Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where these tracks go and if they're used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Of course they're used, that's a huge freight line. Goes throughout Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island. The Hells Gate Bridge was built for that track

Old 06-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Really? I have never seen a train on
That track. I wish that track would be used for a passenger line. I go to the Bronx and Brooklyn all the time and having an option to not have to go throught Manhattan would shorten my trip significantly.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
That track. I wish that track would be used for a passenger line. I go to the Bronx and Brooklyn all the time and having an option to not have to go throught Manhattan would shorten my trip significantly.
Have you come across the Triboro RX before? Since it looks like something just about perfect for you, you should lobby your local representatives. Getting this and maybe some way of having the G go all the way to Forest Hills again would be interesting.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you come across the Triboro RX before? Since it looks like something just about perfect for you, you should lobby your local representatives. Getting this and maybe some way of having the G go all the way to Forest Hills again would be interesting.
We are in no danger of having Triboro RX happening anytime soon. No amount of letter writing is going to change that at this point. Part of the Second Avenue funding was justified because the Lexington Avenue line is so credit, so they knew the Second Avenue Subway would get lots of riders. Not sure there much demand to go from Brooklyn and Queens to the Bronx.

That and the MTA doesn't even operate the G at capacity. It doesn't go to Forest Hills because most riders from Queens go to Manhattan.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
We are in no danger of having Triboro RX happening anytime soon. No amount of letter writing is going to change that at this point. Part of the Second Avenue funding was justified because the Lexington Avenue line is so credit, so they knew the Second Avenue Subway would get lots of riders. Not sure there much demand to go from Brooklyn and Queens to the Bronx.

That and the MTA doesn't even operate the G at capacity. It doesn't go to Forest Hills because most riders from Queens go to Manhattan.
The G is overcapacity now. I have heard that they will be adding more cars. Ridership has increased with transfers at Metropolitan Ave (L) & Court Sq (E, M).

Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
The G is overcapacity now. I have heard that they will be adding more cars. Ridership has increased with transfers at Metropolitan Ave (L) & Court Sq (E, M).
That's why I said the G is undercapacity. They do not run full length trains on the G. G service could be both more frequent, and they could use longer cars. So if they are not even using the full capacity of the G, a Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx line is way out of the question.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
I see and hear trains on those tracks down by ridgewood/Glendale all of the time. I think they go all the way down to bay ridge.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I understand funding's tight and this is not a priority. Creating any call to action to build the line would have to be a slow accretion of demand. If a buildup in requests for this does happen, then the Triboro RX could actually happen--it'd just take quite a while. Part of what makes the Triboro RX even tractable though is the fairly low cost of it given that its route already has most of its right-of-way secured and that the route goes into several dense areas where no rapid transit currently exist. The Second Avenue Subway does have much higher demand, but building it is incredibly costly since it involves a lot of tunnel boring and construction in some of the most expensive and crowded areas of the city.

The G's more of a stretch, but adding extended service areas is different from running more traincars on the G. It's allowing for different transit patterns and given the growth of areas along the current G train stops in both entertainment and job options, there would be a steadily growing number of riders who could utilize the G. The G's had steady above system-wide average growth in ridership for several years now. There's also pretty much nil construction that needs to be done.

Another, fantasy though possibly useful in the future addition that would not cost absurd amounts of money would be to have a station for the J/M built directly above the Broadway G stop--including possibly closing one or both of the adjacent J/M stops which are currently already close together. Both of these lines are underutilized, but making a connection between the two could reinforce ridership for the both of them since it gives people living on the G train an alternative to getting to downtown Manhattan, the Lower East Side, and growing south Williamsburg and Bushwick while offering J/M riders a good alternative to getting to LIC, North Brooklyn, and downtown Brooklyn.

I don't think any of these three will happen soon, but they do represent relatively inexpensive ways to improve and better utilize the current transit system. There's always the argument that having these connections could actually spur development patterns to make use of these new possible commute patterns. In a city that is once again witnessing steady population growth, these could be pretty valuable.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-16-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 02:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Nykiddo would most likely voice his opinion very soon on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City