Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You and I could have been neighbors, bluedog. I lived around Thwaites Place/Waring Ave/BPE. After seeing all of the pics of the apartments and stuff, I really wish I didn't sell!!
I figured since you had a condo it was either 610 Waring or 2385 Barker,both just around the corner and up the street.I looked in both of those buildings too.I think I have been in every co op and condo building in The bx.

A really active neighborhood organization has sprung up and things are looking good around here! The Botanical Garden is going to renovate the Waring Avenue entrance.

Here is a link so you can keep up:https://www.facebook.com/groups/BxParkEast/

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-13-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I figured since you had a condo it was either 610 Waring or 2385 Barker,both just around the corner and up the street.I looked in both of those buildings too.I think I have been in every co op and condo building in The bx.

A really active neighborhood organization has sprung up and things are looking good around here! The Botanical Garden is going to renovate the Waring Avenue entrance.

Here is a link so you can keep up:https://www.facebook.com/groups/BxParkEast/
Yep, 610! I found out that the old board president died three years ago in his 80s. I really liked him. He looked out for me, especially since I was a single woman on my own. I have nothing but fond memories of the place....

Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I have friends atop the hill on Arlington...about 255th St. I think.

One of them could stand the commute no more and arranged to work from home. The other drives his car to the subway rather than take one of the buses from 231st or the other drives him and goes back home.

They both judge Riverdale VERY inconvenient for transportation.

I visit them usually on a very occasional Sunday and waiting for that bus is tedious and then walking up "angina hill" is beyond the pale.

So "inconvenient?" Oh yeah!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
238th requires stamina as do the stair streets that head up to Johnson and Edgehill. And, there are some smaller staircases such as from Kapppck to Knolls Crescent and Palisade to the train station. There is a price for light and airy, and it's the hills. Then again, I know some comparatively older people who regularly walk on the neighborhood who are in excellent shape.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have friends atop the hill on Arlington...about 255th St. I think.

One of them could stand the commute no more and arranged to work from home. The other drives his car to the subway rather than take one of the buses from 231st or the other drives him and goes back home.

They both judge Riverdale VERY inconvenient for transportation.

I visit them usually on a very occasional Sunday and waiting for that bus is tedious and then walking up "angina hill" is beyond the pale.

So "inconvenient?" Oh yeah!
I would imagine that taking the city bus to the subway would be annoying. I usually drive to where I need to go, but as I've said before I have friends down in Spuyten Duyvil and also up in North Riverdale. They both commute with Metro North and are home in 25 - 30 minutes.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM

114 posts, read 204,865 times
Thanks to all who provided additional perspective and guidance here. Tends to support my impression that Riverdale (or at least parts of it) has a walkability problem. Walking is VERY important to me, and one of my great sources of enjoyment through 39 years of life in Manhattan, but I've always been lazy about hills and at my age that isn't gonna change. And it's far better for my health as a "senior" to live somewhere flatter and keep walking than to live up a hill and slowly become discouraged from walking at all.

Riaelise, appreciate the input about White Plains Road. Sounds right to me. I was over there again a few days ago and felt more relaxed about it.

Pelham Parkway is so great. I know I'd enjoy living only a block or three away from a bench under a big old tree where I could revel in a sense of space and air, yet still have the sense of urban activity all around.

That is a pretty cool apartment on Mosholu Pkwy, bluedog. I'm trying to avoid co-ops (especially) and condos though, for several reasons. One is that, as my broker keeps reminding me, most don't allow long-term subleasing. So I'd be stuck with moving again in a year or two. I'm not good at moving —I've actually only done it twice in 40 years. I also don't want my cat to be something I have to negotiate as there are way too many other kinks in the process.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
newyorky,this might be an interesting possibility for you if you are still looking for a prewar in Pelham Parkway.Sounds and looks good anyway but who knows.Sometimes I can figure out what building it is by some of the photos but can't tell here so can't advise about quality of building or exact location.Interior photos look typical of apartments in the neighborhood.

$1473*NO FEE* HUGE 2BR- STEPS TO TRANSIT AND SHOPPING MUST SEE

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-25-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Default Wow

OMG, gorgeous, perfect. Like the ones I saw but better. With black appliances as a bonus, LOL. Thanks!!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Posted yesterday and already gone. :'( No surprise, assuming it's legit and photos don't conceal any warts—you couldn't really ask for more for the money. Grrrrrrrr. I put in a nice long Bronx Craigslist session two days ago and found squat. Figures.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
newyorky,this might be an interesting possibility for you if you are still looking for a prewar in Pelham Parkway.Sounds and looks good anyway but who knows.Sometimes I can figure out what building it is by some of the photos but can't tell here so can't advise about quality of building or exact location.Interior photos look typical of apartments in the neighborhood.

$1473*NO FEE* HUGE 2BR- STEPS TO TRANSIT AND SHOPPING MUST SEE
OMG what a BEAUTIFUL apartment. Look at the wainscoting, the floors, the tub. So much charm and character at a nice price!

Sorry Newyorky....maybe try trulia? Not sure if it does rentals as well. Don't give up, if anything, that lets you know that the area is in great demand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City