hanging fruit for the NYPD.

The guys with the weed simply aren't clever or caring enough to realize the consequences of their actions and or how to avoid the NYPD.

Cops for the most part are imbeciles, but smoking on the street is just opening the door for them to destroy your life.

It's really not the NYPD targeting black guys per se, but it's black guys not having the common sense or intuition to avoid the NYPD.

Wering a hoodie, wearing your pants sagging below your ass, and even wearing fitted baseball caps with stickers on the bill are all indicators that the NYPD is looking for when they are in search of a mark.

Why these kids (and men) who dress like this can't figure this out is beyond me at this point...
Spot on. Alot of the problem is conspicuous consumption. I smoke pot but I dont smoke pot in large groups of people in public places. If a person is trying to draw attention to themselves with fashion,music,scene causing,they are easy targets. The chances of the police busting in my house cause im smoking a joint are slim to none. However the criminality of that joint being passed to all my friends in front of a residence or business or outside a bar increases expotentially.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:15 AM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
Marijuana should be legal for many reasons. Its safer than alcohol, it would mean we spend less police and prison resources on marijuana crimes, and we put many of the major drug cartels out of business.

Also making marijuana legal will make it harder, not easier for minors to get it. I remember when I was in high school marijuana was as easy to find as chewing gum while getting alcohol was much harder (usually involving going over someones house and stealing from their parents). Why the difference? Because the former is illegal and thus there exists a dealer black market which easily penetrates into the schools, while the latter is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City