Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

she'd have to drive on the big bad Cross Bronx Expy to get to Pelham Bay from NJ. she would get to see how The Bronx changes from "bad" to "ok" to "nice" in less than 10 miles!!

well, W 238th street can be in Riverdale if it's from Waldo Avenue and west, tho that is 10463 just as 238th street is also 10463 east of Irwin Avenue up to the JP Reservoir(Kingsbridge)

10463 is the K'bridge post office but that zip code also covers some seriously nice parts of Riverdale too

just like 10470 is Woodlawn but it also covers the northern part of Wakefield too which is 10466

my office building literally sits on the postal boundary line between 10466 and 10470. originally my office zip was 10470 but when the building was extended downstairs and my department moved downstairs our new zip became

Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
she'd have to drive on the big bad Cross Bronx Expy to get to Pelham Bay from NJ. she would get to see how The Bronx changes from "bad" to "ok" to "nice" in less than 10 miles!!

well, W 238th street can be in Riverdale if it's from Waldo Avenue and west, tho that is 10463 just as 238th street is also 10463 east of Irwin Avenue up to the JP Reservoir(Kingsbridge)

10463 is the K'bridge post office but that zip code also covers some seriously nice parts of Riverdale too

just like 10470 is Woodlawn but it also covers the northern part of Wakefield too which is 10466

my office building literally sits on the postal boundary line between 10466 and 10470. originally my office zip was 10470 but when the building was extended downstairs and my department moved downstairs our new zip became
Well you have to admit that driving along most of the expressways in the Bronx isn't exactly "scenic".

Yes West 238th from Waldo and west is Riverdale, but not Broadway. That's Kingsbridge.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM

i don't know how to say it but those areas(Morris Park et al) only may be seen as "declining" by long time residents who view minorities as "outsiders". otherwise those areas mentioned are pretty healthy by Bronx standards.

my immediate area im sure used to be solid Irish but now I see a lot of Albanians and African Americans and Spanish out on the streets. i don't think it is considered to be declining tho. maybe dirtier and more crowded than it used to be tho

Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM

i consider areas like Morris Park, Pelham Bay and Throgs Neck to be on a par with my immediate area in Riverdale; however i would not feel comfortable living in those areas because of a perception that i have that long time residents in those areas are narrow minded and perhaps bigoted and would not take well to me because i am a certain age and not married(and i am straight too). i feel like i don't owe anybody any explanations about how i choose to live

we even have plenty of bigots in my area too. ive been approached by narrow minded older people in public who for some reason perceive me to have a "problem" because i am alone and not with anyone. they have actually had the audacity to tell me that i should be married when they have never even met me and don't even know me. they must be miserable and want me to be miserable too

but still this area is more liberal than the Eastern Bronx and therefore i perceive it to be a more tolerant place

Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM

238th west of Waldo is Riverdale. Riverdale is Fieldston and 238th, Riverdale and 238th, Johnson and 238th, H Hudson Pkwy, Independence Ave, is all Riverdale despite being in 10463

238th and Irwin, Tibbett, Corlear, Kingsbridge, Broadway, Bailey, Ft Independence St, Sedgwick Ave--all Kingsbridge

Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM

the only nice thing about the Cross Bronx is that you get to think how close you are to Connecticut when you see the signs for I 95 north towards New Haven. the Bronx border is actually less than 15 miles from the Connecticut state line

Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
You would think the days of the Bronx burning never happened...
That was a long time ago. And there were many neighborhoods that never burned.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i consider areas like Morris Park, Pelham Bay and Throgs Neck to be on a par with my immediate area in Riverdale; however i would not feel comfortable living in those areas because of a perception that i have that long time residents in those areas are narrow minded and perhaps bigoted and would not take well to me because i am a certain age and not married(and i am straight too). i feel like i don't owe anybody any explanations about how i choose to live

we even have plenty of bigots in my area too. ive been approached by narrow minded older people in public who for some reason perceive me to have a "problem" because i am alone and not with anyone. they have actually had the audacity to tell me that i should be married when they have never even met me and don't even know me. they must be miserable and want me to be miserable too

but still this area is more liberal than the Eastern Bronx and therefore i perceive it to be a more tolerant place
There are several other areas that are nice besides Morris Park, Pelham Bay and Throggs Neck. I've never had anyone question me about my marital status in New York City (other than those who wanted to pick me up). That is very odd.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
OK, now that I am home, Grosvenor, I can finally post my thoughts of what might be happening. It could very well be the early stages of a buying spree. Here is my post in the LI forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Here's the word from the head of our team who lives in Great Neck -

Apparently there has been a spike in buying activity in the North Shore by nationals from CHINA. These are foreigners looking for places to park their money. And Port Washington is a very hot market for China buyers/investors notwithstanding the lower reputation of its school district relative to its neighbors. Forget the dysfunctional politics or rising taxes. Sellers are getting multiple offers that jack up the sales prices.

So what mongoose may have observed in Levitt etc. could be in part spillover activity where buyers who have been shut out from the NS now looking for other places to buy, but I also think this is partly influenced as well by suburban migration by immigrant families from Queens.

What a BIG turn of fortunes this is for the homeowners in TOH, TONH and TOOB.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
OK, now that I am home, Grosvenor, I can finally post my thoughts of what might be happening. It could very well be the early stages of a buying spree. Here is my post in the LI forums:
Grosvenor stated that the over dressed mystery people he's been seeing in Riverdale are black and hispanic, so I doubt they are part of a Chinese invasion but I guess anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City