Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:58 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
No. It's not widespread. If it was, Brownsville or east NY would be full of bike lanes. There's just not enough demand or interest in the community.

there's a good reason why the vast amount of bike lanes are where they are.

And I already knew that you won't pay for citibikes. I read somewhere that African Americans had the least favorable views on the project.
Umm you sound silly. Everywhere in the city has bike lanes. You brought race into this talking about black people dont ride bikes. What kind of garbage is that. Nothing about being black white or brown its about green.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...c-bike-map.pdf

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:59 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
It's not.

It's widespread mainly in the neighborhoods where there's enough demand for infrastructure; i.e. bike lanes.
And how does that statement even equates claimimg that riding a BMX is not cycling? I said it was.

You wanna disagree with me over a previous discussion spat, go right ahead and indulge yourself, but lets try to be logical and try make some sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Who decided that "cycling" only means zipping around town on your $1,200 road bike, or hybrid, or fixie with an air of superiority? A lot of what you see with the homies are actually trials bikes. And a lot of these guys are pulling some cool sh1te if you watch em for a second. Bmx as well. Not just bikes "from toys r us" (sure there is some of that).

Why is that not "cycling"?
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to availableusername again"

Quote:
It's not.

It's widespread mainly in the neighborhoods where there's enough demand for infrastructure; i.e. bike lanes.
And how does that statement even equates claimimg that riding a BMX is not cycling? I said it was.

You wanna disagree with me over a previous discussion spat, go right ahead and indulge yourself, but lets try to be logical and try make some sense.
Go enjoy ur Friday night and have a drink...I'm done.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to availableusername again"

Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Go enjoy ur Friday night and have a drink...I'm done.

Pretty sure he's talking to me lol...

A previous spat? What in god's name are you on about? You are still not being clear on your personal definition of "bicycling". If by that word, you mean only what you do....then yes. It is not as prevalent in the hood. And dudes who ride in the manner they do, don't necessitate bike lanes or bike share.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
I truely don't give a rat a** about what demographic group uses citibikes the most.
I just hope that everyone does, not matter what race. Who cares.
And for the record I wasn't the one who initially brought up the subject of race. I just responded on why the bike stations are on the locations that they are.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
I truely don't give a rat a** about what demographic group uses citibikes the most.
I just hope that everyone does, not matter what race. Who cares.
And for the record I wasn't the one who initially brought up the subject of race. I just responded on why the bike stations are on the locations that they are.

That's all fine and dandy. I was simply taking issue with your definition of "cycling".

Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The program itself, as well as the docking station locations, are designed and intended to serve a specific socio-economic demographicc group; of which, the majority of NYers and CD members are not a part.

These bikes are NOT a 'public service' intended for the use of the *general* public.

If you are a young urban transplant, earning six figures or more, well traveled, specifically in northern/western Europe, and have an affinity for the Euro Social urban lifestyle then YOU are the *target* demographiic.

YOU live in Manhattan below the Park, as well as commensurate parts of Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heiights, Dumbo, Park Slope, etc. You live, work and socilize primarily in these areas of NYC.

YOU are relatively familiar with such public biking from you visits and extended stays in Europe.

Sooo, most of the issues and complaints suggested in this and the other thread, while well thought, in fegard to the *average* person, simply do not apply to "YOU".

YOU are the new Ubran Euro American which Bloomberg favors and has and is designing the New NYC.

Since this bike "program" by Bloomberg was billed as a public service, yet is designed and intended to serve such a narrow and specific demographic., the program could not bbe built with *public* dollars! Yet, the *propaganda* of public service allowed Bloomberg to confiscate public property for the use of this "program" which does not and will not serve the general public.

Note, the *target* demographic is speedily consuming Manhattan and will eventually become the dominant group in Manhattan. This fact is the reason Citibank is *sponsoring* the program.

For thosee who are confused (KK and others), Citibank does NOT own the biking program. There is a company which is behind the FOR PROFIT "program". Citibank will derive no profit from the program. Citibank is simply a sponsor, allowing the biking company to reduce its initial start up costs.

Bloomberg wanted this. Part of his Euro conversion of NYC. Yet, he knew the general public and the City Council would never agree. So, he found a way to get it done.

A little propaganda, a little capitalism, and whalla! One step closer to NY's (specifically Manhattan's) Euronization.
The system is too small to be useful to a large portion of the general public, but if it does well initially then maybe they'll expand beyond the current planned phases. The yearly membership is really affordable so making six figures for this sort of thing is sort of silly. It's really more of a time and money saver than anything. I've also seen people use it coming to and from the Walt Whitman houses using the rack right across the street at Fort Greene Park and it didn't seem like they were transplants making six figures or have an affinity for "Euro Social" urban lifestyle. I've also seen a lot of LIU students using it as well (LIU isn't really much of a transplant school nor a school for the fabulously wealthy). It's quite possible when the roll out further east later this year happens, there's going to be a number of people who are not Euro American transplants making six figures who are in love with Europe.

Also, I don't get how this is so much a European thing. Bikes have significant transit shares in many parts of the world outside of Europe including many developing countries. Bike share systems, which are understandably recent things everywhere since the technology and infrastructure (such as the communications network necessary for this to be done successfully) to do them would have been ridiculously expensive in the past or plain undoable, have sprouted up around the world. China actually has the largest bike share program in the world and I definitely don't get much of Euro vibe from there. There are a lot of other cities throughout the US which already have or are currenty implementing bike share programs (and also initially near the densest parts of the city) and I don't think Bloomberg really has that much control over other municipalities. It's sort of weird how the rest of the world besides NYC and Europe is so invisible in your post.

I agree that the amount of do-gooder publicity for what is essentially a private enterprise without recompense for the city is bad.

A question for anyone: does the city get any revenue from this at all?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-14-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Umm you sound silly. Everywhere in the city has bike lanes. You brought race into this talking about black people dont ride bikes. What kind of garbage is that. Nothing about being black white or brown its about green.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...c-bike-map.pdf
Another thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City