Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

^ why are you making it personal, champ?

you don't know me like that. i don't ask for
handouts but i understand why some people
have to. get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
The only programs even close to being considered "welfare" I've ever qualified for was unemployment for 6 months over a decade ago and the veterans benefits I earned serving overseas for our country. There's no way my salary qualifies me for any "welfare" programs, and I plan on keeping it that way. My kids likely won't even qualify for student aid once we get to that point.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ i get all that, but you're preaching to deaf ears
i dunno. you might be taking what you can from somebody, but i don't know
what it is. uncle sam is taking something from you, isn't he?

if so, why aren't you getting some back?
money makes the world go round, right?

i'd rather take a little than a lot myself. i'm not asking for too much.
It's well understood that the government takes money from what we earn to use it for things that are needed. If we overpay into the system, we get that money back when we file our taxes. Assuming you work, surely you know this, but maybe that isn't the case.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
And I thank you for your signature on the Sequestration Bill, Mr. Obama.
Cutting Unemployment Compensation, Affordable Housing, Section 8, Medicare...yep, that's what Democrats elected you to do. <yes, Sheldon...that's sarcasm.>

Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Kefir let's be reasonable and fair...Obama did everything he could to prevent the sequestration but was thwarted, as many of his reforms and initiatives are, by a small but vocal group of elected officials who have hijacked congress.

So thank Obama for doing his best for trying to avert the sequestration. He was in fact elected to do a job, but a certain segment will not permit him to do it, and make it their sole goal to make sure he fails (and by "he fails" they mean government fails, and citizens suffer).

Last edited by SobroGuy; 06-11-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Well, the tea party controls the House, and they will not compromise on additional funds for poor people. They will lock down and refuse to pass a budget unless they get huge concessions from Obama and the Democrats, and they will get them.

With that said, the Democrats count business people as their base too. Clinton moved the Democratic party to the right and Obama is keeping it there. Cuts have been occurring to programs affecting poor people since Obama got elected, its just now gotten to the point where a number of big programs in the city are about to be finished.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Kefir let's be reasonable and fair...Obama did everything he could to prevent the sequestration but was thwarted, as many of his reforms and initiatives are, by a small but vocal group of elected officials who have hijacked congress.

So thank Obama for doing his best for trying to avert the sequestration. He was in fact elected to do a job, but a certain segment will not permit him to do it, and make it their sole goal to make sure he fails (and by "he fails" they mean government fails, and citizens suffer).
Here we go with the let's blame everyone for Obama's failures...

Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ obama's not a failure. you're kidding yourself.
i bet you couldn't do 1/4 of what he has done to
keep the status quo for people like you.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Here we go with the let's blame everyone for Obama's failures...
How was that even a failure? He signed on to federal budget cuts. Not at all a failure. He agreed with the principle of the cuts, though he and the Republicans are at odds at the severity of them.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ obama's not a failure. you're kidding yourself.
i bet you couldn't do 1/4 of what he has done to
keep the status quo for people like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How was that even a failure? He signed on to federal budget cuts. Not at all a failure. He agreed with the principle of the cuts, though he and the Republicans are at odds at the severity of them.
Whatever you want to call it, it would be nice for once if the blame was put where it belonged. Obama is the one who has been signing off on these budgets with reckless spending and now that the cuts are coming, let's blame everyone else except for him.

I'm sure you would blame my turtle if I had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City