Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support pedestrianization/plazas.
I SUPPORT more DRAMATIC plazas and pedestrianization citywide. 14 35.90%
I SUPPORT SMALLER SCALE street closures and plazas scattered throughout the city. 11 28.21%
I would prefer LESS plazas and pedestrianization of streets. 1 2.56%
I am completely AGAINST/OPPOSE pedestrianization and plazas. 10 25.64%
I have no opinion. 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The pedestrian plaza in Times Sq actually reduced congestion. In the past, there were a lot of space conflicts in that area due to multiple arteries intersecting. The simplified design by pedestrianizing Broadway led to less congestion by streamlining traffic.

The same goes for other plazas. To date, no street closure or plaza has lead to increased traffic. In fact, in many cases they help relieve congestion.
You're 100% correct about that. I just don't think they should overdo it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
NYCHA projects are illustrative here. Streets through projects are pedestrianized. What effect does that have? Would you say it's positive?

Big picture: what problem is pedestrianization supposed to solve? Do you ever find yourself walking down the sidewalk and thinking, gee, I wish I were walking in the middle of the street instead?

Note: I'm a near-daily bike commuter and don't own a car. I'm all for a pedestrian- and bike-friendly streets. I just don't understand the point of closing whole streets to traffic.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
NYCHA projects are illustrative here. Streets through projects are pedestrianized. What effect does that have? Would you say it's positive?

Big picture: what problem is pedestrianization supposed to solve? Do you ever find yourself walking down the sidewalk and thinking, gee, I wish I were walking in the middle of the street instead?

Note: I'm a near-daily bike commuter and don't own a car. I'm all for a pedestrian- and bike-friendly streets. I just don't understand the point of closing whole streets to traffic.
NYCHA grounds:

•The most common type of construction utilized by the NYCHA is tower-in-the-park.

•Within these developments, movement in and out of the actual apartment buildings is priority. Connections to social areas and parking lots are secondary.

•The grounds are often underutilized. Large expanses of inaccessible grass with minimal landscaping. Parking lots and small social spaces take up a small % of the land area.

•NYCHA grounds are private space, comparable to other multi-unit buildings with significant space in NYC. Not plazas like Union Sq or pedestrianized streets like Broadway in Times Sq which are multi purpose (event centers, social spaces, retail, act).

There are plenty of times when I wish the sidewalk was much wider, or the street closed period. Typically when experiencing high pedestrian densities. Less sidewalk congestion is more pleasant. Ever been to a street fair? A lot of areas have that kind of traffic year round. Would definitely be beneficial to the city to allow for this type of recreation more often too.

Summer streets is coming up soon. For three Saturdays in August, Park Avenue is closed for miles. I suggest you experience it for yourself. I wish NYC enhanced this program, Ciclovia in a number of large Colombian cities closes numerous streets to traffic every Sunday and on holidays. Millions of pedestrians utilize them during those times.

So many potential uses for that added real estate.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 06-13-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Have you researched the failures of past pedestrian malls? I'm sure there are many.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Have you researched the failures of past pedestrian malls? I'm sure there are many.
Most of the failures don't have the pedestrian volume of Manhattan and are in locations where most arrive by car.

Perhaps sections of Broadway could be turned into a pedestrian street?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM

Didn't realize he only meant midtown manhattan.

IMO, I find Fulton st mall to be one of the least desirable parts of that BK CB. I also tend to avoid times sq and herald sq. I'm sure they are great for tourists that are scared of crossing nyc streets but they are not the only ones that the city needs to attend to.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
IMO, I find Fulton st mall to be one of the least desirable parts of that BK CB. I also tend to avoid times sq and herald sq. I'm sure they are great for tourists that are scared of crossing nyc streets but they are not the only ones that the city needs to attend to.
I find both Times Squares and Herald Squares more pleasant than they were before. The Fulton St Mall isn't the best, but I don't think its issues have much to do with being pedestrianized.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I find both Times Squares and Herald Squares more pleasant than they were before. The Fulton St Mall isn't the best, but I don't think its issues have much to do with being pedestrianized.
The Fulton st mall is surrounded by very desirable areas in pretty much every direction.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Times sq and Herald sq are for tourists. In the past they were for degenerates and Macys shoppers.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
Quote:
Times sq and Herald sq are for tourists. In the past they were for degenerates and Macys shoppers.
Both of which are not necessarily different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City